Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Antoinette Allison of Reynoldsburg, Ohio was staying at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Syracuse, New York back in April 2011 when she went to the hotel’s Library Lounge bar. Syracuse.com reports that Ms. Allison claims that while waiting for food in the Library Lounge, she fell off of a, “wooden, high-back bar stool,” and landed on her wrist, causing multiple fractures that required surgery. She is now suing the hotel for $1 million.

In her lawsuit, Ms. Allison claims that the bar stool was too high off the ground, and that, “hotel management knew of other problems with the height of the stools.” Her lawyer, Mark Ventrone, wrote in a 2012 complaint that, “Said bar stools were more dangerous than patrons would expect and safer designs are on the marketplace."

The lawsuit will proceed to court. Syracuse.com was unable to reach Mr. Ventrone for comment. They were also unable to reach Thomas Carafa, the lawyer for the hotel’s owner, Richfield Hospitality, Inc.

Stool

Tipsy Prophet

Must have been a slow news day in Syracuse.

Sugary Cat

s**t like this only happens in the USA.

No pickles on my burger BAM "I am going to sue for 200,000"

It's crazy

Aged Fox

More and more each day, I hate the human race.

Romantic Man-Lover

i could understand suing for the medical bills and pain and suffering but i don't see how that would end up to be a $1 million. i do like to see the little people win so i hope she wins the lawsuit either way.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Anyone have a sledgehammer I can borrow...?

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
VanillaCreamDelights
i could understand suing for the medical bills and pain and suffering but i don't see how that would end up to be a $1 million. i do like to see the little people win so i hope she wins the lawsuit either way.

Your motivation should be on the merits of the case, not on which side is "little people".
When people win huge frivolous lawsuits from (big corporation) it just makes the rest of us 'little people' have to pay more because when expenses go up so do prices.

It's too bad she fell out of a stool and hurt herself but she knew it was a stool when she sat in it. The nature of stools is they require a bit more balance than a recliner chair. She didn't have to sit in it. She could have tripped on the stairs or an escalator. She could have been one of those people who face plants into a window mistakenly thinking it was a door. Lots of women trip and fall just walking in high heels. Life happens all around us and sometimes it hurts. It doesn't mean we should get a million bucks every time we have a coordination fail.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
So the hotel is to blame for gravity doing its job? rolleyes
Was the stool unbalanced? Or the floor uneven? Or anything at all other than the hotel decided to use the same seating found in nearly every bar in the country? Because otherwise she should have to pay them for pulling a stunt like this.

Hilarious Autobiographer

9,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Inquisitor 200
You can sue hotels for stools? Seriously? WOW.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Ratttking

And failing to provide her with a proper stool sample to evaluate beforehand apparently.

Liberal Fatcat

MiameMiame
s**t like this only happens in the USA.

No pickles on my burger BAM "I am going to sue for 200,000"

It's crazy

We is a sue happy nation my friend. Cant go through our day without hoping something bad would happen to us so that we can sue for millions of dollars. emotion_awesome

"THIS COFFEE IS EXTREMELY HOT THE LABEL SHOULD SAY THIS IS EXTREMELY HOT NOT JUST HOT I BURNT MY THROAT CHUGGING THIS EXTREMELY HOT COFFEE IM SUING YOU FOR 1BILLION DOLLARS AND I WANT YOUR ORGANS"

Questionable Streaker

David2074
VanillaCreamDelights

Your motivation should be on the merits of the case, not on which side is "little people".
When people win huge frivolous lawsuits from (big corporation) it just makes the rest of us 'little people' have to pay more because when expenses go up so do prices.

It's too bad she fell out of a stool and hurt herself but she knew it was a stool when she sat in it. The nature of stools is they require a bit more balance than a recliner chair. She didn't have to sit in it. She could have tripped on the stairs or an escalator. She could have been one of those people who face plants into a window mistakenly thinking it was a door. Lots of women trip and fall just walking in high heels. Life happens all around us and sometimes it hurts. It doesn't mean we should get a million bucks every time we have a coordination fail.

Oh but that means acknowledging personal responsibility and I AS AN AMURICAN, have the right not to take responsibility for my own actions, rather someone else should pay for my slip ups. emotion_donotwant

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
JamesWN
Ratttking

And failing to provide her with a proper stool sample to evaluate beforehand apparently.

Now I have a mental image of the school giving her a stool sample. bwa ha ha

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Nocturneous
David2074
VanillaCreamDelights

Oh but that means acknowledging personal responsibility and I AS AN AMURICAN, have the right not to take responsibility for my own actions, rather someone else should pay for my slip ups. emotion_donotwant

Maybe if we all sued each other for a million dollars we could all be rich! smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff