Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
link

Quote:
Sri Lanka bars Buddha tattoo Briton for 'disrespect'

Sri Lanka has denied entry to a British tourist at Colombo's international airport because he showed a lack of respect for Buddhism, reports say.

An immigration official told a local newspaper that when the man was asked about a tattoo of Buddha on his arm he had spoken "very disrespectfully".

Such views would have been a "threat to his own safety" in Sri Lanka, he added.

The authorities are tough on perceived insults to Buddhism - the religion of the island's majority ethnic Sinhalese.

Last year, three French tourists were given suspended prison sentences for taking photographs that showed them pretending to kiss a statue of Buddha at a temple.

In 2010, the American R&B star Akon was refused a visa after protests over one of his music videos, which featured scantily-clad women dancing in front of a statue of Buddha.

An official at Bandaranaike International Airport told AFP news agency that the report of Friday's incident involving the British tourist was correct.

More than 100,000 British citizens visited Sri Lanka in 2012, accounting for 10% of the total number of tourists. The UK is also the country's second-largest trading partner after India.
The only thing I see that is lacking is FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION-----
Anyway, the article is very vague about the "disrespect" part. Was the tattoo offensive? Did the tourist say something offensive on accident? Not too many details to make up a conclusion...
A good example of why you should know the place before you go there. Not all countries have the same values / rights that we do. Actually, I think most don't.
Shadawn
Anyway, the article is very vague about the "disrespect" part. Was the tattoo offensive? Did the tourist say something offensive on accident? Not too many details to make up a conclusion...

Um... you do know that not all countries have laws like that? Some countries can lock you up for life for blasphemy. When you visit another country, you have to follow their rules, or expect to be kicked out/locked in prison. To assume that your countries laws or values will apply when VISITING other countries is the HEIGHT of arrogance

Malevolent Phantom

10,450 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Champion 300
  • Mark Twain 100
I wonder if Buddha knew that his followers would completely reverse what he taught?
Shadawn

It says right there in the article:

Quote:
An immigration official told a local newspaper that when the man was asked about a tattoo of Buddha on his arm he had spoken "very disrespectfully".

Such views would have been a "threat to his own safety" in Sri Lanka, he added.

Anyway, it seems Sri Lanka is highly sensitive to portrayals of the Buddha from this article that was in the tab when I went to the linked article:

Quote:
French tourists guilty in Sri Lanka over Buddha photos

A Sri Lankan court has given suspended jail terms to three French tourists for wounding the religious feelings of Buddhists by taking pictures deemed insulting.

Two women and one man were detained in the southern town of Galle after a photographic laboratory alerted police.

The pictures show the travellers posing with Buddha statues and pretending to kiss one of them.

Most of Sri Lanka's majority ethnic Sinhalese are Theravada Buddhist.

Mistreatment of Buddhist images and artefacts is strictly taboo in the country. The incident is alleged to have taken place at a temple in central Sri Lanka.

BBC News

Dedicated Seeker

9,950 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Member 100
Interitum
I wonder if Buddha knew that his followers would completely reverse what he taught?
x-Garethp-x
Shadawn

Um... you do know that not all countries have laws like that? Some countries can lock you up for life for blasphemy. When you visit another country, you have to follow their rules, or expect to be kicked out/locked in prison. To assume that your countries laws or values will apply when VISITING other countries is the HEIGHT of arrogance

It was merely a joke, I'm well aware that not all countries have laws like that!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff