Welcome to Gaia! ::

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
This is encouraging. I wonder if it will have similar effects in people they are having trouble treating with antibiotics.

Silver, the antibiotic
Thousands of years before the discovery of microbes or the invention of antibiotics, silver was used to protect wounds from infection and to preserve food and water.

The alluring metal - which was fashioned into a multitude of curative coins, sutures, foils, cups and solutions - all but vanished from medical use once physicians began using anti-bacterial drug agents to fight sickness in the 1940s.

But now, as bacteria grow increasingly resistant to these medications and new pathogens invade hospitals, some doctors are turning once again to the lustrous element that Hippocrates prescribed for patients in ancient Greece.

In a study published Wednesday in Science Translational Medicine, researchers found that by adding trace amounts of silver to common antibiotics, the medications became up to 1,000 times more effective in fighting infections in mice.

Also, study authors said they were surprised and excited to find that the silver-antibiotic combo was able to "re-sensitise" bacteria that had developed a resistance to the drugs. It even extended the effectiveness of the commonly used antibiotic vancomycin to a class of bacteria that was previously immune to its effects.

"We went from basically no killing to substantial killing," said senior author James Collins, a professor of microbiology at Boston University.

The study is one of the first comprehensive examinations of the ways that silver affects bacteria that are known as Gram-negative. These bacteria are equipped with an extra protective membrane that prevents antibiotic drug molecules from penetrating and killing them.

In a series of experiments, Collins and colleagues from BU and Harvard University examined the effects of a simple solution of silver nitrate salt on Gram-negative bacteria like Escherichia coli.
What they found was that even small amounts of silver ran roughshod over some of the toughest bacteria around.

"It did two things," Collins said. The positively charged silver ions degraded the bacteria's protective layer, giving the antibiotics easier access to the pathogens' innards. It also messed with the bugs' metabolism and their ability to manage their iron levels.

The second effect led to the creation of molecules that can kill bacteria, including oxygen molecules that are prone to chemical reactions that can damage cells, Collins said.

In one experiment, researchers induced peritonitis in mice by injecting them with E. coli cells. Of the mice treated with silver and vancomycin, 90 percent survived.

Mice treated with just silver or just vancomycin fared much worse. Half of the mice that got silver died, along with 90 percent of the mice treated with antibiotics.

The researchers also observed that silver was effective against biofilms _ colonies of slime-protected bacteria that create stubborn infections on medical implants, heart valves and hospital equipment.

Although experiments combining silver and antibiotics have yet to be performed on humans, the study suggests that the metal may become a powerful helper in the fight against multi-drug-resistant microbes.

Researchers who were not involved in the study said it was timely, given the rising concern over the dwindling power of antibiotics. The World Health Organisation warns that "many infectious diseases risk becoming untreatable and uncontrollable."

"This is exciting data and should help pave the way for clinical trials into the use of silver," said Wilmore Webley, an assistant professor of microbiology at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. "The investigators covered a lot of ground."

While the precise mechanisms by which silver kills germs remain something of a mystery, the element's medicinal and preservative qualities have been recorded throughout history.

Silver has been used variously to treat skin ulcers, compound fractures and even bad breath.

In his "History of the Medical Use of Silver," Dr. J. Wesley Alexander wrote that North American pioneers routinely dropped silver coins into vessels of drinking water during long journeys to ward off infection. In addition, privileged families benefited from using silver eating utensils that often caused "a bluish-grey discolouration of the skin, thus becoming known as 'blue bloods.'"

Argyria, an irreversible condition in which the skin turns blue or grey due to the build-up of silver particles, is the result of consuming silver solutions or flecks of the metal over long periods of time.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Wonder if this is why silver is considered a weakness in werewolf myths...

...Also wonder how much meds utilizing silver will cost.

Undead Enchantress

Gold: I think it was used for arthritis?
Silver: I think it's used for burn ointments.
Mercury: Sort of a wrong turn there, but it was pretty prevalent as a multipurpose cure for various ailments from injury to mood problems.
Remember that the above article is non-professional and geared towards a readership of laypeople. It isn't stating anything new or particularly radical; in fact it seems to be romanticising silver and its potential use in medicine. Silver is already a well established treatment in current clinical practice - for example silver donating antimicrobial dressings are used in the treatment of venous leg ulcers, however a recent high quality (by professional standards) large randomised controlled trial - the VULCAN trial - produced evidence showing that silver dressings are no more effective than unmedicated low-adherence dressings for treating leg ulcers - it should also be noted that these findings in relation to the lack of evidence for the benefit from silver antimicrobial dressings were robust, with no suggestion of benefit for particular dressing types or population subgroups. In the UK the National Prescribing Centre issues bulletins to all doctors based upon the most upto date and highest quality research to ensure the highest standards of evidence based clinical treatment - the above recommendation was issued in 2010.

Silver sulphadiazine is another well established treatment, with broad spectrum antimicrobial activity (against both gram postive and negative bacteria, anaerobes, fungi and Pseudomonas) in this case it is widely used as a topical cream to prevent burn wound infection. Although widely available it is associated with a number of important side effects also it is NOT used to treat the established infection of burns. Silver nitrate is also applied topically at a 0.5% solution (higher concentrations are cytotoxic) as burn wound prophylaxis against infection again with noted microbiological activity against gram negative bacteria. Mafenide however is a broad spectrum antimicrobial that has a better solubility in eschar than either silver sulphadiazine or nitrate. This means it has been used for both the prophylaxis and treatment of burn infection.

So what I'm trying to say is to take these articles with a pinch of salt; many sources ranging from online scientific magazines to mainstream news report on medical advances as if they are completely new and revolutionary when the reality is actually far from that - these are very complex issues that are never so straightforward. Also the editor and author of such articles/ news reports will almost certainly lack the required training (such as that of a medical doctor) to correctly critically appraise trial data. People tend to cite every relevant study under the sun when discussing scientific topics on gaia; be wary of scientific studies - unless you yourself (or a recognised professional authority) have critically appraised it, it has little to no weighting and should be by no means trustworthy, unbiased or valid just because it's "a scientific study".

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Erynne
Gold: I think it was used for arthritis?
Silver: I think it's used for burn ointments.
Mercury: Sort of a wrong turn there, but it was pretty prevalent as a multipurpose cure for various ailments from injury to mood problems.

Oh god... rofl

Dapper Dabbler

10,300 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
Yesterday i was at walgreens picking up a prescription, and while i was waiting i saw a cramp reliever that cost 50+ bucks. My boyfriend looked at the ingredients to find out why, turn out it had silver in it.
O.o

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Silver bullet anyone?

Feral Nymph

victor gusta queso
Yesterday i was at walgreens picking up a prescription, and while i was waiting i saw a cramp reliever that cost 50+ bucks. My boyfriend looked at the ingredients to find out why, turn out it had silver in it.
O.o

Like a topical treatment or something? o_O Like Turkey already said, silver's good as an antibiotic for wounds and burns, but it's not a muscle relaxant or a pain reliever.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
victor gusta queso
O.o

That's not why it was $50. Or at least it shouldn't have been. Sounds more like marketing or something else pushing up the price.
The current spot price on silver is $19.44/oz. The amount of actual silver in things for human consumption / use is very minimal. An ounce of pure silver could likely be used to make a LOT of bottles of that stuff you were looking at. While I don't claim to know the production costs of a cream or pill containing silver I can bet the actual cost of the sliver is a very small part of it. Probably it was just overpriced.

Invisible Explorer

7,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Member 100
  • Market Browser 100
They'll synthesize the stuff and it won't work at all.

Dapper Dabbler

10,300 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
Pessimist
victor gusta queso
O.o

Like a topical treatment or something? o_O Like Turkey already said, silver's good as an antibiotic for wounds and burns, but it's not a muscle relaxant or a pain reliever.

Im not entirely sure, i saw the price but then got distracted by something else, lol.
I believe it was one of those roll on things.

Questionable Shapeshifter

19,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500
JamesWN

There won't be any. Silver is a natural substance, whcih means you can't put a patend on it. If you can't patend than the drug companies aren't interested. No way to corner the market, and conrol the prices. Drug companies aren't interested in products that any small company can produce and market at a reasonable cost. There's no profit in a reasonably priced product, and there's no way to drive the price up w/o controling the market. That's why they have never dealt in herbal remedies, except once processed into a concetrated pill, b/c the process can be patended.

Also why there's no FDA approval on the natural remedies. No one to pay a kick back to the FDA to get the approval passed. This really isn't new info. The fact that silver is the best natural antibiotic in the world has been known for a long time, and it gets "discovered' every once in a while. Actually, publicising it is probably the worst thing that can be done. If it gets too much attention, the FDA witll go after its legality the way it did w/ B17. Drug companies don't like competition, and aren't above using their lapdog the FDA to take it out.

[braces for the comspriacy theories trolling]

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
MegaTurkey
Remember that the above article is non-professional and geared towards a readership of laypeople. It isn't stating anything new or particularly radical; in fact it seems to be romanticising silver and its potential use in medicine. Silver is already a well established treatment in current clinical practice - for example silver donating antimicrobial dressings are used in the treatment of venous leg ulcers, however a recent high quality (by professional standards) large randomised controlled trial - the VULCAN trial - produced evidence showing that silver dressings are no more effective than unmedicated low-adherence dressings for treating leg ulcers - it should also be noted that these findings in relation to the lack of evidence for the benefit from silver antimicrobial dressings were robust, with no suggestion of benefit for particular dressing types or population subgroups. In the UK the National Prescribing Centre issues bulletins to all doctors based upon the most upto date and highest quality research to ensure the highest standards of evidence based clinical treatment - the above recommendation was issued in 2010.

Silver sulphadiazine is another well established treatment, with broad spectrum antimicrobial activity (against both gram postive and negative bacteria, anaerobes, fungi and Pseudomonas) in this case it is widely used as a topical cream to prevent burn wound infection. Although widely available it is associated with a number of important side effects also it is NOT used to treat the established infection of burns. Silver nitrate is also applied topically at a 0.5% solution (higher concentrations are cytotoxic) as burn wound prophylaxis against infection again with noted microbiological activity against gram negative bacteria. Mafenide however is a broad spectrum antimicrobial that has a better solubility in eschar than either silver sulphadiazine or nitrate. This means it has been used for both the prophylaxis and treatment of burn infection.

So what I'm trying to say is to take these articles with a pinch of salt; many sources ranging from online scientific magazines to mainstream news report on medical advances as if they are completely new and revolutionary when the reality is actually far from that - these are very complex issues that are never so straightforward. Also the editor and author of such articles/ news reports will almost certainly lack the required training (such as that of a medical doctor) to correctly critically appraise trial data. People tend to cite every relevant study under the sun when discussing scientific topics on gaia; be wary of scientific studies - unless you yourself (or a recognised professional authority) have critically appraised it, it has little to no weighting and should be by no means trustworthy, unbiased or valid just because it's "a scientific study".

Wow. So much negativity.
You make it sound like these guys were having a few beers around the BBQ and decided to write an article on silver so they could sell more bottles of snake oil off their gypsy wagon.
You seem to have me (or the author) confused with some tin foil hat wearing nutter who believes in every miracle cure he hears about. I just thought it was an interesting study with encouraging results that might lead to something if pursued further.

In general I agree with you that one study / article does not make a medical breakthrough and that antimicrobial effects of silver have been considered before. (Even the article addresses that last point.) But I do want to address a few things you said

geared towards a readership of laypeople.
And that is a problem because why....?
Most scientific studies and legal bills of potential interest to the public have one or more 'dumbed down' articles written about them. When the average person goes to the doctor, the doctor does not use the Latin words for all of your body parts when describing your symptoms or the treatment. A layman's version being written about something does not in itself invalidate the 'something'. If it did then everything taught in grade school science / health / history would be false because it was 'dumbed down'.

It isn't stating anything new
I have not personally read about any studies that combined silver and antibiotics at the same time - successful or otherwise. Have you? Yes the idea of silver to fight bacteria is nothing new. However what is new (well, 'new again' or currently in the news again) is hospitals and the medical industry as a whole having a hard time killing off antibiotic resistant bacteria and wringing their collective hands over what they are going to do about it because the pharmaceutical industry is not coming up with new antibiotics fast enough and they are running out of options.

While I don't doubt your statements about uses of silver in burn victims this sounds like a different application. The article is not recommending silver for all or saying this is some sort of panacea or claiming more study doesn't need to be done. They did a study in mice and found silver + antibiotic performed very well compared to either one alone. It's encouraging and perhaps more study should be done - simple as that. There was no link to go buy your bottle of magical sliver elixir.

It is also worth noting that just because something didn't work well on burn victims doesn't mean it might not work well for something else. As you are probably aware some well accepted antibiotics work very well at targeting respiratory infections while others barely touch them - even though both (all) are medically proven as useful antibiotics for some issues.

"Also the editor and author of such articles/ news reports will almost certainly lack the required training (such as that of a medical doctor) to correctly critically appraise trial data."

James Collins is a PhD with interests in the field and has published other articles on related subjects. He / his group is studying various ways to combat the problem of antibiotic resistant bacteria. This layman's article on silver / antibiotic combo describes one of those ways in wording the average Joe can understand. Feel free to read some of his articles on the following link. You will see they are not 'dumbed down' layman's versions. His phone number and email are also listed so feel free to ring him up and call him out if you still think he isn't a 'real' scientist and any and all research he does is total bunk because someone wrote an article about it a layman could understand.
http://www.bu.edu/bme/people/primary/collins/

Science Transitional Magazine's web site is here
http://stm.sciencemag.org/
The paper discussed in the article I linked is here -
Silver Enhances Antibiotic Activity Against Gram-Negative Bacteria
Sci Transl Med 19 June 2013:
Vol. 5 no. 190 pp. 190ra81DOI:10.1126/scitranslmed.3006276
Advancing medicine through science

but I was unable to read the actual article because it requires you to sign in. However even the plain English wording the summary is less 'layman' than the article I posted.
A declining pipeline of clinically useful antibiotics has made it imperative to develop more effective antimicrobial therapies, particularly against difficult-to-treat Gram-negative pathogens. Silver has been used as an antimicrobial since antiquity, yet its mechanism of action remains unclear. We show that silver disrupts multiple bacterial cellular processes, including disulfide bond formation, metabolism, and iron homeostasis. These changes lead to increased production of reactive oxygen species and increased membrane permeability of Gram-negative bacteria that can potentiate the activity of a broad range of antibiotics against Gram-negative bacteria in different metabolic states, as well as restore antibiotic susceptibility to a resistant bacterial strain. We show both in vitro and in a mouse model of urinary tract infection that the ability of silver to induce oxidative stress can be harnessed to potentiate antibiotic activity. Additionally, we demonstrate in vitro and in two different mouse models of peritonitis that silver sensitizes Gram-negative bacteria to the Gram-positive–specific antibiotic vancomycin, thereby expanding the antibacterial spectrum of this drug. Finally, we used silver and antibiotic combinations in vitro to eradicate bacterial persister cells, and show both in vitro and in a mouse biofilm infection model that silver can enhance antibacterial action against bacteria that produce biofilms. This work shows that silver can be used to enhance the action of existing antibiotics against Gram-negative bacteria, thus strengthening the antibiotic arsenal for fighting bacterial infections.

Sweet Tycoon

8,600 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Mark Twain 100
So...we are basically putting silver in are system O.o eek

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
vwytche
JamesWN

There won't be any. Silver is a natural substance, whcih means you can't put a patend on it. If you can't patend than the drug companies aren't interested. No way to corner the market, and conrol the prices. Drug companies aren't interested in products that any small company can produce and market at a reasonable cost. There's no profit in a reasonably priced product, and there's no way to drive the price up w/o controling the market. That's why they have never dealt in herbal remedies, except once processed into a concetrated pill, b/c the process can be patended.

Also why there's no FDA approval on the natural remedies. No one to pay a kick back to the FDA to get the approval passed. This really isn't new info. The fact that silver is the best natural antibiotic in the world has been known for a long time, and it gets "discovered' every once in a while. Actually, publicising it is probably the worst thing that can be done. If it gets too much attention, the FDA witll go after its legality the way it did w/ B17. Drug companies don't like competition, and aren't above using their lapdog the FDA to take it out.

[braces for the comspriacy theories trolling]

While I certainly agree drug companies are in it for the money there are plenty of examples of patented products with ingredients that are not in themselves patented.

I recently disappointed a friend by pointing out her Tylenol PM was simply a combination of acetaminophen (Tylenol) and diphenhydramine (Benadryl). Both widely available as generics and much cheaper. Plus if you really want to pop a benadryl to help you sleep why take the acetaminophen if you don't need it?

Vicks recently expanded its 'Nyquil' brand of products with zzzQuil and had commercials making a bid deal out of it. Same for the product Nytol. Both are simply diphenhydramine as the only active ingredient. Costco sells a bottle of the Kirkland brand of diphenhydramine - 400 tablets for something like $3 or $4. It is ridiculously cheap compared to the name brands.

My point is obviously manufacturers feel there is still money to be made even on stuff that is available OTC or as a generic. A lot of people don't bother to read the labels and educate themselves. Given how cheaply generic diphenhydramine can be produced and sold the profit margin on the brand name Benadryl must be astronomical. Same goes for s**t like Nytol, zzzQuil and Tylenol PM.

Example from quick web search -
Benadryl - 24 tablets $4.44 or 18.5 cents each.
Kirkland diphenhydramine 400 tablets $4 (best guess on price from memory) or 1 cent each.
So Kirkland is turning a profit at 1 cent per tablet and Benadryl is charging you 18.5 times that much for the same ingredient, same dosage.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff