Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
gets suspended and faces expulsion

Last week, Virginia Beach, Virginia sixth grader Adrionna Harris noticed her classmate doing something terrible – he was cutting his arm with a small razor. The Bayside Middle School student knew that was wrong, so she stepped in and took the razor away, and threw it out. It was an act that one mightthink would earn her praise from her school. As WAVY 10 On Your Side News reports, it instead earned her a suspension and possible expulsion.

That’s right, Adrionna received a 10-day suspension, the only reason being because she had admitted what happened. With the weapon disposed, it was her truthfulness that led to the punishment. Adrionna’s mother, Rachel Harris, is understandably frustrated with the school’s actions. She told WAVY, “I felt she did the right thing…There was not a teacher in sight while this boy was cutting himself. She felt like it was almost a 911 situation, that she had to help immediately, like there wasn’t time to find a teacher…The school system over-reached absolutely.” As Adrionna herself put it, “…I was just trying to help.”

On top of not agreeing with the school’s severe punishment, Rachel was not happy with the lack of response she was getting. She told the station her calls were not being returned. Finally, when WAVY started inquiring, the school started to get in touch with Rachel. Currently, a hearing regarding the suspension is scheduled for today. The Harrises hope for Adrionna’s immediate return to the classroom.

So, with all this turmoil, would Adrionna do it all over again? Knowing how quick she was to act to help a classmate, her answer isn’t all that surprising. She told the station, “Even if I got in trouble, it didn’t matter because I was helping him … I would do it again even if I got suspended, yes.”

No brainer!

Gets back to class early

Anxious Millionaire

9,800 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Gotta love those bullshit administrators. Who cares she may have saved a life, let's be more concerned about the fact that she threw the razor away instead of taking it to a teacher.

Seems like she would have gotten in trouble in any case.
Self Medicator
Gotta love those bullshit administrators. Who cares she may have saved a life, let's be more concerned about the fact that she threw the razor away instead of taking it to a teacher.

I think if she'd taken it to a teacher they'd have suspended/expelled her for 'possession of a weapon' instead. Reality is, the schools are raising people to be drones, and ANYONE capable of independent thought (read, that isn't blindly obedient) is an enemy and must be tossed aside.
And people wonder why I hold educators in such low esteem. Most are ******** idiots.

Vampiric Vampire

14,350 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Friendly 100
No good deed goes unpunished this day and age, I suppose.

Idiotic administrators and legalistic bullcrap.

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

If she didn't do anything she could have gotten in trouble.
Jeeze,what do they expect people to do in these situations? x-x;
Can we stop with this zero tolerance bullshit yet?

Excitable Strawberry

I really appreciate how the girl's common sense has stayed intact through all of this.

Quote:
So, with all this turmoil, would Adrionna do it all over again? Knowing how quick she was to act to help a classmate, her answer isn’t all that surprising. She told the station, “Even if I got in trouble, it didn’t matter because I was helping him … I would do it again even if I got suspended, yes.”

Loyal Exhibitionist

Well, at least the school realized their own overreaction and let her back in school early with a clean record.

That's GREAT. One of a kind, in fact, seeing how STUPID other schools can be.
This girl gets suspened for stopping a classmate from potentially killing himself...WOW, she should've been rewarded, or atleast applauded.

Vampiric Vampire

14,350 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Friendly 100
Well, at least she was absconded from any wrongdoing and it's not going on her record.

Still, it shouldn't have been an issue of 'wrongdoing' for her in the first place.

Admirable girl, to say that she'd do it again even if she would get punished. We need more folks like that up and coming.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Okay, what about the student who brought the razor to school in the first place? If they're gonna be zero tolerance, what happens to him? Oh, no, it's okay. He brought the supposed weapon to school, but she admitted to throwing it away. Mmm. Why are morons running school administrations? They should be reaching out to the student who was cutting himself to help him, and praising her for intervening and for her compassion. Did they even FIND the razor? Because even if she admitted to throwing it away, it's really only have his blood and dna on it, and admission to just tossing it isn't admission to bringing it to school (which the other student did) and without the evidence, it's all hearsay. ******** these administrators. I hope on top of letting her back to school early, they apologized to her, every single one of them, and praised her for her good deed. What the hell is wrong with this country? This zero tolerance bullshit has gone too far. Punish the ones bringing weapons to school, punish the ones brandishing them and using them, but don't get mad at kids for tossing things like razors away to help a fellow student stop harming themselves. Don't punish little kids who hold their finger like a gun and say bang bang, or who draw a gun. What the ******** harm is that doing? Seriously, how is that hurting someone? You hurt that student more by suspending them and making them miss school over something benign and stupid.

Barton Paladin

17,690 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Old Blue Collar Joe
Self Medicator

I think if she'd taken it to a teacher they'd have suspended/expelled her for 'possession of a weapon' instead. Reality is, the schools are raising people to be drones, and ANYONE capable of independent thought (read, that isn't blindly obedient) is an enemy and must be tossed aside.
And people wonder why I hold educators in such low esteem. Most are ******** idiots.

They're not *all* bad, and the vast majority of the people making the dumbass decisions are administrators that have little to no contact with students. Many teachers spend most of their time outside the classroom prepping for their lessons etc, and often buy classroom supplies out of their own pocket. For the most part, they're doing their best with a system that is underfunded and run by people who are ignorant of and/or indifferent to what really needs to change.

Caring Vet

21,250 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
Elraine Figarette
Old Blue Collar Joe
Self Medicator

They're not *all* bad, and the vast majority of the people making the dumbass decisions are administrators that have little to no contact with students. Many teachers spend most of their time outside the classroom prepping for their lessons etc, and often buy classroom supplies out of their own pocket. For the most part, they're doing their best with a system that is underfunded and run by people who are ignorant of and/or indifferent to what really needs to change.

Eh, it depends on the school, really. I graduated high school 7 years ago, and I recently found out that one of the new assistant principals was the former drama teacher who was extremely liked by many students. When I was there, one of the assistant principals was a former history teacher. But then again, my high school was run by competent people (at least during the years I was there. I don't know anything about the current administration since it's changed, except for the former drama teacher and the principal).

Interesting Consumer

2,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
*movie preview voice* In a world where the children have more common sense than the adults...

*cough* This is so pathetic. I have yet to see a single school with actual well thought-out rules. My school (This was over 10 years ago since I'm 26 now, though), for example, had a rule where if someone were literally to punch you in the face right in front of a teacher... guess what? You both get equally punished. So if you didn't like someone and didn't give a crap about your grades, hey, just punch someone. Doesn't even need to be hard, just hit them and bam, you got them in trouble AND tarnished their record instantly. I'm not even joking, nor exaggerating. That was, imo, their lazy "solution" for bullying since it involved zero thought on the part of teachers as to who started something. You literally got in trouble even if you were not to fight back and the teacher witnessed the entire incident.

I've heard of the schools my parents went to, and they never had pathetic rules like these.

Vampiric Vampire

14,350 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Friendly 100
Zephyr_Antari
*movie preview voice* In a world where the children have more common sense than the adults...

*cough* This is so pathetic. I have yet to see a single school with actual well thought-out rules. My school (This was over 10 years ago since I'm 26 now, though), for example, had a rule where if someone were literally to punch you in the face right in front of a teacher... guess what? You both get equally punished. So if you didn't like someone and didn't give a crap about your grades, hey, just punch someone. Doesn't even need to be hard, just hit them and bam, you got them in trouble AND tarnished their record instantly. I'm not even joking, nor exaggerating. That was, imo, their lazy "solution" for bullying since it involved zero thought on the part of teachers as to who started something. You literally got in trouble even if you were not to fight back and the teacher witnessed the entire incident.

I've heard of the schools my parents went to, and they never had pathetic rules like these.

Well... I have to say it's been a while since I've been in school (around 20 or so years), but I remember my middle and high school having a rule that pretty much boiled down to "It takes two to fight", so if someone starts beating up on you, you can't really fight back. Just curl into a ball and let them wail away at you until an administrator or teacher gets alerted or happens to notice.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff