Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
link

Quote:
Study: Texting And Driving Kills More Teens Annually Than Drinking And Driving

Texting while driving has now surpassed drinking and driving as the leading cause of death among teens, according to a new study.

More than 3,000 teens die annually from texting while driving, compared to about 2,700 for driving under the influence of alcohol, according to a study by Cohen Children’s Medical Center in New Hyde Park.

Despite a national ad campaign and a national dialogue on the dangers, the study reveals stunning new numbers: 50 percent of students text while driving and half of high school kids who drive said they text behind the wheel, CBS 2′s Carolyn Gusoff reported.

“The reality is kids aren’t drinking seven days per week — they are carrying their phones and texting seven days per week, so you intuitively know this a more common occurrence,” Dr. Andrew Adesman, Chief Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, Cohen Children’s Medical Center told Gusoff.

Adesman, the chief author of the study, found that laws against texting while driving are not effective. Fifty-seven percent of boys said they text while driving in states with texting laws, and 59 percent said they text while driving in states that don’t have texting laws, according to the study.

Many are not surprised by the results.

“People are texting and driving all the time,” one man told WCBS 880′s Mike Xirinachs. “I don’t know the exact way to do it, but something’s gotta be done.”

“Every single day I see it,” one driver said. “People driving along, texting, talking on their phone. They’re not supposed to do it, but they do it — kids, grown-ups, everybody does it.”

“I’ve seen it firsthand, it does cause accidents, it’s dangerous and it’s irresponsible,” a former police officer told 1010 WINS’ John Montone. “A vehicle is a weapon, just as a gun or a knife, and you can kill people. You don’t deserve to have a driver’s license and that level of responsibility where you can kill people if you’re not willing to take precautions, such as not texting and driving.”

Statistics show that if you are communicating by text while driving a vehicle, you are 23 times more likely to crash.

Some schools have been taking measures to make sure its students stay safe.

Students at the New York Institute of Technology in Old Westbury and Freeport High School participated in driving simulations demonstrating the dangers of texting behind the wheel.

Teachers are also taking matters into their own hands by sending their students a strong message about the deadly consequences of texting while driving.

Manhattan schoolteacher Julius Khan said he tells his students to “think about your mother and father crying over your grave or someone’s else grave that you’re responsible for killing.”

“Pay attention to what you’re doing because the life you save could be your own,” Khan added.

Lawmakers have also been pushing for tougher distracted driving laws.

In March, Long Island State Senator Charles Fuschillo proposed harsher penalties for distracted drivers, including increased fines for talking or texting on a cellphone and stricter measures for repeat offenders.

“It goes up to $400 but all the penalties in the world aren’t going to stop someone from being irresponsible,” Fuschillo said.

One possible solution is more widespread use of phone apps that restrict texts and calls from coming in when it detects the phone is in a moving car, Adesman said.

Loyal Exhibitionist

I'm not surprised that people are texting while driving. I've seen some... "inspiring" photos of the "last texts" they have sent or was going to send before they got into a serious or lethal accident. If that doesn't make people rethink about texting while driving, I don't think anything will.

However, making it so some apps doesn't function in a moving car (or any vehicle, really) sounds like a good first step.

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
Hasuki Aatisuto
I'm not surprised that people are texting while driving. I've seen some... "inspiring" photos of the "last texts" they have sent or was going to send before they got into a serious or lethal accident. If that doesn't make people rethink about texting while driving, I don't think anything will.

However, making it so some apps doesn't function in a moving car (or any vehicle, really) sounds like a good first step.

I've seen several of those commercials. People dying over "LOL" and such. Not worth wasting your life over. When you text and drive, you may as well be driving with your eyes closed.

However, I disagree with the no apps in a moving vehicle thing. For one, I use a lot of apps while I'm in the passenger seat. A lot of the time, I'll have Youtube play some Vocaloid songs when someone else is driving and we aren't talking about anything. Not to mention all the people who text and use apps on trains.
Hasuki Aatisuto

Eh, I wouldn't agree with the last part

I have my GPS on all the time in my car, and my phone is in a dock, so it's already in my eye line in case a message pops up, and if it's urgent, I'll use the voice message to respond, when I've confirmed it's safe. Not to mention when I have a passenger and need to know something about the destination, or check my calender, or them doing whatever they want with their phones
Hasuki Aatisuto

What is it with society trying to protect the foolish from their own actions. Educate people about what happens when you're texting while driving, show them actual pictures of accidents which happened due to texting while driving. If that fails, well their loss.

Might sound harsh but putting restrictions on apps functioning in a moving car is just not possible.

Loyal Exhibitionist

Ringoringa
Hasuki Aatisuto

I've seen several of those commercials. People dying over "LOL" and such. Not worth wasting your life over. When you text and drive, you may as well be driving with your eyes closed.

However, I disagree with the no apps in a moving vehicle thing. For one, I use a lot of apps while I'm in the passenger seat. A lot of the time, I'll have Youtube play some Vocaloid songs when someone else is driving and we aren't talking about anything. Not to mention all the people who text and use apps on trains.

Yes, I do admit that the idea is novel, but it likely won't work for the reasons you just stated. There are people that are not driving that would still want to use the apps for entrainment, work or emergencies.

Maybe they could make it so for the car to start, you need to hook up your device. It allows you to start up your car but locks out certain apps. However, people can get around that by simply getting a second device to text on, so that's still a flaw.

They have a lot to think about on this one, because I do not really see a way how to "lock out" certain apps in a moving vehicle.

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
Hasuki Aatisuto
Ringoringa
Hasuki Aatisuto

Yes, I do admit that the idea is novel, but it likely won't work for the reasons you just stated. There are people that are not driving that would still want to use the apps for entrainment, work or emergencies.

Maybe they could make it so for the car to start, you need to hook up your device. It allows you to start up your car but locks out certain apps. However, people can get around that by simply getting a second device to text on, so that's still a flaw.

They have a lot to think about on this one, because I do not really see a way how to "lock out" certain apps in a moving vehicle.

Then you run into the problem of people who don't actually have a cellphone or any other sort of a device for whatever reason (they're rare, but still), so they won't be able to start up their car. And you can't just make it so some cars have the feature and some don't, because then the people who want to text will just get the cars that don't do that.

It's a very difficult little conundrum. Texting and driving is significantly worse than drinking and driving. Not that drinking and driving isn't bad, but at least drunks have their eyes on the road. It can also be hard to tell just who's doing it from looking through the window alone. A guy who seems to be texting as they drive by a police car may have only been looking away for that split second he went by to turn on the radio. Not that police may notice, anyway, since I drove by one not too long ago who was texting and driving, himself. Nearly swerved into my lane. gonk I was terrified that my first accident was going to be a head-on collision with a police officer. Sure, it would have been his fault, and it would have been sorted out once they saw the dash cam video, but what if he'd cuffed me and taken me to jail in the meantime like the total d**k he clearly was? I'm too soft for jail! crying
Three cheers for Darwin!

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
It only gave the stats for boys, but knowing how social girls are the stats for them are more than likely higher than 57-59%.

You don't have to respond to a text right away. It's not a phone call. Texts exist for the sole reason of being able to reply later, and also so you don't have to talk to someone so that they can't hear the emotion in your voice. But really it's more the former than the latter.

Apocalyptic Rogue

21,100 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Are they not showing what happens to distracted drivers type videos to teenagers anymore?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff