Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Tenants of a rented apartment may stand up while peeing in their own bathroom and not worry about the consequences, a German court said Thursday.

The district court in the western city of Duesseldorf ruled in favour of a man suing the owner of his flat for the full refund of his 3,000-euro ($3,490) deposit, the court said in a ruling obtained by national news agency DPA.

The proprietor had told the tenant he would withhold 1,900 euros because the marble floor of the washroom was permanently stained by splashed urine.

Judge Stefan Hank agreed with an expert's report that it was in fact uric acid that had eaten through the floor but said that standing to urinate was widespread.

He said the flat's owner should have made his tenant aware that the marble was highly vulnerable.

"Despite the increasing domestication of men in this area, urinating while standing up is indeed still common practice," Hank said in the ruling.

"Someone who still practises this previously dominant custom is regularly confronted with significant disputes, particularly with female cohabitants. However normally he must not reckon with damage to the marble floor of a bathroom or guest toilet."

Tenants' rights are a frequent subject of litigation in Germany.

Last June, the same Duesseldorf court ruled that an elderly smoker must vacate his home of around 40 years after neighbours complained about his cigarette smoke.

It said that the pensioner had not tried to prevent smoke from seeping into the communal hallway of the apartment building and had failed to adequately air his flat and empty his ash trays, it said.

I C U P

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
If you can pay 3,000 euros for the down payment alone, but you can't wipe up the goddamn splashback, you're a lazy, disgusting pig.

Dedicated Student

Alexander J Luthor
If you can pay 3,000 euros for the down payment alone, but you can't wipe up the goddamn splashback, you're a lazy, disgusting pig.

This is what I was thinking. He could have at leaste put something around the toilet. By all means he should be allowed to stand and pee, but he should be cleaning up after himself too. Hopefully this guy has to pay for damages. I know I would unintentional or not with a few exceptions. Normal wear and tear is one of those.

Feral Nymph

Lupa Fangs Makucha
Alexander J Luthor

This is what I was thinking. He could have at leaste put something around the toilet. By all means he should be allowed to stand and pee, but he should be cleaning up after himself too. Hopefully this guy has to pay for damages. I know I would unintentional or not with a few exceptions. Normal wear and tear is one of those.

He probably won't have to pay, since he won. So, victory for the people who mess up your apartment by being gross.

12,925 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Generous 100
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Alexander J Luthor

Like these!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Alexander J Luthor

Lazy is a big word when you consider he (and others like him) doesn't even make it a point to aim and shoot in the first place. A male dog does better.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Yobyaxes T
Isn't there a law in certain European countries where it's against the law to urinate standing up? Because it's "patriarchal"?

Pretty sure it's about hygiene and I don't think it's the law anywhere; it's just customary

Ferocious Browser

those court rulings appear backwards to me.

they kick out the guy whos been living and smoking there for 40 years instead of requiring to simply air out his flat.

yet they allow these douche nozzle to keep his deposit despite causing damage to the property, who really cares WHY it was caused. it was caused and deposits are there to cover precisely that.

Big Member

10,675 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Brandisher 100
Germany charging extra euros if you pee while standing up?

Better drink my own piss.

Green Smoker

If you sprinkle while you tinkle, please be neat & wipe the seat.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Morgue

Oh, it wasn't on the seat...

Green Smoker

JamesWN
Morgue

Oh, it wasn't on the seat...

Yes, I know but same deal. If you spray piss, you wipe it up. Pretty gross to just leave your bodily fluids sitting there like that.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Young King under Heaven
Yobyaxes T
Isn't there a law in certain European countries where it's against the law to urinate standing up? Because it's "patriarchal"?

Pretty sure it's about hygiene and I don't think it's the law anywhere; it's just customary

Wait, seriously? What a joke.
I usually stand, sometimes I sit. But when I stand I aim.

I really don't think the problem here was the guy standing.
I think the problem was the guy not cleaning his bathroom. Though it is also possible he is a horrible aim or gets drunk or whatever. But still... clean up once in a while.

And it's rather dumb IMO to tile around a toilet with anything that won't stand up to what goes in or can come out of a toilet.

Apparently this is a problem sometimes with pets as well.
These guys sell a kit they claim fixes it.
http://www.marble-cleaning-products.com/blog/how-to-remove-a-urine-stain-from-a-marble-floor/

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff