Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Shama_okami
xdivision_whitey
Shama_okami
Do people regularly come in contact with other people's food on campus? When I was in college the only food I touched was what I ate.
Peanut allergy can be really bad. Some cases just the faint smell (Not touching it) of peanuts on a person can make them violently ill.

But that threat is the same as walking down the street.
Yup. She'd choke and die if she walked on the streets near me, because the Chinese restaurants around here cook with peanut oil (and peanuts themselves) and you can smell the food for a block either way.

Ferocious Browser

Alexander J Luthor
I lost the ability to care when they banned me from bringing uncrustables to lunch.

What was the reason behind that?

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Eveille
Alexander J Luthor
I lost the ability to care when they banned me from bringing uncrustables to lunch.

What was the reason behind that?

Peanut butter and strawberry jam uncrustables were banned because of the peanut butter. Which in all honesty if you try to steal my lunch (because an allergy as severe as the one in this article is incredibly rare) you deserve to go into epileptic shock. A friend of mine and I agreed that we would always pack our kids' lunches, and if we absolutely couldn't get them to eat something and they loved peanut butter no one would keep us from putting it in their lunches. I especially after reading that story about a Chicago elementary schooler whose lunch was stolen and thrown away by staff and her mother was forced to pay for a school lunch, of which the girl only ate the three chicken strips and threw the rest away. Why did they toss it, you ask? Because despite there being a turkey version of a BLT, some fruit, a bag of chips, a small milk, and a soda, the soda automatically infected the rest of the food and made it unhealthy. emotion_facepalm

Tipsy Senshi

18,175 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Stellar Lieutenant 200
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
One of my husband's Aunts has a nut allergy that is this severe so I guess I'm not as shocked by the severity as the rest of you?

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I'm sorry for the woman but if she is that severely allergic she should be doing online college anyway. That's pretty much what any job she gets with her degree would have to be. You can't stop every coworker or customer from ever touching a peanut.

Feral Nymph

Winniwyn
One of my husband's Aunts has a nut allergy that is this severe so I guess I'm not as shocked by the severity as the rest of you?

If that's the case, is she home-bound because it's impossible to insulate the world against her allergies?

Tipsy Senshi

18,175 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Stellar Lieutenant 200
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
Pessimist
Winniwyn

If that's the case, is she home-bound because it's impossible to insulate the world against her allergies?

No clue, I've only met the woman a couple of times. I would imagine that she probably has to have someone else do the grocery shopping or has her groceries delivered though. And her friends and family all know about the allergy so its not really an issue when she visits them.

Dapper Dabbler

I don't think a lot of people here realize how severe an allergy, especially a food allergy, can be.
There are some cases of peanut allergies where, say someone had a PB&J sandwich for breakfast and touched a door knob, then a person with a severe peanut allergy touched that same door knob. They could actually die just from the residue left on that door knob.
That being said the school did do their best, I believe, in trying to accommodate her.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Eveille
Umm this makes no sense at all unless she was in culinary school.

Otherwise why would she come in contact with a peanut in the middle of class?

Because some people like to bring snacks into class, and there's a possibility that among those snacks, they'd bring in a bag of peanuts?

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Super Fightin Prototype
Eveille
Hasuki Aatisuto
Eveille

Some colleges allow you to bring snacks to classes to munch on during lectures, or at least during breaks. My college did, anyway.

And seeing how there's a lot of snacks that has peanuts or nuts in them, well...

But still, peanut allergies are some of the most common allergies out there. Tons of people have it to varying degrees. I simply can't believe that she literally has the worlds worst case of peanut allergies and can't go to school because of it. How did she survive grade school? Why can't she make an announcement on the first day of class to her peers? Or ask to have her own desk near the front of the room or somewhere?

It's just all so odd.....

I think a lot of schools nowadays ban products with peanuts in them.

It confuses the hell out of me how a peanut allergy can be this severe. I feel sorry for them but at the same time, I'm not sure it's feasible to expect a peanut-free world in any environment other than your own house.

I quoted the wrong post at first. X-x That's what I get for having two Reply tabs open.

You'd be surprised. Back when I was in middle school 8 years ago, there was a story on the news about a girl who died kissing her boyfriend because her boyfriend had just eaten a peanut earlier beforehand. Apparently, she never told her boyfriend that she had a severe peanut allergy, so he didn't know about it and was quite devastated when she died in his arms.

Caring Vet

21,250 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
Eveille
Hasuki Aatisuto
Eveille

Some colleges allow you to bring snacks to classes to munch on during lectures, or at least during breaks. My college did, anyway.

And seeing how there's a lot of snacks that has peanuts or nuts in them, well...

But still, peanut allergies are some of the most common allergies out there. Tons of people have it to varying degrees. I simply can't believe that she literally has the worlds worst case of peanut allergies and can't go to school because of it. How did she survive grade school? Why can't she make an announcement on the first day of class to her peers? Or ask to have her own desk near the front of the room or somewhere?

It's just all so odd.....

Regarding the bolded, it's possible that she was homeschooled. Children with really severe allergies tend to be homeschooled so their parents can monitor them. I remember reading an article at my mom's work a long time ago about a kid who was nearly allergic to everything and needed to use a feeding tube to get the proper nutrients, and he had to be homeschooled. Anyway, if she was homeschooled, I'd like to know what made her decide to take college courses physically on campus, instead of taking online courses in the comforts of her own home where she doesn't have to worry about her peanut allergy (unless she's in a major that requires physical interactions, such as Chemistry--you can't really be a Chem major without doing the required labs).

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Sakura Parfait
Eveille

Because some people like to bring snacks into class, and there's a possibility that among those snacks, they'd bring in a bag of peanuts?

peanuts are, rather unfortunately, both one of the more common food allergies, AND one of the most common foods out there.

I know a guy, a good friend, even, that we recently came to the conclusion that in an out-and-out doomsday survival situation, would be a casualty we couldn't afford to take care of, on account of a peanut allergy and a strong aversion to coconut and maple ( most survival foodstuffs are crammed full of those first two, and the aversion to maple is so severe that even alcohol aged in maple wood barrels can cause him to retch ).

it's rather unfortunate, but the world cannot be forced to cater to the most sickly amongst us. in the university's case, it's the girl's job to ensure her own safety from this common staple food, not the school's job to require students decontaminate from all peanut oil before being allowed in her presence, which is really rather what it'd take to keep her safe if her allergy is as severe as they make it sound. I mean, short of that, how could those signs be anything more than a feel-good rule that does absolutely nothing?

Apocalyptic Rogue

21,100 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Ate a peanut, ate a peanut, ate a peanut just now, just now I ate a peanut, ate a peanut just now...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff