Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Sailor Tin Nyanko
We will never get the full story here.

-N*E*V*E*R-

The student may have been doing a rude gesture for all we know. Like " Come over here and sit on my face" type junk.

The teacher could have come rushing in because of an emergency, like their child had been rushed to the hospital and they wanted to communicate with someone immediately what was going on and that they were leaving.

All I can tell from the words used is it appears it was a one time thing she snapped like this and the student is in trouble for other incidents. Though the Media is next to worthless so even that could be wrong. The quotes point out the student is in trouble for other things but in fancy terms, if the quote is accurate.

Do you need the full story?
Can you think of ANY hypothetical situation that would make it okay for the teacher to pour shavings into the kid's mouth? Anything at all? She is lucky he didn't gasp in surprise and suck them into his lungs. The kid may have (or not) been doing something that deserved punishment beyond just not paying attention in class but when teachers resort to the sort of bullying that would get a student suspended something is wrong.

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
David2074
Sailor Tin Nyanko

-N*E*V*E*R-

The student may have been doing a rude gesture for all we know. Like " Come over here and sit on my face" type junk.

The teacher could have come rushing in because of an emergency, like their child had been rushed to the hospital and they wanted to communicate with someone immediately what was going on and that they were leaving.

All I can tell from the words used is it appears it was a one time thing she snapped like this and the student is in trouble for other incidents. Though the Media is next to worthless so even that could be wrong. The quotes point out the student is in trouble for other things but in fancy terms, if the quote is accurate.

Can you think of ANY hypothetical situation that would make it okay for the teacher to pour shavings into the kid's mouth? Anything at all? She is lucky he didn't gasp in surprise and suck them into his lungs. The kid may have (or not) been doing something that deserved punishment beyond just not paying attention in class but when teachers resort to the sort of bullying that would get a student suspended something is wrong.

The teacher was Suspended for this incident. That's more then students get for this situation. It was called for they be suspended.

Beyond this we are getting fuzzy info that suggest this is the first time the teacher has snapped and the student is still in trouble for things they have been doing. While, their family appears to want all focus on the teacher and firing her from the looks of it. Distractions, distractions.

Yes, the first thing through my head was " What if that got into their lungs D:"

We won't get the full story. We don't know why the teacher had come into that classroom. We do not know why they decided to do that to the student. We do not know what the student was doing exactly ( although it appears they were not asleep or are trying to make claim they were not asleep). This was not an appropriate action, though this may have been a knee jerk reaction to something. Again, we will never know. The teacher could regularly do this for all we know.

All we know is the school would like to paint this as the teachers first incidence. We have some hint that the student is presently in great trouble and the school is trying to work on that. Half the people on this thread have either not read the story or went through a phase where this was deemed totally normal behavior.

I am left to wonder if the family is trying to distract from their teen's behavior or if the school is covering up other things the teacher has done. We will never know x_x Unless something the media considers "Sexy" comes up, this should drift away and if the family really can't tolerate their school their teen will switch schools.... or, you know,... they can keep complaining because they want to draw attention to something.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Sailor Tin Nyanko
David2074
Sailor Tin Nyanko

-N*E*V*E*R-

The teacher was Suspended for this incident. That's more then students get for this situation. It was called for they be suspended.

Beyond this we are getting fuzzy info that suggest this is the first time the teacher has snapped and the student is still in trouble for things they have been doing. While, their family appears to want all focus on the teacher and firing her from the looks of it. Distractions, distractions.

Yes, the first thing through my head was " What if that got into their lungs D:"

We won't get the full story. We don't know why the teacher had come into that classroom. We do not know why they decided to do that to the student. We do not know what the student was doing exactly ( although it appears they were not asleep or are trying to make claim they were not asleep). This was not an appropriate action, though this may have been a knee jerk reaction to something. Again, we will never know. The teacher could regularly do this for all we know.

All we know is the school would like to paint this as the teachers first incidence. We have some hint that the student is presently in great trouble and the school is trying to work on that. Half the people on this thread have either not read the story or went through a phase where this was deemed totally normal behavior.

I am left to wonder if the family is trying to distract from their teen's behavior or if the school is covering up other things the teacher has done. We will never know x_x Unless something the media considers "Sexy" comes up, this should drift away and if the family really can't tolerate their school their teen will switch schools.... or, you know,... they can keep complaining because they want to draw attention to something.

I have no problem with a lot of what you said or that we (as usual) didn't get the full story.
I just had a problem with your first post in that it seemed to be saying that if we had the whole story the teacher's actions might in some way have been deemed acceptable. For one thing the article seems to be trying to make it sound like she poured in a bunch of shavings practically down his throat. It could have been a very tiny amount just on his tongue. The 'lead' in lead pencils is typically a mixture of graphite and clay so other than possible choking the health risk was minimal. And those boys may have been doing the same /similar to themselves or another student.

Please note I did not offer an opinion regarding the degree of punishment the teacher should get or whether she should be fired. The 'rest of the story' regarding the teacher and the kid comes into play there. However, at best I consider it very poor judgement on the part of the teacher. IMO part of what teachers are paid for is being mature / wise enough not to make "knee jerk reactions" when it comes to the safety and health of the students.

Personally I don't think the teacher should be fired over this one incident. If she has a history of being rather mean to students that's another thing. Everyone wants to fire and sue at the drop of a hat but being suspended (especially if it was without pay) is rather serious and should be enough to make a teacher rethink things. It also damages her reputation. Honestly back in my day the incident would probably have been laughed off but I'm not saying that is right either.
David2074
Sailor Tin Nyanko

-N*E*V*E*R-

Maybe he needed fiber? But yeah, on a serious note she should also be held for assault and battery. If the kid inhaled the shavings that would have been a horrid medical emergency that could have collapsed a lung. Teachers seem to be getting worse and worse. Especially with my generation starting to practice the field. My generation is filled with complete dolts that lack consequence for stupid actions.

Profitable Gatekeeper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
You don't put lead flakes in someone's mouth.
I haven't heard about this incident until now, but that is ridiculous! School is supposed to be a place where you can be safe and learn, not get impatient with a student and shove pencil shavings down a student's throat! Students nowadays do back talk and have attitude, but that still doesn't mean a teacher has the right to do such an impulsive thing!

Witty Phantom

Yummy. = - =

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Teacher shouldn't have done that. I could understand if she was making like she was going to pour the shavings into the kid's mouth and just tilted it a little too far, but this...

Kawaii Shoujo

Annata Cannata
Exactly... I mean does no one know about lead poisoning these days?

Barton Paladin

17,690 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
fairy-phoenix
Annata Cannata

Do people not know that pencil cores are made of graphite (non-poisonous) these days?

@OP: Yes, this was inappropriate, and yes, the kid could have choked a little, but honestly I don't see why it's so OMG TERRIBLE.

Fashionable Gaian

This reminded me at the teacher at my school that got fired for taping a kid's mouth.

crying

Profitable Gatekeeper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Elraine Figarette
fairy-phoenix
Annata Cannata

Do people not know that pencil cores are made of graphite (non-poisonous) these days?

@OP: Yes, this was inappropriate, and yes, the kid could have choked a little, but honestly I don't see why it's so OMG TERRIBLE.
Well, you don't put graphite flakes in someone's mouth then. That crap doesn't go in people's mouths and I think the shock is that an adult did it.

Omnipresent Demigod

O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
Yeah, I think maybe she should lose her job, but there's probably way more to the story.
P.s. Pencils shavings are hella bitter. User Image

HDMI

~~~
Doesn't matter, she must be bat crazy to think she can just do that to a child. It's horribly disgusting & disturbing and she needs to be fired.
~~~

HDMI

Receiver

lol bet he wont sleep in class again

Barton Paladin

17,690 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Annata Cannata
Elraine Figarette
fairy-phoenix
Annata Cannata

Well, you don't put graphite flakes in someone's mouth then. That crap doesn't go in people's mouths and I think the shock is that an adult did it.

Like I said, it was inappropriate. The teacher should be disciplined (and I understand she has been), but as there's little actual risk to the kid and action has been taken against the teacher I don't understand what the huge fuss is about. You go, "Hey, that was stupid of her to do" and you move on with your life.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff