Welcome to Gaia! ::

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
victor gusta queso
Kaiser Khorosho
To me, I understand what the guy did was perfectly legal. He has a right to carry a rifle. But is it really SMART? What purpose did it serve? He said he was hiking with his son.

As a former Boyscout (and Eagle Scout) I do not recall us EVER hiking (or camping, for that matter) with a gun. The camps we went to had guns at the ranges and such but NONE of our scout masters had a gun on their person.

Back to the "smart" part. 99% of the population does not know the law. Before this incident, I had NO IDEA you could openly carry a rifle in public. I knew in certain cities you can carry a pistol in a holster without a permit, but an actual RIFLE? Of course someone is going to call the police.

The only mistake that was made was the cop trying to take the gun without asking for it first, then a whole lot of factors kicked in (the guy grabbing for his gun due to training, and the cop going into fight for your life mode when a suspect, which he was called out to investigate, tries to grab his gun back.) I'm sorry but if a guy tries to grab a gun out of a cop's hand, what is he supposed to do?

I think its bad on BOTH parties here. The cop for not asking for the gun and the guy for carrying a rifle for no reason. If he had a concealed .45, he had no reason to be carrying the rifle. Its not NORMAL. It defies convention. Someone called him out on it and it bit him in the a**. Just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean you should do it JUST BECAUSE.

I'm sorry, but that's how I see it.

Are you kidding? It's Texas. Everyone knows about the controversy over being able to carry guns in public. They were in the woods camping, not some boyscout campground, actual woods. With wild boar and mountain lions. How would you suggest they protect themselves from wild animals? It doesn't say anywhere that someone called it in, just that the officer reacted badly to seeing someone with a gun, in a state where he should know the laws he's supposed to be enforcing.
The vet wasn't in the wrong. At all. He was minding his own business when a so-called officer of the law decided to pick a fight with him for no reason. How do you explain the rest of the officer's behavior? Interrogating a minor? Holding the kid without parental permission? Arresting the man for simply walking around with a gun, as is his right to do?

It LOOKED like he was on the highway, not in the woods, and the officer said that someone called it in which is why he claimed to be out there. And umm...I live in Texas and I didn't know about the "rifle in public is okay" law. I figured if it was in certain designated places, IE a gun range or a hunting lease, then yeah, but this guy was on the side of the road.

And like I said before, a single mistake escalated the whole situation. If the officer had asked for the gun, all this could have been avoided. Instead, the officer grabbed the gun, and he grabbed it back, and the cop, LIKE HE IS TRAINED TO DO, pulled on the "suspect" (rightfully suspected or not) because he tried for his own gun in a fast and aggressive manor. After that, the cop's other actions are normal. The cop thought the guy might be dangerous because he grabbed for his rifle.

That is the only thing the vet did wrong was reach for his rifle from an officer of the law. That looks bad WHATEVER the situation.

Dapper Dabbler

10,300 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
Kaiser Khorosho
victor gusta queso
Kaiser Khorosho
To me, I understand what the guy did was perfectly legal. He has a right to carry a rifle. But is it really SMART? What purpose did it serve? He said he was hiking with his son.

As a former Boyscout (and Eagle Scout) I do not recall us EVER hiking (or camping, for that matter) with a gun. The camps we went to had guns at the ranges and such but NONE of our scout masters had a gun on their person.

Back to the "smart" part. 99% of the population does not know the law. Before this incident, I had NO IDEA you could openly carry a rifle in public. I knew in certain cities you can carry a pistol in a holster without a permit, but an actual RIFLE? Of course someone is going to call the police.

The only mistake that was made was the cop trying to take the gun without asking for it first, then a whole lot of factors kicked in (the guy grabbing for his gun due to training, and the cop going into fight for your life mode when a suspect, which he was called out to investigate, tries to grab his gun back.) I'm sorry but if a guy tries to grab a gun out of a cop's hand, what is he supposed to do?

I think its bad on BOTH parties here. The cop for not asking for the gun and the guy for carrying a rifle for no reason. If he had a concealed .45, he had no reason to be carrying the rifle. Its not NORMAL. It defies convention. Someone called him out on it and it bit him in the a**. Just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean you should do it JUST BECAUSE.

Are you kidding? It's Texas. Everyone knows about the controversy over being able to carry guns in public. They were in the woods camping, not some boyscout campground, actual woods. With wild boar and mountain lions. How would you suggest they protect themselves from wild animals? It doesn't say anywhere that someone called it in, just that the officer reacted badly to seeing someone with a gun, in a state where he should know the laws he's supposed to be enforcing.
The vet wasn't in the wrong. At all. He was minding his own business when a so-called officer of the law decided to pick a fight with him for no reason. How do you explain the rest of the officer's behavior? Interrogating a minor? Holding the kid without parental permission? Arresting the man for simply walking around with a gun, as is his right to do?

It LOOKED like he was on the highway, not in the woods, and the officer said that someone called it in which is why he claimed to be out there. And umm...I live in Texas and I didn't know about the "rifle in public is okay" law. I figured if it was in certain designated places, IE a gun range or a hunting lease, then yeah, but this guy was on the side of the road.

And like I said before, a single mistake escalated the whole situation. If the officer had asked for the gun, all this could have been avoided. Instead, the officer grabbed the gun, and he grabbed it back, and the cop, LIKE HE IS TRAINED TO DO, pulled on the "suspect" (rightfully suspected or not) because he tried for his own gun in a fast and aggressive manor. After that, the cop's other actions are normal. The cop thought the guy might be dangerous because he grabbed for his rifle.

That is the only thing the vet did wrong was reach for his rifle from an officer of the law. That looks bad WHATEVER the situation.

He said he was going on a hike. They were most likely walking towards their destination. He had a purpose for the gun, and he told the officers this, but they decided to go with the whole, guilty until proven innocent approach.
Regardless of whether you know the law or not, it is still the law. You can call it in, but that is still not reasonable suspicion to arrest the man, or even disarm him. Walking down the street with a gun in Texas is not illegal, and is not reasonable suspicion to attack the man.
But I forgot that we now live in a police state where the cops can do whatever they damn well please, and arrest anyone who stands in their way.
It just disgusts me that they seemed like they had no idea what they were doing. They don't know the law, they stood around for several minutes trying to come up with some reason to arrest the guy. This isn't even considering all the laws they broke when taking the child home and detaining him.

Familiar Poster

....Ten mile hike with his son with a rifle out....Why?

Dangerous Citizen

6,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Guildmember 100
Zered Heizien
obligatory "why you shouldnt live in Texas" and "why people dont trust the police" post.

most likely nothing will happen to this corrupt cop, which is par for the course in this country.
and if they do they will do it silently without making a media circus about it.

Dangerous Citizen

6,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Guildmember 100
zaptar13
. where else will you have a rifle be where it can be used quickly if the need arises? (dangerous wild animal For example.)
Huh for some reason I didn't know this happened in Temple, could've sworn it was San Antonio. Will have to ask my husband what he's heard about this..we live in Temple and most of our friends are gun enthusiasts.

Familiar Poster

Jeremy Kaji
zaptar13
. where else will you have a rifle be where it can be used quickly if the need arises? (dangerous wild animal For example.)
Dangerous wild animal on a hike on the road in Texas? Mhmm. All those reports of Lions and Tigers and Bears in Texas mauling hikers in suburbia.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Kaiser Khorosho

It wasn't a "just because" thing. The area they were hiking in is famous for cougars and whatnot. So he's hardly to blame at all.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
zaptar13
Jeremy Kaji
zaptar13
Dangerous wild animal on a hike on the road in Texas? Mhmm. All those reports of Lions and Tigers and Bears in Texas mauling hikers in suburbia.

It was in the country. They were in the middle of a hike to get his son's final badge before he was promoted to Eagle Scout and they had the camera to document the hike for proof. The rifle was protection in case they were attacked in the woods by animals. I get that cougars aren't often seen anymore, but imagine running into a diamond back...

Conservative Voter

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
  • Signature Look 250
Alexander J Luthor
zaptar13
Jeremy Kaji
zaptar13

It was in the country. They were in the middle of a hike to get his son's final badge before he was promoted to Eagle Scout and they had the camera to document the hike for proof. The rifle was protection in case they were attacked in the woods by animals. I get that cougars aren't often seen anymore, but imagine running into a diamond back...

They were more concerned about Wild Hogs. Apparently they can be extremely violent. Of course, he was ready for cougars too, but mostly he was concerned about wild hogs.

Familiar Poster

Alexander J Luthor
zaptar13
Jeremy Kaji
zaptar13

A snake? I don't think anybody needs a rifle if they run into a single snake. Maybe if there was like 30 ******** diamondbacks pissed at you but that's unlikely.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Kasumi of Vientown
Alexander J Luthor
zaptar13
Jeremy Kaji
zaptar13

They were more concerned about Wild Hogs. Apparently they can be extremely violent. Of course, he was ready for cougars too, but mostly he was concerned about wild hogs.

I believe it. I knew a guy in high school who would go to Hawaii to spend the summer with his dad. People don't know wild hogs are rampant on some of the islands, and he was almost mauled by a pack when he fell off his bike and down a hill, but luckily a farmer knew they were in the area and he scared the pigs off with a shotgun.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
zaptar13
Alexander J Luthor
zaptar13
Jeremy Kaji
zaptar13

A snake? I don't think anybody needs a rifle if they run into a single snake. Maybe if there was like 30 ******** diamondbacks pissed at you but that's unlikely.

Diamondbacks are quick, and though a lot of people claim they only attack in defense, that's slowly changing as we take up their natural land. They're being pushed into a corner and are more likely to strike now.

Familiar Poster

Alexander J Luthor
zaptar13
Alexander J Luthor
zaptar13
Jeremy Kaji
zaptar13

Diamondbacks are quick, and though a lot of people claim they only attack in defense, that's slowly changing as we take up their natural land. They're being pushed into a corner and are more likely to strike now.
Well then just back away from them and if you're really worried about it you can have a concealed pistol available.

Blessed Phantom

5,600 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100
Old story. Very convenient that Grisham's video doesn't show us what happened at the beginning of the encounter. Under Texas law, police are allowed to question someone carrying a weapon, even if that person has a permit, and they are allowed to disarm that person during the questioning. If Grisham resisted their questioning or refused to disarm for them, then their actions are not inappropriate.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff