Welcome to Gaia! ::

Time-traveling Senshi

Old Blue Collar Joe
Chibi Halo
Lulamoon Sage
Amor Vincit
Lulamoon Sage
I wanna see it! If the South Park guys can get away with that puppet caricature of Kim Jong Il, then maybe Seth Rogen can get away with this.

I was totally thinking this! The depiction of Kim Jung Il in Team America was way more over the top (and funny). They pretty much made him a Korean Eric Cartman.

I think this is just a hollow threat to deter moviegoers. If anything, they'll cause more people to go see it. This is pretty much free advertisement.
Jong Un's regime HAVE to realize this. Putting the movie in national headlines like this is just gonna expose more and more people to the movie. We already get next to no real information in or out of the "DPRK" as it is, and with Jong Un appearing the way he has in recent years (i.e. a crazy tyrant who's disallowed his people from naming their sons after him) is just gonna get even more exposure. Seth Rogen is probably gonna make a mint on this movie.

And while he probably is he's not granting any interviews now. And there's some rumors going around that film directors, writers, and producers flat out lied to the female actors in this movie about what kind of movie she was going to be in and that she didn't know until after it was finished filming just what she had done and because of that she's getting death threats now. You have to wonder how serious this so called GOP group really is and why the media is still playing into this after Sony asked them to cease and desist or they'll go to court. Makes you wonder just how much Hollywood actors are going to want to be associated with them anymore.

GOP group? Where do you get that from? And it's fairly common to get a synopsis of what a movie is about before even auditioning, much less getting a role.
Her agent isn't going to send her on something they have qualms about.
She's trying to distance herself and this I are not knowing routine and tossing the studio under the bus?
Good luck finding another role.

GOP does not mean Republicans in this instance Joe. GOP is the acronym for the group North Korea either hired or pretended to be to pull off the hacking. It stands for Guardians of Peace. As for the actress and the death threats I found no such thing not even the rumors my mother said she heard about. A synopsis sure but the rumor my mom said she heard was that during the entire filming Rogan and company hid from her what the movie was all about. So unless she had a very small part and was never allowed to see the full script how could she have never known the full plot. Because the way my mom heard it the actress had a pretty decent part. She never said who it was though.

Here's how unfounded the death threat rumors are, not even a search for Seth Rogan and death threats pulls up any rumors of any threats to the actors over this film. Only threat of violence was to movie theaters.

Divine Muse

Could their be a possibilty that this is just a publicity stunt because the movie sucked?

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
xXFurygeistXx
Alexander J Luthor
Quote:
"Remember the 11th of September 2001," the hackers write in a new note reportedly posted Tuesday

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

********... Even if this is just some p***k kid on the internet, I say we strap a pound of cocaine to their chest and drop them in the middle of Singapore.

...? Does Singapore have a cocaine problem? sweatdrop
Singapore is a place where YOU DO NOT WANT TO BREAK THE LAW. Gabriel Iglesias talked about it in his latest special; The Fluffy Movie, and I remember the public rage when one of the incidents he talked about happened. A few years ago some American a*****e decided he'd be a rebel and graffiti over there. They caught him and caned him until they thought he had been punished enough, then they threw his dumb a** in prison. Americans everywhere were outraged, but notice Singapore's much lower crime rate.

On the issue of drugs. If you have any illegal narcotics. You are put to death, little or no questions asked. I remember that being a plot in a movie, I think it was Swordfish or something. At the end, the guy who had screwed the main guy over and got him to do the dirty work, the other guy had fled to Singapore, but the main guy had connections had hid hundreds of kilos of drugs in the guy's cabana, then alerted the government. The guy was dragged off during their skype chat screaming that he was innocent because he knew what was going to happen. THAT'S a zero tolerance policy. A policy I feel we should enact in America when it comes to thinks like cocaine, meth, bathsalts, etc.
Alexander J Luthor
xXFurygeistXx
Alexander J Luthor
Quote:
"Remember the 11th of September 2001," the hackers write in a new note reportedly posted Tuesday

********... Even if this is just some p***k kid on the internet, I say we strap a pound of cocaine to their chest and drop them in the middle of Singapore.

Singapore is a place where YOU DO NOT WANT TO BREAK THE LAW. Gabriel Iglesias talked about it in his latest special; The Fluffy Movie, and I remember the public rage when one of the incidents he talked about happened. A few years ago some American a*****e decided he'd be a rebel and graffiti over there. They caught him and caned him until they thought he had been punished enough, then they threw his dumb a** in prison. Americans everywhere were outraged, but notice Singapore's much lower crime rate.

On the issue of drugs. If you have any illegal narcotics. You are put to death, little or no questions asked. I remember that being a plot in a movie, I think it was Swordfish or something. At the end, the guy who had screwed the main guy over and got him to do the dirty work, the other guy had fled to Singapore, but the main guy had connections had hid hundreds of kilos of drugs in the guy's cabana, then alerted the government. The guy was dragged off during their skype chat screaming that he was innocent because he knew what was going to happen. THAT'S a zero tolerance policy. A policy I feel we should enact in America when it comes to thinks like cocaine, meth, bathsalts, etc.

You're in favour of a policy of naked authoritarianism.

Quote:
Lee Kuan Yew, Singapore's autocratic leader from 1965 to 1990 and still his country's most familiar spokesman, told Americans: 'Your country does not restrain or punish individuals. That's why the whole country is in chaos. Drugs, violence, unemployment and homelessness . . . If you like it that way, that's your problem. But that is not the path we chose.'

Last week Singapore television, which like the Singapore press is under effective state control, screened a documentary on vandalism in Britain and America, showing how respect for property and proper standards had broken down and fear, violence and ugliness had come to Western cities.

For the first time since the 16th century, the East is becoming the economic centre of the world. And these phenomenally successful countries have not done it our way at all. Singapore, Taiwan, China and South Korea are authoritarian states - 'neo-Confucian' societies to use Lee's term. Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia - the countries expected to follow them - are not much different.

In the case of Singapore, neo-Confucianism means harassing the opposition, making public dissent all but impossible, making the family rather than the state responsible for the needy and enforcing control on every aspect of life, down to whether you may chew gum.

And even those in America and Britain who have applauded the flogging sentences and called for similar penalties in their own countries would balk at the power and control exercised here by the ruling People's Action Party (PAP).

Chewing gum is banned. Smoking is all but impossible in public places. Police watch from rooftops for people dropping litter and there are urine detectors in lifts to catch the dirtier deviants.

Ninety per cent of people own their own homes. But they are compelled to save up to 20 per cent of their earnings in the government's Central Provident Fund. Their employers are compelled to match the sum. (Like many other East Asian countries Singapore's economic miracle has been built on having a massive reserve of domestic savings which can be invested in new businesses.)

The streets are pleasant not merely because crime is rare but because the government restricts traffic by forcing all would-be drivers to spend thousands of pounds on a certificate authorising car ownership before they buy a car.

Last week the motor of social engineering was still running. Parents of fat children were told that they would soon be receiving tuition in how to give their offspring better diets. Meanwhile banners in the city centre proclaimed 'Good Teeth Make a Difference - Year of Oral Education '94'.

Most Singaporeans don't seem to mind living in a social laboratory. Elections themselves are not rigged. The PAP has always delivered economic growth and always won nearly every seat. But between elections, the government works hard to keep the opposition at bay.

THE FAY case has been presented both in America and Singapore as a battle between the West - soft, decadent and self-indulgent - and Singapore, the place that puts society's interests before the individual, is tough on crime and gets peace on the streets and prosperity in the workplace as a result.

Objectively, of course, this is nonsense. By any measure, the United States is tough on crime. It jails a larger proportion of its citizens than any other Western country and murderers are gassed, electrocuted, hanged and shot. None of this, however, has stopped the US having the highest crime rate in the developed world.

Only a few Singaporeans and expatriates criticise the punishment and then only in private. One evening last week a British banker began by condemning the 'awful brutality of caning' and went on to criticise the whole country. 'I've been here for the money for a while. But I still can't get used to the awful television and sham newspapers which never report anything but happy news.'

(link)

I might also note that the ObamaCare model of forcing people to purchase insurance and other things is very much at work in Singapore, as the article describes.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
azulmagia
Alexander J Luthor
xXFurygeistXx
Alexander J Luthor
Quote:

You're in favour of a policy of naked authoritarianism.

Quote:
Lee Kuan Yew, Singapore's autocratic leader from 1965 to 1990 and still his country's most familiar spokesman, told Americans: 'Your country does not restrain or punish individuals. That's why the whole country is in chaos. Drugs, violence, unemployment and homelessness . . . If you like it that way, that's your problem. But that is not the path we chose.'

Last week Singapore television, which like the Singapore press is under effective state control, screened a documentary on vandalism in Britain and America, showing how respect for property and proper standards had broken down and fear, violence and ugliness had come to Western cities.

For the first time since the 16th century, the East is becoming the economic centre of the world. And these phenomenally successful countries have not done it our way at all. Singapore, Taiwan, China and South Korea are authoritarian states - 'neo-Confucian' societies to use Lee's term. Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia - the countries expected to follow them - are not much different.

In the case of Singapore, neo-Confucianism means harassing the opposition, making public dissent all but impossible, making the family rather than the state responsible for the needy and enforcing control on every aspect of life, down to whether you may chew gum.

And even those in America and Britain who have applauded the flogging sentences and called for similar penalties in their own countries would balk at the power and control exercised here by the ruling People's Action Party (PAP).

Chewing gum is banned. Smoking is all but impossible in public places. Police watch from rooftops for people dropping litter and there are urine detectors in lifts to catch the dirtier deviants.

Ninety per cent of people own their own homes. But they are compelled to save up to 20 per cent of their earnings in the government's Central Provident Fund. Their employers are compelled to match the sum. (Like many other East Asian countries Singapore's economic miracle has been built on having a massive reserve of domestic savings which can be invested in new businesses.)

The streets are pleasant not merely because crime is rare but because the government restricts traffic by forcing all would-be drivers to spend thousands of pounds on a certificate authorising car ownership before they buy a car.

Last week the motor of social engineering was still running. Parents of fat children were told that they would soon be receiving tuition in how to give their offspring better diets. Meanwhile banners in the city centre proclaimed 'Good Teeth Make a Difference - Year of Oral Education '94'.

Most Singaporeans don't seem to mind living in a social laboratory. Elections themselves are not rigged. The PAP has always delivered economic growth and always won nearly every seat. But between elections, the government works hard to keep the opposition at bay.

THE FAY case has been presented both in America and Singapore as a battle between the West - soft, decadent and self-indulgent - and Singapore, the place that puts society's interests before the individual, is tough on crime and gets peace on the streets and prosperity in the workplace as a result.

Objectively, of course, this is nonsense. By any measure, the United States is tough on crime. It jails a larger proportion of its citizens than any other Western country and murderers are gassed, electrocuted, hanged and shot. None of this, however, has stopped the US having the highest crime rate in the developed world.

Only a few Singaporeans and expatriates criticise the punishment and then only in private. One evening last week a British banker began by condemning the 'awful brutality of caning' and went on to criticise the whole country. 'I've been here for the money for a while. But I still can't get used to the awful television and sham newspapers which never report anything but happy news.'

(link)

I might also note that the ObamaCare model of forcing people to purchase insurance and other things is very much at work in Singapore, as the article describes.

As someone who has watched marathons of Cops, Locked Up, etc. I don't give a damn at this point. People could get busted selling hard drugs and doing other stupid s**t, and they maybe get a year in prison, and a lot of penitentiaries have programs now where depending on your "level" and behavior, you can shave time off your sentence. If you're a shitty person, you should not be given that option. Especially if you're far more likely to go back to what you were doing instead of doing something productive.

It's getting to the point where I wish someone would release krocodile here. 80% effective kill rate in the multi-hit users. Just slash the numbers down.

I'm kinda twisted today...

Omnipresent Warlord

1) It's not a political matter. Sony should have better safeguards on its information than... apparently barely any. If you don't protect your assets you will get robbed of them.

2) Sony getting embarrassing information leaked is not an act of war. The United States government could devote more resources to safeguarding information but that's about all it can do. Certainly not killing people over Sony's dirty laundry getting aired.

3) The threat to do any sort of damage to people who watched the movie was clearly an empty threat from North Korea and should have been ignored. Sony should not have pulled anything.

Gaian

LeonSlim
Lulamoon Sage
LeonSlim

Who said we are going to war?
You should ask yourself the same question, then read back over my previous posts. If you do, I'm one hundred percent sure you'll find that I was lauding THE IDEA of a US invasion of the "DPRK". I never once typed, nor implied that I thought we were going to go to war with them.

LERN2CONTEXT smartass.

That's a stupid a** idea.

Exactly my point.

Sikhil's Wife

Shameless Firestarter

15,025 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
With the various companies that produce films giving into terrorism threats I have this to share:

Newbie Fatcat

8,025 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Member 100
  • Profitable 100
welp where screwed neutral

Comrade

this is so retarded
and i can't take anything with the word "hackers" seriously
Since I like to share any good stuff I dredge up, here are two articles germane to the issue at hand:

Point the First. As is well known, this isn't the first time Sony has been hacked. So how bad is this backstory? Answer: Pretty bad.

Quote:
But the first most ridiculous part of this massive assault on Sony is that Sony has been hacked more than 50 times in the last 15 years.

Yes. That’s More Than Fifty.

Inside Fifteen Years.

Granted, this is not just Sony’s film studio business, but Sony Corporation, the Japanese conglomerate which includes Sony Pictures Entertainment, and Sony Computer Entertainment (the parent of PlayStation products). The cyber attacks have focused on these two entities, more so than Sony’s manufacturing and finance subsidiaries. But one would think that management at the top of the holding company structure would eventually demand ALL subsidiaries institute a baseline cyber security overhaul.

The first hack was in 1999, when a Sony website was defaced. This was a recurring theme for several years – 52 times websites across the Sony Group were defaced, between 1999 and early 2011.

Two times during the same period, Sony Computer Entertainment’s PlayStation PS3 games or accounts were hacked; customer credit card numbers were compromised, and SonyRewards program was breached – that’s a total of 56 attacks inside twelve years.

The attacks exploded after the first quarter of 2011, amounting to a total of 21 in that banner year alone. The worst attack in terms of scale affected 77 million PlayStation Network (PSN) users’ accounts. It was only the first multi-million account breach in 2011, however, and PSN was offline for 24 days due to another attack.

Though far fewer in number, cyber attacks since 2011 have been costly to Sony subsidiaries. The entire catalog of Michael Jackson’s songs was stolen sometime in 2011, but acknowledged in March 2012. In November 2013, Sony PSN notices unusual activity and resets passwords for an unspecified number of PSN user accounts.

The massive cyber attack in November was not the only one this year. In August, a group calling themselves the “Lizard Squad” spawned a distributed denial of service focused on PSN; at the same time, a bomb threat had been called in, causing diversion of the plane on which Sony’s president of its online entertainment subsidiary was traveling.

In February 2014, credentials for one or more Sony Pictures Entertainment servers were obtained by hackers and used to upload malware. Sony did not disclose the attack to the public as the breach appears to have occurred in Brazil, where no law requires such a disclosure. This may have been the initial vector of infection and attack by the Guardians of Peace, culminating in the November data breach, though it is not clear based on the information available to date.

What is clear from Sony subsidiaries’ cyber security history is that Sony has a massive, holding company-wide problem with operations security, and the problem is deeply embedded in its culture if attacks have not been stemmed over the last 15 years.

(link)

Point the Second. This has been fairly consistently been framed as a matter of free speech vs. censorship; this is probably not the most accurate nor the most useful way to understand this attack.

Quote:
The decision to pull the film has been criticized as an attack on free speech, most notably by Aaron Sorkin, but also by other commentators. “Today the U.S. succumbed to an unprecedented attack on our most cherished, bedrock principle of free speech,” Sorkin said. And free speech is one of the things — the last thing — Sony addressed in its statement on the decision. “We stand by our filmmakers and their right to free expression and are extremely disappointed by this outcome.”

But the threat against the film, which the Department of Homeland Security says is not credible, was only directed at one means of distributing the film: via theater release. A number of people suggested Sony should respond to the threat via other means. Mitt Romney suggested Sony release the film online, for free. Democratic congressman Steve Israel suggested Sony release it directly to DVD. BoingBoing’s Xeni Jardin suggested a global torrent party.

The point is, there are many ways to release the film, most of which would not expose theatergoers and theaters — in the wake of an altered liability landscape after the 2012 mass killing in an Aurora, Colorado, movie theater — to any danger, no matter how remote. Most of those ways would result in far more people watching the film. Some of them might even result in a few North Koreans viewing it.

If the issue is airing the views in the film — and defying the threats of the hackers — such a release would accomplish the goal.

But there’s another issue that seems far more central to this hack than speech: property.

Even before Sony mentioned its filmmakers’ free speech rights, for example, it mentioned the assault on its property rights. “Those who attacked us stole our intellectual property, private emails, and sensitive and proprietary material.” And while free release of its movie would assert its right to free speech, it would result in further financial losses, on top of the other movies (such as “Annie” and “Fury”) released on piracy sites after the hack.

Sony’s efforts to defend its property rights are another thing that have been exposed by this hack, on top of Hollywood stars’ personal data. The hack revealed, for example, that the female stars in “American Hustle,” including Jennifer Lawrence, got paid less — 7 percent of back end profits as opposed to 9 percent — than their male counterparts. It also revealed that only one of the top paid staffers at Sony is a woman....None of that excuses the hack or minimizes the serious damage to a lot of completely innocent people.

But when an intellectual property company like Sony suffers an attack that undermines much of that property, we’d do well to distinguish between an attack on free speech or on a certain fragile kind of property.

(link)

And as I was preparing this post, a talking head appeared on the TV news saying that no-one has volunteered to distribute the film online, or something like that. There are some real Job's comforters in the film industry, it seems: willing to commiserate, unwilling to concretely help.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff