25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
link

Quote:
Teacher suspended for allegedly touching girl with banana

Banana used in class during lecture on sex objects

A local teacher returned to his classroom duties on Tuesday after an unpaid suspension for allegedly touching a female student with a banana.

The school district suspended Jonathan Hampton from his teaching job at North Marion High School after the student's parents complained, nearly three months after the incident.

According to his discipline letter dated May 13, 2013, a student said Hampton "rubbed a student's head and neck area with a banana" during a lecture about "cylinder objects, phalluses and/or sex symbols."

Responding Saturday to Local 6's report, Hampton's stepfather, Mark Fiedelholtz, a South Florida lawyer, said, "According to my son -- which has not been reported -- he doesn't recall ever touching the student with a banana, but if he did it would be to get their attention."

Parents and adults Local 6 spoke with Friday night said they felt the sexual implications were clear.

"That is disgusting, very disgusting," said Dale Johnson, a grandmother at the school. "I don't think he should be allowed to teach kids. You don't do stuff like that and get away with it."

A district spokesman said it seems the teacher was using the banana as a prop in his Freudian psychology lecture and said the discussion topic was district-approved, but the touching was inappropriate.

The district said the girl's parents complained because she felt embarrassed. And she wasn't alone. The district said other students felt the topics in his advanced class veered over the line with "excessive frequency, causing discomfort to many of your students," said the letter.

Hampton's stepfather, Fiedelholtz, disputed the possible sexual connotation of the banana.

"Upon a full investigation by the Marion County Public School District they found no evidence of sexual connotation or intentionality touching
the student against her will or to physically hurt the student in any way," said Fiedelholtz. "Jonathan was reinstated back in the classroom after serving his suspension."

"They have to be professional about this," said Brenda Bewley, a parent at NMHS. "What was going through his mind when he did something like that?"

Fiedelholtz said he believes Hampton was "maligned by an incident that was blown out of proportion. Despite the fact that my son has proved himself

as a caring, respectful and competent teacher that is loved by thousands of students and parents, the Marion County School District decided to allow my step-son's hard-earned reputation to be tossed in the garbage can based on the testimony of a father who may have had issues with the school before and other teenagers taken three months after the incident."

On his Facebook page, Mr. Hampton said he's taught at NMHS since 2007 and was once Teacher of the Year from 2011-2012. His personnel record indicates his performance overall has been "outstanding," however in 2009, Hampton was given counseling for making negative comments online about fellow teachers and students.

link

Quote:
Teacher suspended for bonk with a banana

A North Marion High teacher was suspended for three days without pay this week on accusations he touched a student in the head with a banana, according to School District documents.

The parents of the student contacted the district because they felt the teacher, Jonathan Hampton, crossed a line during discussions about the Freudian implications of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest."

Hampton teaches college-level courses as part of the North Marion's magnet program, called Advance International Certificate of Education (AICE).

The incident was reported by the girl's parents on May 6, about three months after it occurred.

Hampton referred all comments to Plantation attorney Mark Fiedelholtz, who is also his stepfather.

The attorney said Hampton — who had gotten the banana at lunch — tapped the student with it to get her attention.

"There was nothing else to it," Fiedelholtz said, adding no student in the class complained about the incident during the months afterwards.

The district concluded that the teacher-student contact warranted the reprimand and suspension for professional misconduct.

School District spokesman Kevin Christian said "Freudian" discussion is part of the curriculum in the college-level course.

Deputy Superintendent Rick Lankford wrote in the reprimand that Hampton used poor judgment by using "a banana to make physical contact with a student during a discussion on cylinder objects, phalluses and/or sex symbols."

King Noob

"the student's parents complained, nearly three months after the incident."

If it really was a big deal why wait three months?

Also wow, two banana articles. surprised
It makes a difference to me if he just tapped her to get her attention or if he rubbed the banana on her neck in a sexual manner as was implied in the first article. One is clearly worse than the other. In general, I think it's better for teacher not to make physical contact with their students at all, but I wouldn't think a tap would be worth getting fired over.
Guilty until proven innocent I see.

Devoted Flatterer

8,500 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
Why the hell did she wait three months before notifying her parents?

It seems to me they didn't into this case hard enough...

Wintry Dragon

I wonder if he'd still get in trouble for using his finger to get her attention. There is no telling of the psychological underpinning invested in that finger by that student. What would he have used? Chalk? Banter? I think any thing or action may be a landmine if one thinks way hard enough about it.

Dangerous Citizen

6,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Guildmember 100
I'm sorry I couldn't take the article seriously... Banana...

Tipsy Smoker

Speaking only as a parent....I would have beat his a**.

jellybeantoes's Partner

Angelic Star

15,600 Points
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Party Animal 100
This seems like an overreaction. Not to mention the strange three month wait. I remember back when I was in kindergarten and you could actually hug your teacher without them being accused of *****. neutral

Apocalyptic Streaker

17,850 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Streaker 200
Masquerade! Paper faces on parade. Masquerade!

Wait, what? emotion_facepalm Waiting three months is the marker that makes this entire accusation very suspicious, as in, it never happened the way the student said it did. Unless it was reported immediately, I would not have taken this seriously at all.

Hide your face so the world will never find you.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Wow. Oversensitive much?
I suppose if he had whacked her with a ruler they'd be saying he touched her with his hard 12 incher.

Good thing he wasn't the home ec teacher making banana nut bread. He'd probably be doing time.
Put some sugar on my banana and nuts and massage it thoroughly and wait for it to rise.

And... 3 months... Makes me wonder if she got mad at him over a grade or something else and decided to get upset about something she was not originally upset about. Save the 'disgust' for the teachers that are actually doing sexual stuff with their teachers.
This is ze correct way to teach Psychologie. Sometimes a banana is just a banana, mein freund.

Interesting Lunatic

Obviously the only solution is to ban bananas.

Fluffy Loiterer

The first article definitely has a harsher spin on the situation than the second one. Considering his reputation as a teacher I'm willing to believe that this student wasn't paying attention, and he absentmindedly poked her with whatever he was holding, which unfortunately happened to be the banana.

I'm also willing to bet this particular student is probably not the best academically. She probably didn't care about the class to begin with (which is why she wasn't paying attention) and probably used this as an excuse to get people on her side if she had a bad grade, like David mentioned above.

Desirable Sex Symbol

8,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
wow thats weird sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers