Welcome to Gaia! ::

O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
Coma and Tail
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
Coma and Tail
Having a preference is never wrong.

I have a friend who's father is a ***** and child rapist, pretty sure his preference is wrong. wink
My views on ***** are different from yours.

Oh man, please do tell me about your views on man/boy love.
Go ahead and PM me.
We've spammed this thread enough
Coma and Tail
Bienaimee R
Coma and Tail
When I go to the Doctors or the the E.R, I DO ask for a white doctor. Why? Not racism, but the fact it's easier for me to understand them. I cannot stand accents I don't understand.

Surely the prudent thing to do would be to request a doctor who speaks clear, fluent English. Skin color is no guarantor of that. Just sayin'.
they would send an Indian doctor to me, then.

You never know. They might send you a Scots doctor. Good luck figuring out what s/he's saying.
Bienaimee R
Coma and Tail
Bienaimee R
Coma and Tail
When I go to the Doctors or the the E.R, I DO ask for a white doctor. Why? Not racism, but the fact it's easier for me to understand them. I cannot stand accents I don't understand.

Surely the prudent thing to do would be to request a doctor who speaks clear, fluent English. Skin color is no guarantor of that. Just sayin'.

You never know. They might send you a Scots doctor. Good luck figuring out what s/he's saying.
This is a small rural area. I'd be surprised to see them get new doctor, since we only have 3.
Coma and Tail
Bienaimee R
Coma and Tail
Bienaimee R
Coma and Tail

This is a small rural area. I'd be surprised to see them get new doctor, since we only have 3.

Gotcha.

Having a good ear for languages and accents is a talent, and I think you're right to request the doctor easiest for you to understand. Good rapport between a doctor and a patient matters and you don't need the stress and discomfiture of attempting to figure out what someone's saying to you.

I'm pretty gifted with accents and it's part of what qualifies me for my work. I'm always sort of surprised when a customer complains to me, "I can't understand So-and-So," because I understand the person clearly.
Bienaimee R
Coma and Tail
Bienaimee R
Coma and Tail
Bienaimee R
Coma and Tail

Gotcha.

Having a good ear for languages and accents is a talent, and I think you're right to request the doctor easiest for you to understand. Good rapport between a doctor and a patient matters and you don't need the stress and discomfiture of attempting to figure out what someone's saying to you.

I'm pretty gifted with accents and it's part of what qualifies me for my work. I'm always sort of surprised when a customer complains to me, "I can't understand So-and-So," because I understand the person clearly.
I have had issues where I went to the ER, recently, with a sprained ankle. Between 4 doctors going in and out, the one to let me know what was going on with me was Indian. He slipped in the door, rushed his words, and left without me getting a question in. I did, later, have to have a nurse come in and explain, and I explained my issue of not understanding.
Some things are just easier than others, and in emergency situations, i dont want to deal with such issues.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Honey of the South
I think it may be right to accomodate those of minority groups, but not white people. The minorities I can understand wanting to see a doctor of their race since it may make it easier if they have something that is more common in their race than it is in others. Example would be like sickle-cell anemia. Those of other races may not have any way to relate to those kinds of things.

DAFUQ??
It's okay for minorities to be racist but not majorities?
Every race has certain possible medical conditions that are more likely in their race. It doesn't mean the attending physician is not trained in said condition regardless of race. Likewise male doctors can not give birth but they can still be well trained in prenatal care and birth.

I find swastika guy offensive but I still support his right to have a preference about who attends him or his family. He was talking about care of his one baby. He was not demanding the hospital fire its black employees or anything like that. I think the dude is misguided but I just don't see it as a big deal to honor his request. It also minimizes the chance of him suing if something goes wrong.

As I stated in a similar thread, some black people are probably more comfortable being attended by black medical staff. You say so yourself in your post. In a sense you are saying the reason behind a person's preference is what matters. Because, you know, some black people are extremely racist too. Their reason for not wanting a cracker working on them may have nothing to do with familiarity with like diseases. They may just hate on whitey.

In summary though what I see here is rights of the consumer (no matter how screwed up he/she is) being confused with employee / employer rights. If the employees suing can show they were in some way treated badly by their employer or lost hours or pay or seniority or anything like that based on their blackness then go for it. If all they can show is they were assigned to other babies and still got their normal hours and pay etc. then I hope they lose their lawsuit because I don't feel they were discriminated against by their employer. By the same token I don't have any problem with a hospital honoring a patient who prefers a black nurse or a female doctor over a male. If it is easy to accommodate - great. If it forces extra costs like bringing someone additional on shift then the patient should bear the extra cost.

Friendly Wench

Pseudo-Onkelos
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
Coma and Tail

I have a friend who's father is a ***** and child rapist, pretty sure his preference is wrong. wink

Homosexuality was also deemed so in the past. It all depends on society.

Certainly, but in my society - my friends/peers/etc. - it's frowned upon.

Conservative Victory

My own view is that I could care less what race the doctor or nurse that is treating me is. Yes I naturally have an infinity for White primary care physicians and gastroenterologists, but as long as the person speaks fluent English, is friendly, and knows what they are doing, I am fine with them seeing and treating me. I have seen male and female doctors and nurses, and ones who are White, Black, Hispanic, and Asian. The language barrier yes, but I am surprised that race plays a big role in the doctors and nurses we want attending us. I would think the skill and ability to treat us properly would trump all.

Magical Star

O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
Coma and Tail

It's no bigoted, since my opinion is based from where I live.

My friend livse in Mississippi and is black and gets a lot of racism because of "where she lives" and nobody has proven to her that white people aren't all ignorant hicks, does that make her correct in believing that all white people don't have two brain cells to rub together?
All humans are innately biased. Humans will always find something to belittle other humans in order to boost their ego - whether it's racism and/or socio-economic status.

Spooky Girl

18,525 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
Pseudo-Onkelos
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
Coma and Tail

Homosexuality was also deemed so in the past. It all depends on society.

yum_tea Equating gay people with child rapists. My opinion of you just sank to an all-time low.
This thread is ridiculous. I think what people aren't getting is that it's impossible to be racist against a white person. C'mon now, that basic ethnic studies. Anyway, the fact that people get away with this racist preference s**t is ridiculous.

Dedicated Student

Honey of the South
I think it may be right to accomodate those of minority groups, but not white people. The minorities I can understand wanting to see a doctor of their race since it may make it easier if they have something that is more common in their race than it is in others. Example would be like sickle-cell anemia. Those of other races may not have any way to relate to those kinds of things.

As far as I know there is no race related sicknesses. Even whites can get sickle-cell anemia. Just what are you implying?

And what if a white feels more comfortable with another white? Maybe it's not racism, but more like they feel comfortable with people that look more like them. Why should whites not be able to do that, but other minorities can? I smell double standard.

I think I agree that they really shouldn't give into any race related requests unless it's something special. Like after a white person gets raped by a black you wouldn't necessarily let a black person give the exam unless the patient is okay with that. The same is for the other way around too.

Although I've seen good arguments of why they should give into race related requests so long as the employees still get paid and everything. Of course that can be sticky too. If they get paid based on who they see then that can be bothersome.

I just think if minorities get to do it, then non racial minorities should be able to request the same thing. To say they shouldn't is well racist. Yes. You can be racist against whites.
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Honey of the South

As far as I know there is no race related sicknesses. Even whites can get sickle-cell anemia. Just what are you implying?

And what if a white feels more comfortable with another white? Maybe it's not racism, but more like they feel comfortable with people that look more like them. Why should whites not be able to do that, but other minorities can? I smell double standard.

I think I agree that they really shouldn't give into any race related requests unless it's something special. Like after a white person gets raped by a black you wouldn't necessarily let a black person give the exam unless the patient is okay with that. The same is for the other way around too.

Although I've seen good arguments of why they should give into race related requests so long as the employees still get paid and everything. Of course that can be sticky too. If they get paid based on who they see then that can be bothersome.

I just think if minorities get to do it, then non racial minorities should be able to request the same thing. To say they shouldn't is well racist. Yes. You can be racist against whites.

No. You can't. Jesus christ people.

Dedicated Student

SherbetHolmes

No. You can't. Jesus christ people.

No you can't what?

I said a lot there and you just said no you can't.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff