Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Hunter

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I wonder if to some degree this is similar to how the entertainment industry still tends to do well when the economy is down because people want to forget their troubles. It might be counter intuitive. Like, people on tight budgets get sick of buying 'basic' food so they might be more likely to splurge on the occasional fancy cheese or health drink to try to make themselves feel special.

Or it could be America's trend towards trying to eat more healthy foods. Many of the foods listed are supposed to be good for you (whether or not the difference is worth it). Personally I think coconut water is currently over priced and over hyped. You get electrolytes and sugar but you can get those from other sources for less money.

Nyadriel's King

Apocalyptic Shapeshifter

49,200 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Brick Breaker 50
  • Waffles! 25
David2074
I wonder if to some degree this is similar to how the entertainment industry still tends to do well when the economy is down because people want to forget their troubles. It might be counter intuitive. Like, people on tight budgets get sick of buying 'basic' food so they might be more likely to splurge on the occasional fancy cheese or health drink to try to make themselves feel special.

Or it could be America's trend towards trying to eat more healthy foods. Many of the foods listed are supposed to be good for you (whether or not the difference is worth it). Personally I think coconut water is currently over priced and over hyped. You get electrolytes and sugar but you can get those from other sources for less money.

As a person who has a heart condition, I have to disagree with you on the coconut water. More potassium per serving than two bananas is very good for me. And tennis players prefer it over Gatorade. Over-priced, consider where it comes from and how it gets here.

On to the topic:
the candy industry always does real good during bad times. Mostly because it is a cheap pleasure that everyone can enjoy.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Lord Elwrind
David2074

As a person who has a heart condition, I have to disagree with you on the coconut water. More potassium per serving than two bananas is very good for me. And tennis players prefer it over Gatorade. Over-priced, consider where it comes from and how it gets here.

On to the topic:
the candy industry always does real good during bad times. Mostly because it is a cheap pleasure that everyone can enjoy.

I fail to understand how your need for potassium disproves my comment that coconut water is an overpriced way to obtain it. There are many inexpensive ways to get potassium including much more economically priced supplements. I never said coconut water was unhealthy, only that it is overpriced and over hyped.

Yes to the candy for the same reasons as other 'pleasure diversions'.
A sort of related non-food example is stuff you see at garage sales. Sometimes you can be at a garage sale where the people are obviously rather poor but they still have extra CDs, DVDs and/or video games they are selling off. They find money for those things because they provide an escape and are often affordable when purchased a little at a time. Or so it seems to me anyway. I do a lot of garage saling and over time my observation is more DVDs for sale by folks who look like they are hurting for money than by folks that seem better established.

Nyadriel's King

Apocalyptic Shapeshifter

49,200 Points
  • Brick Breaker 50
  • Waffles! 25
David2074
Lord Elwrind
David2074

On to the topic:

I fail to understand how your need for potassium disproves my comment that coconut water is an overpriced way to obtain it. There are many inexpensive ways to get potassium including much more economically priced supplements. I never said coconut water was unhealthy, only that it is overpriced and over hyped.

A sort of related non-food example is stuff you see at garage sales. Sometimes you can be at a garage sale where the people are obviously rather poor but they still have extra CDs, DVDs and/or video games they are selling off. They find money for those things because they provide an escape and are often affordable when purchased a little at a time. Or so it seems to me anyway. I do a lot of garage saling and over time my observation is more DVDs for sale by folks who look like they are hurting for money than by folks that seem better established.

Coconut water:
It does appear to be over-priced. Over-hyped? No more so than Gatorade and these other 'sports drinks'.
As for the potassium, it's an easy way to get a good source when you need a good boost. Particularly on a hot day when you need fluids the most. It's better than swallowing those damned horse pills. Trust me. Easier to digest than those pills too. I should know.

True. Everybody loves a good movie or a good video game. Like the candy and the cheese (Mac n' Cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches are a comfort foods), use of these to combat depression (as you said, diversions to forget our troubles).

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Lord Elwrind
It's better than swallowing those damned horse pills. Trust me. Easier to digest than those pills too. I should know.

Maybe our bodies differ. I actually do take potassium supplements and I don't have any trouble swallowing them. They are roughly the size of an ibuprofin. I don't have trouble digesting them either but if I did that would certainly add to the 'worth it' factor of buying another source.

And yes to many other sports drinks being over hyped. Those vitamin waters make me laugh. You get more vitamins if you just chew up a kid's chewable vitamin and drink a glass of water. Also much cheaper. Most of that crap started hitting the mainstream market when the public started becoming more aware that maybe tons of carbonated sugar water is bad for you. If you bother reading most of it is put out by the same companies that make the sodas. Putting a small amount of B-12 or ginsing into a bottle of sugar water lets them sell it as a 'health' drink.

I take pills both ways (water and food) but most of the time I find they go down easier if I chew up some food until I am ready to swallow it, then mix the pills in inside my mouth and swallow. The 'food coating' helps them not stick in my throat the way some pills can with water.

Friendly Wench

Dammnit you ; I love all of those things. emotion_donotwant
** Actually all of them except Kombucha. ******** kombucha emotion_8c

Fashionable Hunter

O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X

Yeah, I like everything on the list except the stuff I've never tried. Like kombucha and truffle.

But I'm one of those foodies that real chefs hate because I'm not as interested in the cooking as I am in the history and the science behind it and what it tastes like, so whaterr' xd

Friendly Wench

kakteed
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X

Yeah, I like everything on the list except the stuff I've never tried. Like kombucha and truffle.

But I'm one of those foodies that real chefs hate because I'm not as interested in the cooking as I am in the history and the science behind it and what it tastes like, so whaterr' xd

Ech, avoid kombucha/scoby like the friggin plague. It tastes like bubbly mushroomy vinegar gone bad. So gross, and it causes headaches. gonk Truffle is tasty-ish though P:
Haha, we have that in common! I'm friends with a ton of chefs and whenever they cook they try and talk about their techniques and all I can ever think is "Mmmm tasty food tasty food P:" Though as for the history and science I don't care. I just like eating. TT w TT

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Why does anyone drink kombucha? Ugh. When my homemade iced tea starts to get cloudy and fermented like that, I pour it down the drain. Apparently it tastes like vinegar, which is a food-grade liquid but not, as far as I am concerned, a beverage.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
David2074

Personally I think coconut water is currently over priced and over hyped. You get electrolytes and sugar but you can get those from other sources for less money.
I've been drinking it for years and am appalled by the prices these American companies charge. I get Goya brand or one from Thailand whose name I'm not sure of (because I can't read Thai) and they cost half the price of the newer brands. I've heard they taste different, too, but cannot verify that.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Lord Elwrind
David2074
Lord Elwrind
David2074

On to the topic:

Coconut water:
It does appear to be over-priced. Over-hyped? No more so than Gatorade and these other 'sports drinks'.
As for the potassium, it's an easy way to get a good source when you need a good boost. Particularly on a hot day when you need fluids the most. It's better than swallowing those damned horse pills. Trust me. Easier to digest than those pills too. I should know.

True. Everybody loves a good movie or a good video game. Like the candy and the cheese (Mac n' Cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches are a comfort foods), use of these to combat depression (as you said, diversions to forget our troubles).
Instead of pills, try potassium chloride, aka potassium salt or K-salt. It costs only a little more than regular salt and is much easier to swallow than pills.

Fashionable Hunter

O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X
kakteed
O_o-Dimensia_Juice-x_X

Ech, avoid kombucha/scoby like the friggin plague. It tastes like bubbly mushroomy vinegar gone bad. So gross, and it causes headaches. gonk Truffle is tasty-ish though P:
Haha, we have that in common! I'm friends with a ton of chefs and whenever they cook they try and talk about their techniques and all I can ever think is "Mmmm tasty food tasty food P:" Though as for the history and science I don't care. I just like eating. TT w TT

xd Okay, if I'm ever offered any, I'll only take a sip then. Yay, I'm looking forward to that!

I have one friend who's studying to become a chef and she'll start going off into how difficult cooking certain things are and all I can thinks is "...So...dericious?"

But I like reading books like Near A Thousand Tables and The Fortune Cookie Chronicles and Salt. Those are basically my favorite books emotion_awesome

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Ratttking
David2074

Personally I think coconut water is currently over priced and over hyped. You get electrolytes and sugar but you can get those from other sources for less money.
I've been drinking it for years and am appalled by the prices these American companies charge. I get Goya brand or one from Thailand whose name I'm not sure of (because I can't read Thai) and they cost half the price of the newer brands. I've heard they taste different, too, but cannot verify that.

I know I'm being cynical but my first thought about that was, "Well, if it's like so many other Asian vs American things the American version has more sugar in it". Maybe not really but my mind just went to how many Asian deserts are more subtly sweet than American deserts.

I tried the canned coconut water with the little chunks in it from the local Asian grocery store. The flavor was okay but I found I did not like the chunks. They would sort of surprise me and my brain would think 'pollutant' rather than 'treat'. I use coconut milk in some different dishes and I'm bummed at how that has more than doubled in price in the past year or so.

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
NO to Kombucha and truffles (and caviar) User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The rest of it: YES please! A grilled cheese and ham sandwich using Parma ham and gruyere cheese on artisan bread.......

*had 3-minute ramen noodles for dinner*

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces