Cute Spirit

15,700 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Hero 100
Shock Video: California Police Break Into Home, Taze Victims
Source

Quote:
In perhaps one of the most shocking police brutality videos of recent years, police in Cotati, California respond to a call about “domestic violence” by kicking down the door of a man’s home before tazing him and his wife as they scream in agony.

Link to video

The video begins with the cops standing on the man’s front lawn looking in through the window having responded to a report of a noise disturbance called in by neighbors. Despite the fact that the couple are obviously not at loggerheads and no harm is coming to anybody, the police announce that they are going to break into the house without a warrant.

“Why are you guys not coming out?,” asks one of the officers, bemused at the fact that someone wouldn’t follow orders.

“Because we don’t live in a police state, sir. Martial law has not been established in this country,” responds the homeowner.

The officer then orders the couple to get down on the ground and put their hands behind their backs, adding, “We’re gonna kick in the door.”

The cops kick down the door and enter the home with guns drawn as the homeowner exclaims, “You have no right to be in here!”

Despite the fact that the woman clearly has her hands in the air, a cop tazes her as she screams out in pain. The man is then also tazed.

The video clip has caused shockwaves across the Internet and has already gone viral along with an outpouring of support for the family.

However, others have expressed support for the police, claiming that the cops couldn’t see the children at the home and therefore didn’t know that they weren’t in danger. Under this scenario, the 4th amendment and probable cause are non-existent and the police can just break into your house and attack you in the name of “protecting the children” at any time.

“The police are allowed to kick in your door when they request you come outside to talk and you refuse and they were called to the residence because of domestic abuse,” wrote one respondent.
In reality, under Florida v. J.L. (March 28, 2000), “the U.S. Supreme Court affirmed that anonymous tips are not sufficient grounds to constitute probable cause for a search. Judge Ginsburg, writing for the Supreme Court, stated, “Such an exception would enable any person seeking to harass another to set in motion an intrusive, embarrassing police search of the targeted person simply by placing an anonymous call.…”

“Who is the victim in this case? It’s not the children, who were peacefully playing in the front yard and in the home. And neither homeowner had raised a hand to the other,” writes Mac Slavo.

“In fact, the victims were the residents of the home, whose private property had been violated. The individual recording the video was reportedly tazed, detained and then arrested by police. For what?”

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
wow.

so, I guess these are the same police we're supposed to entrust our safety to?

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
also? you should be aware: you linked to Alex Jones, so . . . your argument is invalid.

see, if Alex Jones says something, it's automatically wrong. it doesn't matter if it was right before he said it, the fact that he said it makes it wrong. retroactively, if need be.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Zombie Ovaries
Keltoi Samurai
also? you should be aware: you linked to Alex Jones, so . . . your argument is invalid.

see, if Alex Jones says something, it's automatically wrong. it doesn't matter if it was right before he said it, the fact that he said it makes it wrong. retroactively, if need be.

Guess I should have chose another source then... the other sources practically stay the same thing anyways..

doesn't matter.

it ceased to be true the moment Alex Jones said it. it's an Alex Jones issue, now, which means it's a non-issue that only gun-toting right-winger conspiracy whack-a-moles would care about.

anything Alex Jones says, anything he does, any actions he takes or beliefs that he holds, it doesn't matter what the reasons are, they are the opposite of what is right. if he is against police brutality, we should be in favor of it. if he says "white" we should all say "black." if he breathes oxygen, we should all breathe helium, because oxygen is wrong by virtue of being what he breathes.

Fashionable Sex Symbol

Keltoi Samurai
wow.

That's one funny joke.

Dangerous Citizen

6,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Guildmember 100
Regardless of whether it is true or not. You would think the police would be more leery of the ever watchful eye of cameras. Especially live broadcasting models.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I don't know about the tazing part, but I thought when an officer is called about a domestic violence problem he or she must get into the home. Maybe I was wrong.

Aged Lunatic

Keltoi Samurai
Zombie Ovaries
Keltoi Samurai

Guess I should have chose another source then... the other sources practically stay the same thing anyways..

doesn't matter.

it ceased to be true the moment Alex Jones said it. it's an Alex Jones issue, now, which means it's a non-issue that only gun-toting right-winger conspiracy whack-a-moles would care about.

anything Alex Jones says, anything he does, any actions he takes or beliefs that he holds, it doesn't matter what the reasons are, they are the opposite of what is right. if he is against police brutality, we should be in favor of it. if he says "white" we should all say "black." if he breathes oxygen, we should all breathe helium, because oxygen is wrong by virtue of being what he breathes.

Okay okay okay okay okay, enough with the sarcasm drippings, you made your point.

And Alex Jones does make sense occasionally when he can hold back the gay hate....
Police State 2013

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Stand up to the police and don't let them walk over you... And they ******** do this. This is why I don't feel bad when I hear about cops like this later being killed in the line of duty.
Keltoi Samurai

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
The tasing seems like overkill but I believe the cops did have a right to enter the home to make sure everyone is okay. There have been many cases where one or more people in the home were not okay but afraid to say so due to threats from the one in control. Just because they were not physically hitting each other when the cops showed up does not mean the didn't. Or that they might not have been arguing over the dead boyfriend or child in the other room. Stranger s**t has happened.

Later in the article they blah-blah about anonymous 911 calls not being grounds for entry but in the first part of the article it does not sound like the call was anonymous. It says it was called in by the neighbors.

IMO both parties (cops and home owners) could have acted more reasonably. I've seen it on COPS -
Dysfunctional Couple (Opens the door and talks to the cops)
Cop : "blah blah we received a complaint..."
Dysfunctional Couple: "Yes officer we are working through some stuff in our marriage"
Cop: (verifies everyone is okay and no one is actually getting physcial)
"Okay, you guys have a good evening and remember to keep it down so we don't have to come back."
DC: "Yes officer. Goodnight"
And then the cops drive away and the couple probably argue a bit over who was the loudest and who called the cops on them but nobody gets tazed and no doors get kicked in and the cops were allowed to make sure everyone was all right.

Dedicated Student

I don't know about the law. Maybe they did have the right to bust down the door, but the woman clearly had her hands up and the cop from what I saw grabbed her. The cop then proceeded to taze her for what reason?

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
Keltoi Samurai
wow.

no. no they're not. the police you're supposed to entrust your safety to aren't in the video.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff