Welcome to Gaia! ::

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
link

I swear there's a convention for stupid teachers this week, so many are turning up in the news....

Quote:
Teacher accused of abusing child with sandpaper

A Hillsborough County teacher is on paid administrative leave and out of her 6th grade classroom at Burns Middle School after parents accused her of abusing their children.

Anna Garrett, a 27-year veteran teacher with the district, is also under investigation by the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, as they look into a spelling lesson she taught Wednesday that involved sandpaper.

"We had to trace letters like 'I' and 'J'," explained Josh Sommer, 11.

Josh says Ms. Garrett passed out previous exams with spelling corrections on them, and asked the students to trace the correct spelling on pieces of sandpaper.

They were instructed to trace each word five times. By the 125th word, Josh says his finger started to bleed.

"Then by the end of the time, my whole table was bleeding," he remembered.

When Josh and his classmates alerted Ms. Garrett, he says she told them to be quiet and keep working, so they did.

"I didn't want to get yelled at by my teacher," he said.

Darleanea Sommer admits her son's teacher has used edgy techniques in the past, but nothing like this.

"This is the only instance where he has been injured, and this will be the last," she said. "Makes me sick to my stomach. It's hurtful."

The school district will keep Garrett out of the classroom until the investigation is complete, at which point they'll determine whether she will keep her job.

However, spokesman Steve Hegarty doesn't believe abuse was a motive.

"There are some students complaining that it hurt their fingers and we don't think that's a good way to learn," he said. "I don't have any reason to believe that she was trying to abuse kids, but the outcome was not a good one. If kids hurt their fingers, that's not a good thing."

This is the second time in four months that Burns Middle School has drawn attention. In September, teachers were asked to be more sensitive after one staff member used a Ouija board as a prop.

The sandpaper incident also follows criticism of district incompetence in light of the deaths of two special needs students, and the arrest of a teacher for shoving her shoe in the face of a student with autism.

If Garrett gets her job back and returns to teaching at Burns Middle School, Darleanea says her son will not be there.

"My child was being hurt at school," said Darleanea, "where they're supposed to be taken care of."

Brave Lionheart

29,150 Points
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
  • Temple Takeover 200
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
If we get more of this, this would be the year of the gun rights and stupid teachers.

Rapire's Queen

Demonic Cutie-Pie

X

User Image

A way to teach? No no no, I don't even have enough no's for that. You don't use sand paper to write on to begin with, And second, you don't just shrug off that your student is bleeding.
            I have to wonder what even gave her this idea, or how she thought she was gonna get away with all the students going home with bloody hands.

This lady should not be a teacher and I hope that she loses her job and never is allowed by children again.

User Image

Quotable Noob

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Window Shopper 100
THAT'S AS BAD AS RAPPING THE KNUCKLES WITH A RULER .THE ONLY THING IT DOES IS TO FEAR THE TEACHER. THIS TECHNIQUE FOR LEARNING DOESN'T EVEN BELONG IN THE DARK AGES.

Malevolent Phantom

10,450 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Champion 300
  • Mark Twain 100
They should scrub her face off with sandpaper. Anyone else notice the school is called "Burns"?

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Somebody slap that b***h!

6,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Pshh. If I was one of those kids, I would stop when my finger first started hurting weither my teaher liked it or not.
My kids would have traced out '******** you' and handed that in. This was utterly stupid and their excuse that she didn't know it would cause pain? Morons.

Playful Guildswoman

Vampirate Kitsune
link

I swear there's a convention for stupid teachers this week, so many are turning up in the news....[/quote
Naw...they're too busy.

Quote:
Teacher accused of abusing child with sandpaper

..."We had to trace letters like 'I' and 'J'," explained Josh Sommer, 11.

Josh says Ms. Garrett passed out previous exams with spelling corrections on them, and asked the students to trace the correct spelling on pieces of sandpaper.

They were instructed to trace each word five times. By the 125th word, Josh says his finger started to bleed.

"Then by the end of the time, my whole table was bleeding," he remembered.

When Josh and his classmates alerted Ms. Garrett, he says she told them to be quiet and keep working, so they did.

...If Garrett gets her job back and returns to teaching at Burns Middle School, Darleanea says her son will not be there.

"My child was being hurt at school," said Darleanea, "where they're supposed to be taken care of."

Sue the district if they bring her back.

Dapper Spotter

"******** you with something hard and sandpaper-y" emotion_donotwant

Devoted Flatterer

8,500 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
Vampirate Kitsune

I swear there's a convention for stupid teachers this week, so many are turning up in the news....

...I love you

Nyadriel's King

Apocalyptic Shapeshifter

49,200 Points
  • Brick Breaker 50
  • Waffles! 25
rawnie14
THAT'S AS BAD AS RAPPING THE KNUCKLES WITH A RULER .THE ONLY THING IT DOES IS TO FEAR THE TEACHER. THIS TECHNIQUE FOR LEARNING DOESN'T EVEN BELONG IN THE DARK AGES.

It's worse than wrapping with a ruler.

Somebody must have gotten an idea from the Harry Potter movies. But we all know what happened to the pink lady for abusing students at Hogwarts, though, don't we. (actually left up to the imagination)

Profitable Gaian

8,600 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Oh my god! Umbridge has escaped Harry Potter!

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
This teacher have been inspired by Dolores Umbridge (of Harry Potter), who used magic to carve words in the back on students' hands over and over and over.....

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff