Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
The Guardian posted a 14-minute video preview of an upcoming interview with Edward Snowden today, and among talk of the Russians (not working for them), Gitmo (could "live with" going), and 1984 (hasn't read it in a while) was this unsettling bit about NSA workers and nude photos.

Quote:
You've got young enlisted guys, 18 to 22. They've suddenly thrust into a position of extraordinary responsibility, where they now have access to all of your private records. Now, in the course of their daily work, they stumble across something that is completely unrelated to their work in any sort of necessary sense. For example: an intimate nude photo of someone in a sexually compromising situation, but they're extremely attractive. So what do they do? They turn around in their chair, and they show their coworker. And their coworker says, "Oh, hey, that's great. Send that to Bill down the way. And then Bill sends it to George, George sends it to Tom, and sooner or later, this person's whole life has been seen by all of these other people. It's never reported. Nobody ever knows about it, because the auditing of these systems is incredibly weak.

When Guardian editor-in-chief Alan Rusbridger asks Snowden to clarify how often he saw this sort of thing happen, he answered: "It's routine enough. Depending on sort of the company you keep, it could be more or less frequent. But these are seen as sort of the fringe benefits of surveillance positions."

There you have it: all your worst fears about government surveillance appear to be true! Never sext again.

Snowden: NSA Workers Routinely Share Your Nude Photos

Dangerous Prophet

And we take him at his word because...?

Profitable Entrepreneur

6,300 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
The Silent Seraph
And we take him at his word because...?
Because he's talking about human beings, in protected government jobs, and provded with all the power and protection a government can provide them with. And because it is not a stretch to believe that your fellow man is quite capable of it.

Dangerous Prophet

Ah. So because it's possible, and we're afraid of it.

Wizard's First Rule.

Let's be more objective, and analyze his credibility as a source, as well as the probability that government time and money is being spent looking for your n***s.

Wintry Dragon

This is why I don't like leaving footprints on the net.
Not that I'd be posing that way any time or that people will find pictures that striking enough to share.

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
The Silent Seraph

Wizard's First Rule.

Let's be more objective, and analyze his credibility as a source, as well as the probability that government time and money is being spent looking for your n***s.

Can't cell phone companies look at your texts and photos too?

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Give 'em the goat... twisted

15,850 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
why we even still listen to him is beyond me

Dangerous Prophet

MemoriesOfGreen
The Silent Seraph

Wizard's First Rule.

Technically yes, the texts pass through their network and so could be viewed. The photos on your phone, not legally. Whether or not they are retained, and how long the retention period is, would depend on company policy. Realistically speaking, how would you like to sort through all the texts and photos of a multinational provider by hand with no Google alogrithm or meta tags to help point you to the boobies?

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
The Silent Seraph
MemoriesOfGreen
The Silent Seraph

Wizard's First Rule.

Technically yes, the texts pass through their network and so could be viewed. The photos on your phone, not legally. Whether or not they are retained, and how long the retention period is, would depend on company policy. Realistically speaking, how would you like to sort through all the texts and photos of a multinational provider by hand with no Google alogrithm or meta tags to help point you to the boobies?

I wouldn't, but not because it's inconvenient. If I wanna see boobies, all I have to do is look in the mirror.

Tipsy Smoker

I really wouldn't give a ******** if they did or not.

Quotable Phantom

6,000 Points
  • Party Animal 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
This is why we don't post nude photos on internets, unless you want people to see you in your fully exposed glory.

It also makes me curious on what would happen if they came across child nudies.
this shouldnt be news to anyone.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces