Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
The idea of a shark attacking someone in the ocean is scary enough, but this week, a 7-year-old boy was bitten by one of these fearsome fish in a lake.

The boy was swimming in Lake Pontchartrain in Louisiana, when something bumped into him in the water and chomped down on his foot, USA Today reported. The bite's appearance suggests it was probably a bull shark measuring about 5 feet (1.5 meters) long, experts say. The boy is expected to recover from the incident.

While it may seem unusual for a shark to turn up in this part of Louisiana, Lake Pontchartrain isn't strictly a lake — it's an estuary, a coastal body of brackish water connected by rivers or streams to the open ocean. The lake is connected to the Gulf of Mexico by the Mississippi River.

Read full article here
how did the shark get in there?

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
DarkStorm333

We're ******** with the eco system, plus nature is changing rapidly. They're looking for new homes and a lot of oceanic creatures (and a ton of invasive species) are adapting to the colder, salt-less waters and searching them.

There's a breed of piranha that's making its way up the lakes and rivers of the midwest. They caught some in a lake that has a hidden hot spring in one of its corners and they sit there in winter to survive, but they're adapting enough to swim in the colder parts of that specific lake.

Eloquent Lunatic

10,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
There's actually nothing shocking about this at all, after looking at where the lake is located in relation to the ocean.

Bull Sharks can live in both fresh water and salt water and tend to prefer warmer shallow waters, so they often wander up rivers and whatnot. It's certainly not something you would want to know when you're going on a lake trip, but it's not by any means uncommon.

Quote:
They're looking for new homes and a lot of oceanic creatures (and a ton of invasive species) are adapting to the colder, salt-less waters and searching them.
Err....I suppose, but not in this case. As far as I know Bull Sharks have always been this way.

Sweet Humorist

15,425 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Informer 100
not surprising there is such a thing as fresh water sharks.
its gonna be sharknight every night! pirate

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
DropShot3

There are some lakes out there that have connection to the ocean; since lakes are fresh water, the only shark that can transfer itself from salt water (the ocean) to fresh water (lakes) is a Bull Shark. They are not true fresh water sharks though.

If it's a shark attack in a lake, then it is most likely a bull shark since that shark is the only shark I know that bumps its victims before biting them.

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
Shaman Slate

Agreed! There are also fresh-water dolphins.

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
Alexander J Luthor
DarkStorm333

We're ******** with the eco system, plus nature is changing rapidly. They're looking for new homes and a lot of oceanic creatures (and a ton of invasive species) are adapting to the colder, salt-less waters and searching them.

There's a breed of piranha that's making its way up the lakes and rivers of the midwest. They caught some in a lake that has a hidden hot spring in one of its corners and they sit there in winter to survive, but they're adapting enough to swim in the colder parts of that specific lake.

I adore this point so flipping much. emotion_brofist You make me smile everyday when I see your posts whee
DropShot3
bull sharks frequently swim into estuaries.

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

You never know what is really beneath the waters.<.<

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
guy30
DropShot3
bull sharks frequently swim into estuaries.
Yup. One of the few sharks that can stand going into water where the salination is diluted. They'll swim up rivers sometimes, too. They go where they can get food and where they can have their pups in safety away from other sharks.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Shaman Slate

They aren't freshwater sharks, they are merely one of the few breeds of shark that can transition into fresher waters. They do have to return to the ocean, though.

Precious Cutie-Pie

19,325 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
bull sharks are becoming more able to adapt into fresh water without any problems.... so oceans aren't the only place anymore. its creepy gonk

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
mandapanda412
bull sharks are becoming more able to adapt into fresh water without any problems.... so oceans aren't the only place anymore. its creepy gonk
gonk Guess I'll be sticking to man made lakes, then. Yikes. Though I've been in the ocean with a 5ft. bull shark not 6 feet away from me, what am I freaking out for... sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff