Welcome to Gaia! ::

Playful Kitten

17,000 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Vampirate Kitsune
She hasn't been indicted yet but the arrest warrant charged her with a first-degree felony.

That makes more sense then. I thought I read third degree and then what I was reading of the law made it sound like first or possibly second would apply.l

Fashionable Hunter

David2074
kakteed
David2074
kakteed
Sexual assault though? Really? He's like, 17.

They can throw her into jail for public indecency and fire her for violating the universal policy on not having sex with students, but sexual assault?

I'm pretty sure it has to do with statutory rape because she is a legal adult and he is not.
For example, it often comes up with girls that the age of consent is 16 (in many places). A 17 year old could have sex with a 16 year old (but not say a 12 year old) and it would be okay. But a 25 year old having sex with a 16 year old is not okay. Has to be two legal adults or two miners - both above age of consent - but not one miner and one adult.

Neh...I still think it's cutting it rather close.

Well, I didn't write the laws.
Saying it is 'close' is like saying someone who is 20 should not be arrested for drinking when the drinking age is 21 because 20 is 'close' to 21. The law does not work that way. I would expect the law would not be as harsh on the teacher in the sentencing phase as if she had been having sex with a 12 year old but the guy being 17 does not keep it from being illegal.

Whoa thar. I'm just annoyed that this 17-year-old gets a win-win situation.

I'm not saying the law is wrong.

Playful Kitten

17,000 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Vampirate Kitsune
This article may be interesting to people who wonder what harm is done in female teacher/male student cases:

“We’re getting to a place where we can recognize these situations are crimes of power, not acts of passion,”

I read the article but it sounds more like they are trying to convince themselves.
Though I don't doubt some female teacher / male student relationships are 'crimes of power' I suspect many of them are not. Especially when the male student is just shy of being a legal adult.

In the case in this article the only thing that made this young man a 'victim' in the eyes of the law is the adult woman being employed at his school. If she worked at the laundromat down the road it would have been legal. Maybe the kid feels victimized but I doubt it. No one answer for all cases of course.

Playful Kitten

17,000 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
kakteed

No, I just meant they are going by the letter of the law, not whether he was close to legal age.
The boy might not consider it win-win if he is in love with her (or even in lust) since it is unlikely he will be able to continue his relationship with her. Ironically, since she got fired she is no longer his teacher so now they could legally have sex. Go figure.

Fashionable Hunter

David2074
kakteed

No, I just meant they are going by the letter of the law, not whether he was close to legal age.
The boy might not consider it win-win if he is in love with her (or even in lust) since it is unlikely he will be able to continue his relationship with her. Ironically, since she got fired she is no longer his teacher so now they could legally have sex. Go figure.

Oh, is the law different for educators specifically? I didn't know. Though I probably should have guessed after I read the Triton article.

If it was on school grounds, parking-lot sex, I highly suspect that love was not in the equation...then again...

Playful Kitten

17,000 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
kakteed
David2074
kakteed

Oh, is the law different for educators specifically? I didn't know. Though I probably should have guessed after I read the Triton article.

If it was on school grounds, parking-lot sex, I highly suspect that love was not in the equation...then again...

Yeah, find my post with the spoiler tag (page 2 I think). It has a link and the wording.
There are some specific things like if the adult is employed by the student's school district, some for folks working at juvenile detention facilities etc. In other words, people who might be in authority over the kids. But from what I'm reading 17 would be old enough if the job relationship was not part of the equation.

Fashionable Hunter

David2074
kakteed
David2074
kakteed

Yeah, find my post with the spoiler tag (page 2 I think). It has a link and the wording.
There are some specific things like if the adult is employed by the student's school district, some for folks working at juvenile detention facilities etc. In other words, people who might be in authority over the kids. But from what I'm reading 17 would be old enough if the job relationship was not part of the equation.

Wow. Damn that sucks for the teacher.

Playful Kitten

17,000 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
kakteed
David2074
kakteed
David2074
kakteed

Wow. Damn that sucks for the teacher.

Well, it does but it's unlikely she did not know the risks. She may have even been turned on by them if they were having car sex on school grounds. Typically part of qualifying for certain professions includes some training about their legal and ethical obligations. For example a teacher is also required by law to report things like child abuse or sexual abuse if they have reason to believe it is happening. Like if the child confides in them that Uncle Rupert is doing naughty things to her the teacher can not legally just walk away from that. Soo.... put that in context of today's more PC society and and a history of teacher / student sex scandals and I can't imagine this law(s) was not covered in both her training and the school district's employee manual. And oh yeah - common sense is a bang up thing to have as well.
In today's PC society

Shirtless Shapeshifter

5,650 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers