Welcome to Gaia! ::

Divine Muse

Quote:
Alex Stone, a high school student in Summerville, S.C., says he was suspended on the first day of school and detained by police for a joke.

That joke? A series of mock Facebook statuses for a class assignment in which he made up a story about buying a gun to kill a dinosaur.

Stone’s mother had a beautiful reaction to what the family believes is an overreach by authorities. “I mean, first of all, we don’t have dinosaurs anymore,” Karen Gray told CBS affiliate WCSC. “Second of all, he’s not even old enough to buy a gun.”

Stone told WCSC that the class work in question included a fictional scene in which, he said, “I killed my neighbor’s pet dinosaur, and then, in the next status, I said I bought the gun to take care of the business.”

After his teacher reported the fictional scenes to school administrators, things escalated.

Police have a different take on the incident, focusing on the last part of Stone’s fake status, where the teenager says he “bought a gun” to “take care of business.” Authorities told The Post and Courier that officers entered Summerville High School to search Stone’s belongings after the student explained to administrators that the assignment was “just a joke.”

In an earlier report on the incident, district officials told WCIV that a student wrote about bringing a gun to school, for which he was taken into custody.

He was detained for disorderly conduct, based on what police describe as his “irate” demeanor during the search. Stone’s mother told WCSC that her son was suspended from school for the rest of the week.

Police did not find a gun during their search.

No word on the condition, existence or species of the dinosaur.

Source

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Isn't fictional storytelling protected under free speech?

Feral Nymph

Blood Valkyrie

Perceived threats are not. And it's really not a stretch to see how a single status update reading "I bought the gun to take care of the business." out of context might look like a threat. If he had said the "I bought a gun then killed a dinosaur" all under one heading, I might not have given this a second glance. But I don't know about you, but on the rare instances I check Facebook, I don't get all status updates on my feed in a sequential order.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Pessimist
Blood Valkyrie

Perceived threats are not. And it's really not a stretch to see how a single status update reading "I bought the gun to take care of the business." out of context might look like a threat. If he had said the "I bought a gun then killed a dinosaur" all under one heading, I might not have given this a second glance. But I don't know about you, but on the rare instances I check Facebook, I don't get all status updates on my feed in a sequential order.

So, they didn't see the parts about the dinosaur.

Feral Nymph

Blood Valkyrie
Pessimist
Blood Valkyrie

Whoever reported him to the authorities may not have. He mentioned the dinosaur in different status update, apparently separate from the one mentioning a gun. I know on my personal feed I don't necessarily get status updates from friends in any sort of order that makes sense.

Dangerous Lunatic

12,650 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Invisibility 100
  • Demonic Associate 100

Kawaii Shoujo

emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Pessimist
Blood Valkyrie
Pessimist
Blood Valkyrie

Whoever reported him to the authorities may not have. He mentioned the dinosaur in different status update, apparently separate from the one mentioning a gun. I know on my personal feed I don't necessarily get status updates from friends in any sort of order that makes sense.

That, plus another take could be that one post possibly made him look delusional (I killed a dinosaur) and the other made him sound like armed delusional (I bought a gun).

In a sense it was over reacting but on the other hand had the police ignored the call from the school and then he shot somebody there would have been parents screaming bloody murder and suing the school and the police for not doing their jobs to keep their kids safe. It seems like a no win for the cops. Immature kid probably was over reacting during the search.

Fictional or not, it's rather stupid to post on FB that you bought a gun (illegally since you are a minor) and that you killed anything belonging to your neighbor. Had he written one long continuous story that was obviously a work of fiction it would likely have gone better.

I do think being suspended for a week was overkill on the part of the school. Unless it was based more on stuff he said / did during the search than the fictional FB posts.

Lucky for him he didn't claim to have nuked the dinosaur with a bomb he bought from terrorists.
He might still be in a holding cell in some undisclosed location. smile

Feral Nymph

David2074
Pessimist
Blood Valkyrie
Pessimist
Blood Valkyrie

That, plus another take could be that one post possibly made him look delusional (I killed a dinosaur) and the other made him sound like armed delusional (I bought a gun).

In a sense it was over reacting but on the other hand had the police ignored the call from the school and then he shot somebody there would have been parents screaming bloody murder and suing the school and the police for not doing their jobs to keep their kids safe. It seems like a no win for the cops. Immature kid probably was over reacting during the search.

Fictional or not, it's rather stupid to post on FB that you bought a gun (illegally since you are a minor) and that you killed anything belonging to your neighbor. Had he written one long continuous story that was obviously a work of fiction it would likely have gone better.

I do think being suspended for a week was overkill on the part of the school. Unless it was based more on stuff he said / did during the search than the fictional FB posts.

Lucky for him he didn't claim to have nuked the dinosaur with a bomb he bought from terrorists.
He might still be in a holding cell in some undisclosed location. smile

Pretty much. Just think of what the media would do if they got word of the out-of-context 'threat' and the school *didn't* react. They'd shriek about how school wasn't taking enough measures to protect the students and happily paint the kid as a potential crazed killer in waiting.

Yay for mass media.

Wintry Dragon

This reminded me of that shoot the dinosaurs game. Pretty bloody. I bet those dinosaurs in this article would be highly offended. They are not given the respect due their species.

lastborntripletmack's Significant Otter

Popular Seeker

37,665 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Simple Romantic 50
Blood Valkyrie
Pessimist
Blood Valkyrie

I think the second part the "taking care of business" part is what "concerned" them, but still what if they write about Harry Potter and using the Avada Kadavara curse to kill their teacher or another person, would they be investigated and suspended for that as well.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
Whose demeanor wouldn't be irate during a police search of their home over something they posted online?

We fail as a nation.

Angelic Ladykiller

9,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
shadowmoon522
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Hey look! It's a Ferguson cop!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces