Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
A snakebite victim who was treated at a North Carolina hospital came away with more than just fang marks when he received an $89,227 bill for an 18-hour stay.

Eric Ferguson, 54, from Mooresville, N.C., got the staggering bill for anti-venom medicine and a short visit at Lake Norman Regional Center, according to the Charlotte Observer, after a snake bit him in the foot while he was taking out the garbage.

According to his bill, the hospital charged a whopping $81,000 for a four-vial dose of the medication.

For comparison, Ferguson and his wife found the same vials online for retail prices as low as $750.

Ferguson, who is insured, said his care was "beyond phenomenal."

"It was just the sticker shock," he said.

The hospital reduced the bill to $20,227 because of a contract with Ferguson's insurer. In the end, he paid $5,400 of his own money for his deductible and co-pay.

The hospital defended its prices, saying it has to charge prices higher than retail because of the various discounts it is required to give insurers.

The Fergusons' case is, of course, not unique. A 2013 cover story by Steven Brill in Time magazine ("Why Medical Bills Are Killing Us" wink detailed the "outrageous pricing and egregious profits" destroying the U.S. health care system, noting that Americans were expected to spend an estimated $2.8 trillion on health care last year.

Not cheap
Yup. Best healthcare system in the world. No need to change a thing.
Well, anti-venom can cost up to $20,000 a vial.
See, now you wouldn't get that over here. Over here he would have been treated for free

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
x-Garethp-x
See, now you wouldn't get that over here. Over here he would have been treated for free

QFE.
americas shitty healthcare system at work.

Undead Enchantress

I thought this was an old thread since I think we got something similar several months ago. I guess nobody learned from the last time it happen. gonk

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
I AM R U
x-Garethp-x

QFE.
It's called paying lots of taxes. Everyone is one Government healthcare.

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
xdivision_whitey
I AM R U
x-Garethp-x

QFE.
It's called paying lots of taxes. Everyone is one Government healthcare.

Australians actually pay less tax (as a percentage of their income) than Americans. We also do have private health insurance, if we want it.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
So much for health care reform.

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

If the snake bite doesn't kill you,the medical debt will!

Deathly Sage

21,600 Points
  • Rebel Spark 50
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
i laugh at healthcare
best healthcare is no healthcare

Profitable Hunter

7,500 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Profitable 100