Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anxious Informer

9,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
Quote:
Sony is canceling The Interview's planned theatrical release in response to all major US theater chains deciding not to show the film after attacks were threatened. "In light of the decision by the majority of our exhibitors not to show the film The Interview, we have decided not to move forward with the planned December 25 theatrical release," Sony says in a statement, reprinted by Variety. "We respect and understand our partners’ decision and, of course, completely share their paramount interest in the safety of employees and theater-goers."

More here

Time-traveling Senshi

Not that it was slated to be nominated for anything but this now sends a message to anyone who wants to stop a movie from qualifying for the Academy Awards is that all they have to do is threaten to invoke 9/11 and blow up any and every movie theater in Los Angeles County that shows a particular picture and get it yanked from those very theaters and it can't qualify for any major awards. Because here's the weird qualification rules for the Oscars. All a movie has to do is be shown in a theater in Los Angeles County for one week and it qualifies. Why do you think a lot of recent major Oscar contenders have December LA and New York openings and then open wide in January and get a ton of Oscar nods?

In regards to all of this though, I think the news media has to stop reporting on this. I don't believe the threats are credible but now this so called hacker group has what they want, fame. They wanted people to continue to talk about them. They wanted to be known as the ones who took down Sony Pictures. It's not that when Sony asked the media to stop they were doing it to be self serving. They had a legit point. The hackers want to be talked about and they want to be known. We didn't know who the Guardians of Peace were before this. Was this really about The Interview and North Korea or did the GOP just use it as an opportunity to get famous? If it was the latter I hope they're found, arrested, and found guilty of all charges and they rot in jail for a long time. I don't know if or when Seth Rogan will ever go before the media again or write another movie because you know the moment he does people are going to want to ask him about The Interview. And will this movie even be released on DVD or Digital Downloads? Because then you run the risk of the file for the movie on the download version being tampered with by the GOP and your computer being messed up. We may never, even if we don't even want to, see this movie anywhere other than the few clips and trailers we had.

Dog_inthe_PWO's Kouhai

Colorful Fox

33,850 Points
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
i'm kinda miffed about this...i mean come on...it's a MOVIE it's just story telling for pure laugh factor. i mean look at the movie "the producers" spring time for Hitler and such. honestly these people need to chill out. but then again nut jobs are all around us sweatdrop it just sucks that they ruin it for the rest of us who have a sense of humor and are smart enough to know that if we don't like it we don't have to watch/hear it. but then again peoples safety is more important then a few laughs. it's a shame too because i really like Seth Rogan and James Franco alot. i hope they make more movies together and that this crap with people threatening doesn't make them stop.

Friendly Explorer

It's a movie. Can you imagine what kind of message this act is sending? Make enough threats & the film/tv show/book/whatever will be pulled. We are giving into a country that has a reputation for being the spoiled child of the world.

Popular Phantom

10,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
One of my Tumblr followers and I are arguing about this. She thinks it was a smart move. I say this just sends a bad message to terrorist groups around the world. Threaten 9-11 again and they can control the U.S..

There is a reason why Japan says North Korea is trying to wake the sleeping bull...
This is quite an achievement for a country that has "light outs" at night.

Undead Enchantress

I wonder if these guys will target Disney films next.

Lady Lunatic

Sony made a move to protect its employees and the people involved in the making of the film. I see why people are upset but think about it - if a terrorist group threatened to hurt your family for publishing a book/movie/whatever would you still go through with it? I don't like the message it sends to other countries but it's a private company and they can do what they want. It's not like the government ordered Sony not to show the film.
...or did they? emotion_awesome
Kitsune Muggy
One of my Tumblr followers and I are arguing about this. She thinks it was a smart move. I say this just sends a bad message to terrorist groups around the world. Threaten 9-11 again and they can control the U.S..

There is a reason why Japan says North Korea is trying to wake the sleeping bull...

Is your Tumblr follower perhaps a member of the Taliban? Supporting a threat which is a form of terrorism and all.

Popular Phantom

10,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Inamatus Requiem
Kitsune Muggy

Is your Tumblr follower perhaps a member of the Taliban? Supporting a threat which is a form of terrorism and all.

Nope. 100% American.
Was it a cyber threat they got?
Lady Kariel

Ther vaguely hinted at blowing cinemas up.
Inamatus Requiem
Lady Kariel

Ther vaguely hinted at blowing cinemas up.

Yeah I read a BBC article about it just now. It seems the film was about killing North Korea's leader which I wouldn't consider a very smart move. Considering how much N Korea hates the US already....
Cupcakes HD on youtube
Inamatus Requiem
Kitsune Muggy

Please don't send accusations around, its uncivil.

What other thought process could there be for defending a terroristic threat from hackers, than being a terrorist yourself?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff