Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
Chinese students, like students across the world, have summer break: a time when they're free to pursue non-scholarly activities. Unfortunately for a group of students, their interest in anime and comics have been hindered by an overzealous teacher.

Sina Games reports that earlier this week, a text message went viral on China's twitter-like Weibo. The text message from the school "authority" reads as follows: "Greetings parents. Rumor has it that there will be an animation event happening at the Zhengzhou International Convention Centre tomorrow. I know that some of our students will be attending this event. I strongly urge parents to prevent their children from attending this event. Animation has been known to turn good students into bad students."

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Animation has been known to turn good students into bad students...2

Sina reports that Chinese netizens are blasting the school and the school official that sent the message online. One weibo user wrote, "What do anime and comics have to do with good grades? Doesn't it all come down to self control?".3

Reporters who got wind of the story tracked down the school to Zhengzhou Middle School number 7. It turns out the message sent to parents wasn't from a school official per se, but rather from a homeroom teacher, who told reporters that he only sent the message because he received pressure from a small group of parents.

"The teacher didn't want to send out this message," said an unnamed staff member at the school. "The parents came and told us of their feelings, and then the message was sent."

Teacher Warns Parents: Anime Leads to Bad Grades

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Well stop being so boring!

Hilarious Loiterer

8,450 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Millionaire 200
I watched a lot of anime and read a lot of manga as a kid (Still do), and my grades were pretty good. So unless these kids are like those that use Hetalia and the like instead of their history book (or other research) or were getting distracted and not finishing their homework, they should be fine. Either way, if their grades are slipping, it's the student's fault and not the anime and manga's fault.

Ice-Cold Bloodsucker

19,890 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Bad grades usually occur due to the students personal choice not because they might be interested in anime etc.

Wintry Dragon

Oh no. I need to go back in time and tell my old self not to watch anime or read manga. gonk

Demonic Businesswoman

10,825 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
What the hell?

Caring Vet

21,250 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
I was a huge anime fan back in high school, and my grades were usually As and Bs with maybe 2 C's.

Tipsy Smoker

My grades sucked but that's because I am lazy as ********. I still passed test but never did class work or home work.

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

Pfff,was wondering when that "I blame anime for -whatever-!" was gonna come back. rofl

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
I watched anime and read manga all thru high school and still managed to do my best to keep my grades steady. The only classes where my grades were bad were the classes where the teacher sucked (Algebra 1, which i had in 8th grade and had to retake in high school with a much better grade) or I absolutely hated (geometry). Otherwise I did my best to keep my grades up.
tired of using video games as a scapegoat so they switched to the next easy target?
just another episode of "blame everything except bad parenting"

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
[********]

Tell 'im, Senor Chang!!
wtf I watch anime all the time and I get straight A's!

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
If I have to choose between anime and academics, it's going to be anime every time.

King Noob

The school authority that sent that message should be punched in the face, repeatedly.

I suppose she would prefer the students be out drinking or doing drugs. rolleyes

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff