Welcome to Gaia! ::

Vicious Reveler

Source with picture, video
Yesterday Discover Magazine reported that Russian scientists discovered an “unclassified” form of life after analyzing water samples from an ancient lake. The samples originated from lake Vostok located about two miles below the Antarctic ice sheet.

The news was relayed via the Russian website RIA Novosti. Researchers found seven samples of the same never before encountered species of bacteria. It's DNA never matched any that of any known organisms more than 86%. Organisms that match known DNA at any percentage below 90% indicate a separate species. After building a phylogentic tree, researchers noted that the bacteria defies all of the main categories for its taxonomic domain.

“After excluding all known contaminants... we discovered bacterial DNA that does not match any known species listed in global databanks. We call it unidentified and 'unclassified' life,” said a researcher, Sergeu Bulat, from the Laboratory of Eukaryote Genetics at the St. Petersburg Nuclear Physics Institute.

Bulat eagerly awaits the arrival of more samples from Lake Vostok, currently en route by ship, for more conclusive data. Last year, studies from the oxygen concentrated lake found no lifeforms, leading some to suspect the lake was uninhabitable.

Drilling through the ice to Lake Vostok first began in 1989, and took 23 years to complete. The painstaking pace prevented contamination from the ice above. Scientists believe that the lake could have been trapped as many as 17 million years ago.

Greedy Consumer

Maybe its primitive bacteria that would have wound up extinct if it werent for freezing in the lake.

Benevolent Prophet

9,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
The buzz around certain conspiracy websites for years was partially confirmed after years of politics delaying the final drilling effort. I really hope the bacteria doesn't kill us all. At least it didn't turn out to be a block of ice as some thought it might be. I'm curious to find out what keeps the lake thawed.

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
I'm looking forward to more details about what it is. It sounds pretty exciting!

Dedicated Seeker

9,950 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Member 100
Fascinating as this is, I can't help but think of The Andromeda Strain and The Thing xd

Apocalyptic Smoker

They need to leave the Elder Gods be. Else they awaken he who slumbers in the great deep.

Devoted Flatterer

8,500 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
Am I the only one who thought that this was just going to be another Lochness Monster sighting...?

This sounds fascinating! Millions of years later we are still discovering new forms of life.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Cannot wait for an update on this story!

Greedy Explorer

oooh i've seen this at bbc world news/aljazeera news last night. can't wait for more details about it

Xonked's Senpai

Cat

19,925 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Bookworm 100
I'm not surprised they found something new. An area sealed up for years, isolated from the rest of the world. Sure to be mutations or even genes from before humans ever started documenting anything. We'd be fools to think we've discovered everything on this planet.

Fluffy Loiterer

My first thought when I saw the title was "Alieeeeeeeeeeens"

But then again that's always how they get you.

Invisible Gawker

9,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Vampirate Kitsune
I'm looking forward to more details about what it is. It sounds pretty exciting!
unless this bac is going to take out ALL other bacts. and cause a pandemic twisted

Divine Anubutt

27,850 Points
  • Skilled Snowfriend Architect 100
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • WilyTrickster 50
i read this and all i can think of is the waters of mars from doctor who >.>

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
Fluff Mage Kaede