Welcome to Gaia! ::

12,925 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Generous 100
A Chicago-area high school pulled a senior student from class on Thursday after he showed up to school wearing a Jesus costume for Halloween. Shortly after, the school then reversed its decision and allowed the teen to return to class wearing the costume.

Angenetta Frison, mother of Marshon Sanders, a senior at Highland Park High School in Chicago's northern suburbs, said in a statement to a local news outlet that her son was asked to remove his Jesus costume after two teachers at his high school reportedly complained that the costume was offensive. The costume consisted of a long white robe, red sash, head scarf and large cross around his neck.

"I encouraged him to dress as someone inspiring or uplifting," Frison told the local Lake County News-Sun of her son's costume, adding that when she asked the school's dean what was so offensive about the costume, she didn't receive a direct answer. "When I asked her what she meant by offensive, she couldn't tell me," Frison said. "He's walking around dressed like Jesus, a religious icon. What's offensive about that?"

The mother went on to tell ABC 7 News that other students at the school reportedly dressed as Mormons, priests, and even the biblical character Moses, and were not ordered to change out of their costume like her son was. His costume last year was an outfit meant to resemble the rap artist formerly known as Snoop Dogg, and that costume was reportedly acceptable to teachers.

Melinda Vajdic, a school spokeswoman, told the local ABC 7 News that the teen's costume could be interpreted as violating one of the Halloween dress code requirements sent to students prior to the Thursday holiday. One of the rules states that no costume shall "be offensive or perpetuate a stereotype of someone's culture, gender, sexual orientation, heritage or religion."

Vajdic said the teen's costume could be interpreted by some as perpetuating a "religious stereotype." "Costumes trivialize," Vajdic said. "I'm sure that wasn't his intent, but we want to maintain a culture of mutual respect," she added.

The school then said in a follow-up statement to ABC 7 that it had reconsidered the Jesus costume, and ultimately allowed the teen to return to class wearing his original outfit. "We initially were concerned that the costume could be offensive to religious sensibilities. Upon further review, we realized the student did not intend to be offensive. Therefore, the school communicated to the student that he could wear the costume," the statement said.

This is not the first time religious-themed Halloween costumes have proven to be a delicate subject at schools. In 2008, Alex Woinski, an eighth-grader at West Brook Middle School in Paramus, New Jersey was sent home for dressing as Jesus to school. According to Fox News, the school's superintendent reportedly said at the time that the school did not allow any costumes that could possibly be distracting to faculty and students.

Link

Ferocious Browser

It was meant to be inspiring, so I really don't see the issue.

In fact though, I wouldn't see the issue either way. My high school always had 1-2 Jesus' a year come dressed up. My boyfriends job had one last year come as 'black Jesus'.

Some people really need a thicker skin about meaningless s**t like Halloween costumes.

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
My school stopped letting people dress up for Halloween at all; at least, when I was still going to public school. They were worried that the costumes would scare the little kids.

Sparkly Hunter

8,900 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
They became upset over a Jesus costume? Gosh, that's like people getting pissed about people dressing up as Santa for Christmas, isn't it? I mean, I dressed up as a zombie and you don't see survivalist being jerks to me.
So this story is about 2 people being stupid and the organization they work for telling them to stop being stupid. How long do you think it will be before people turn it into 'the school hates christians?'

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
What are the odds of someone being offended by another person dressing up as Jesus Christ here in America? Majority of the people in this country must be some kind of Christian, whether it's Protestant, Catholic, or Mormon. Some of them may even go to a church that does a re-enactment of the Crucifixion around Easter, and somebody has to play the role of Jesus.

Devoted Hunter

So that's the new thing?
I'd feel out of place dressed as Aleister Crowley.

Lonely Poster

7,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Eveille

In fact though, I wouldn't see the issue either way. My high school always had 1-2 Jesus' a year come dressed up. My boyfriends job had one last year come as 'black Jesus'.

Some people really need a thicker skin about meaningless s**t like Halloween costumes.

Actually, considering where Jesus lived earthly, he was probably of darker skin...

Ferocious Browser

13 Mockingjay
Eveille

Actually, considering where Jesus lived earthly, he was probably of darker skin...

Semitic/Arab/middle eastern color is the most historically accurate to me.

But anyway, I said 'black Jesus' because that is literally what he named his own costume. So that was kinda up to him.

Swashbuckling Humorist

14,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Avalon-Demon-Slayer
They became upset over a Jesus costume? Gosh, that's like people getting pissed about people dressing up as Santa for Christmas, isn't it? I mean, I dressed up as a zombie and you don't see survivalist being jerks to me.

I think they were more upset that the kid might have impure intentions in dressing up as Jesus. When they determined he didn't they let him keep it on.

Kawaii Shoujo

Avalon-Demon-Slayer
Apparently last year a teenager was suspended from school when he and his buddy dressed up as Santa Claus and an elf, they told a teacher that they were gonna do it, and pass out candy canes to their fellow students. But despite the fact that they informed the teacher of the plan, the moment they were in costume, they were hauled to the principal's office.
I thought this s**t only happened in the South

Adored Sweetheart

Always disliked those costumes never felt right. And almost always it's for to make fun.

Very foolish to not think it would be a touchy subject. >< Glad the school at least care enuf for people of faith.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Anne Packrat
Avalon-Demon-Slayer

I think they were more upset that the kid might have impure intentions in dressing up as Jesus. When they determined he didn't they let him keep it on.

Y'mean, like, afraid he was doing some "Buddy Christ" schtick, or one of those "Zombie Jesus" or "Judgement Day is here! Show me your tatas and I shall judge them" type-things?

I could see the concern, there. I mean, Hell, locally all the Halloween shops had a whole religious section with various priest, nun, rabbi and religious figure costumes, and such "inspired" props as a fake book with a cover that read "the Holy Hammered" that, when you opened the cover, was hollow and contained a flask and two shot glasses. "Offensive religious gag costumes" were a big thing, right up there with "the guy or guys ( ? ) from Duck Dynasty, inexplicably."

On another note: what in the Holy Hell is a "Mormon costume?"

Feline Lunatic

52,790 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Citizen 200
So you can't dress up as Jesus, unless it is inspirational and thus won't offend anyone??
So that means all those who dress up as Odin or Thor or Zeus, etc. can't because it might make those who worship those people upset??
Good to know.
What I find offensive?? They only care about people dressing up as Jesus and offending Christians and not other religious figures from other religions, which may offend people of these other religions.
If people can dress up as Zeus, Freya, Hindu Gods, etc. then they should be able to dress up as Jesus. Get over yourselves people. *rolls eyes*

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff