Welcome to Gaia! ::

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Ratttking
Instead of pills, try potassium chloride, aka potassium salt or K-salt. It costs only a little more than regular salt and is much easier to swallow than pills.

Is it inherently better for me than other forms of potassium?
I think I have tried potassium chloride and don't really like the taste of it. To me it has a more - dunno - metallic? acrid? - taste to it than regular salt. I have not cooked with added salt for several years now so it's not like I would be replacing sodium chloride with potassium chloride. At this point I'd just be adding the potassium. Except I don't have a problem swallowing the pills so no need to change unless a different form is better for my body.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
David2074
Ratttking
David2074

Personally I think coconut water is currently over priced and over hyped. You get electrolytes and sugar but you can get those from other sources for less money.
I've been drinking it for years and am appalled by the prices these American companies charge. I get Goya brand or one from Thailand whose name I'm not sure of (because I can't read Thai) and they cost half the price of the newer brands. I've heard they taste different, too, but cannot verify that.

I know I'm being cynical but my first thought about that was, "Well, if it's like so many other Asian vs American things the American version has more sugar in it". Maybe not really but my mind just went to how many Asian deserts are more subtly sweet than American deserts.

I tried the canned coconut water with the little chunks in it from the local Asian grocery store. The flavor was okay but I found I did not like the chunks. They would sort of surprise me and my brain would think 'pollutant' rather than 'treat'. I use coconut milk in some different dishes and I'm bummed at how that has more than doubled in price in the past year or so.
I didn't know they added sugar, guess I should check the ingredients. I'm pretty sure that the Thai kind I get is just coconut water, young coconut pieces, and possibly a preservative. I emotion_bigheart young coconuts, so soft and jelly-like. They're even called jelly coconuts sometimes, maybe if you see them in jars you will try them and like them by themselves.

Coconut milk costs about $1.69/can at Safeway here, what do you pay?

Friendly Wench

kakteed

Yes, one sip that you will regret for the rest of your life. I mean, have you seen the scoby mother? emotion_0A0 Looks like placenta.
Lol for chef friends thinkin we care about stuff and stuff. I've never even heard of those ; are they food history books?
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
...The horror that is mother scoby....

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
David2074
Ratttking
Instead of pills, try potassium chloride, aka potassium salt or K-salt. It costs only a little more than regular salt and is much easier to swallow than pills.

Is it inherently better for me than other forms of potassium?
I think I have tried potassium chloride and don't really like the taste of it. To me it has a more - dunno - metallic? acrid? - taste to it than regular salt. I have not cooked with added salt for several years now so it's not like I would be replacing sodium chloride with potassium chloride. At this point I'd just be adding the potassium. Except I don't have a problem swallowing the pills so no need to change unless a different form is better for my body.
I'm sorry, I don't know if it's better than your potassium supplements and if you don't like the taste or even use salt, it would be pointless for you to use it. My dad's doctor recommended he use it to get more K in his diet.

It's funny, I taste no different between sodium ans potassium salt, neither does my BF but his mom said they tasted different to her. I wonder why.

Fashionable Hunter

O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
kakteed

Yes, one sip that you will regret for the rest of your life. I mean, have you seen the scoby mother? emotion_0A0 Looks like placenta.
Lol for chef friends thinkin we care about stuff and stuff. I've never even heard of those ; are they food history books?

No eek I dun wanna click the unblock button crying

Hahaha, I'm pretty sure she knows I have no idea what she's saying. She's just kind of isolated right now since she moved to Canada and all her colleagues are way older than her, so I let her talk my ear off until she's good.

They are biggrin

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
kakteed

DUDE!!! They made the spoiler feature for a reason! emotion_puke

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Ratttking
David2074
Ratttking
David2074

Personally I think coconut water is currently over priced and over hyped. You get electrolytes and sugar but you can get those from other sources for less money.
I've been drinking it for years and am appalled by the prices these American companies charge. I get Goya brand or one from Thailand whose name I'm not sure of (because I can't read Thai) and they cost half the price of the newer brands. I've heard they taste different, too, but cannot verify that.

I know I'm being cynical but my first thought about that was, "Well, if it's like so many other Asian vs American things the American version has more sugar in it". Maybe not really but my mind just went to how many Asian deserts are more subtly sweet than American deserts.

I tried the canned coconut water with the little chunks in it from the local Asian grocery store. The flavor was okay but I found I did not like the chunks. They would sort of surprise me and my brain would think 'pollutant' rather than 'treat'. I use coconut milk in some different dishes and I'm bummed at how that has more than doubled in price in the past year or so.
I didn't know they added sugar, guess I should check the ingredients. I'm pretty sure that the Thai kind I get is just coconut water, young coconut pieces, and possibly a preservative. I emotion_bigheart young coconuts, so soft and jelly-like. They're even called jelly coconuts sometimes, maybe if you see them in jars you will try them and like them by themselves.

Coconut milk costs about $1.69/can at Safeway here, what do you pay?

I should clarify I don't know if any sugar is added. It just popped into my mind when you said the American brands taste different.

Coconut milk is $2 or more per can now. It does not seem like that long ago I could routinely get it for .99 and sometimes even less like.79 or .89 on sale or a brand they were trying to move along. I can tell the difference between coconut milk and coconut cream but not so much between on brand or another.

Friendly Wench

Ratttking
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
kakteed

I don't know how to use the spoiler emotion_awesome
Seriously, I've been here six years and still suck at learning simple things. emo

Friendly Wench

kakteed

Hahaha, I'm pretty sure she knows I have no idea what she's saying. She's just kind of isolated right now since she moved to Canada and all her colleagues are way older than her, so I let her talk my ear off until she's good.

They are biggrin

Didja click it? Huh huh? It's so dank emotion_puke
Aw, poor her. I hate being around people that I have nothing in common with.
Imma google them! ...yeah...never going to read those....how do you find them enjoyable? ( To each their own of course. Just they're really not up my ally.)

Fashionable Hunter

O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
kakteed

They are biggrin

Didja click it? Huh huh? It's so dank emotion_puke
Aw, poor her. I hate being around people that I have nothing in common with.
Imma google them! ...yeah...never going to read those....how do you find them enjoyable? ( To each their own of course. Just they're really not up my ally.)

I did it crying I'm eating strawberries, goddamn it...

xd I just really enjoy history, and knowing about what I eat beyond all the scary s**t makes me feel like cooking and eating have more meaning.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
Ratttking
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
kakteed

I don't know how to use the spoiler emotion_awesome
Seriously, I've been here six years and still suck at learning simple things. emo
No worries, it's a rather new feature ( from earlier this year) and there is no shortcut like with text resizing, color, etc. You put the word spoiler in brackets in front of the phrase you want to hide and /spoiler in brackets at the end of the phrase.

Thank you for verifying that it tastes as bad as it sounds. xp

Nyadriel's King

Apocalyptic Shapeshifter

49,200 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Brick Breaker 50
  • Waffles! 25
David2074
Lord Elwrind
It's better than swallowing those damned horse pills. Trust me. Easier to digest than those pills too. I should know.

Maybe our bodies differ. I actually do take potassium supplements and I don't have any trouble swallowing them. They are roughly the size of an ibuprofin. I don't have trouble digesting them either but if I did that would certainly add to the 'worth it' factor of buying another source.

And yes to many other sports drinks being over hyped. Those vitamin waters make me laugh. You get more vitamins if you just chew up a kid's chewable vitamin and drink a glass of water. Also much cheaper. Most of that crap started hitting the mainstream market when the public started becoming more aware that maybe tons of carbonated sugar water is bad for you. If you bother reading most of it is put out by the same companies that make the sodas. Putting a small amount of B-12 or ginsing into a bottle of sugar water lets them sell it as a 'health' drink.

I take pills both ways (water and food) but most of the time I find they go down easier if I chew up some food until I am ready to swallow it, then mix the pills in inside my mouth and swallow. The 'food coating' helps them not stick in my throat the way some pills can with water.

Hum, I even tried drinking a bigger mouthful of liquid then swallowing. It's the size of em. And they are harder for me to digest. I had to stop taking pre-natal vitamin pills because between them and the problems with my stomach I was having, it got so I developed bleeding ulcers.

As for the ginseng, that stuff makes me sick for some reason. I avoid even the Starbuck's energy coffee drink. They don't even sell their double shots anymore because they switched it to that "health" drink stuff. (sigh)
It's not only americans spending money on that.
Ratttking
Why does anyone drink kombucha? Ugh. When my homemade iced tea starts to get cloudy and fermented like that, I pour it down the drain. Apparently it tastes like vinegar, which is a food-grade liquid but not, as far as I am concerned, a beverage.

That's how I am with tap water, I tried drinking it and I almost puked because of all the chemicals. Bottled water for me, and anything I can afford to eat and drink!

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Brilwen
Ratttking
Why does anyone drink kombucha? Ugh. When my homemade iced tea starts to get cloudy and fermented like that, I pour it down the drain. Apparently it tastes like vinegar, which is a food-grade liquid but not, as far as I am concerned, a beverage.

That's how I am with tap water, I tried drinking it and I almost puked because of all the chemicals. Bottled water for me, and anything I can afford to eat and drink!
True, chlorine can be nasty, but if you let the water sit out, like in a pitcher in the fridge, the chlorine evaporates. I've bought 2 bottles of water in my life: a Perrier, which I regretted, and a bottle of plain water to take into a shitty concert venue that allowed only water to be brought in and only a single bottle per person.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff