Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Adam Stinnett looks up to his older stepbrother – a soldier in the U.S. Army. So when it came time to get a haircut, the seven-year-old told his mother he wanted a basic military-style cut. And that’s exactly what he got – high and tight – just like his stepbrother.

Adam got his haircut on March 8. On March 9, his mother got a letter from the principal of Bobby Ray Memorial Elementary School in McMinnville, Tennessee.

It seems they were not all that thrilled with the second grader’s new hairdo. The principal told Amy Stinnett that her son’s haircut was distracting – and needed to be fixed.

Amy refused to comply.

The following day, she was summoned to the principal’s office where she was given an ultimatum.

“We were told that we had to either cut his hair or he could not return to school,” she said.

Amy tried to explain to the principal that her son’s haircut was meant to emulate his older brother. But her explanation was dismissed and the principal demanded that the boy’s hair be “in compliance with our rules.”

“I have the utmost respect for the military and its members,” the principal wrote in an email to Amy. “However, we are not a military school and the boy’s haircut is against our rules.”

She tried to reason with the principal – but it was a lost cause. So Amy complied with the school’s demands.

“In order to fix the high and tight, I had to shave his head – like he has no hair,” she told me.

Apparently the principal at Bobby Ray Elementary School doesn’t seem to think a bald-headed second grader is going to cause a distraction.

But Amy also did something else – she contacted the Southern Standard newspaper. And as it turned out – the pen really is mightier than the clippers.

“Military hair cut deemed distracting by Bobby Ray Elementary” was the headline – and boy did it create some controversy around McMinnville.

“They shamed my son and they shamed a lot of military people – that’s how I feel about it,” Amy said. She also would like the school to apologize to her son.

The Warren County School District responded to the newspaper story with a four-paragraph statement telling folks they could not comment on the incident or the investigation – on the advice of their attorneys.

“This is an internal school matter and the administration of the school district has been advised to address it as such from this point forward,” the statement read.

While the district does not have a policy about hair styles, individual schools are given authority to make such decisions.

“Neither Bobby Ray Memorial Elementary, nor any school in Warren County School District, prohibits military haircuts,” the statement declares.

Well, someone at the district office might want to clue in the principal -- because according to her email – military style haircuts are clearly against the rules.

It’s a pretty sad state of affairs in McMinnville – especially when you take into account that Bobby Ray Memorial Elementary School is named after a local war hero.

Navy Corpsman David Robert “Bobby” Ray was killed in action during the Vietnam War. His final act of heroism was to use his body to shield a Marine from a grenade. The Marine survived. Ray did not. He was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor.

“We are extremely proud that Bobby Ray Memorial Elementary was named in honor of a true American hero,” the school district stated.

And yet, they chose to shame a seven-year-old boy who wanted to look like a soldier. That school district doesn’t know the first thing about honor.

Military

Lonely Wolf

Well, I can understand how something "different" like the child's haircut would be distracting to a classroom full of 6 and 7 year olds. Anything could distract a child at that age. However, I do think that the solution was a tad bit excessive. They could've given it a trial run and observed how the rest of the class reacted to it. Then, if it was a problem, the teacher could've assessed possible solutions.
There is nothing distracting about a military haircut. its supposed to be the exact opposite of distracting, and that is why soldiers get it. My cousin is a marine, and his son gets his hair cut like this. high and tight, ever since he was like 4. he is now 10.
This sounds like someone pushing an agenda, to me anyway.
Its an extremely basic haircut so I really don't see how it could cause distraction, unless the child's hair beforehand was extremely different, like shaggy emo hair, so it was a big change that was easily noticed.

Also please pardon typos. on a cellphone.

Aged Fox

Why do schools actually think that children care what hairstyle another student has? I never went to a school that had rules on hair and ya know what? No one cared about any particular kid's hair. It just seems really idiotic to me.
american school being authoritarian as they tend to be.
meanwhile standards and test scores continue to reach new lows.

Super Streaker

9,175 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
rofl
Do we have to ******** hammer it into these assholes's heads that no student gives a s**t about another person's hair. They might be like "FRESHCUT" or "Oooh nice hair" and then move the ******** on with their lives. If that hair is distracting, I wonder what all the other kids's hair looks like. rolleyes

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
How in the world is a high-and-tight considered "distracting?"

More importantly, what is it about a high-and-tight that's inherently more distracting than a shaved head?

Meanwhile, I keep seeing boys his age running around with mohawks or Cousin It hair, and these styles are somehow NOT a distraction?

Angelic Ladykiller

9,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
It was over this haircut style

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Where I grew up, about 75% of the male student body wore that hairstyle (in a school of nearly 4000 students)

Profitable Gatekeeper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Can they put this much effort into the bullying issue?

Invisible Player

These kinds of stories baffle me. I always feel like we aren't getting the full story. Surely a military haircut isn't the cause of this? Students in my class have mohawks. We have a 5th grader with a Demi Lovato shaved head look going on.

Fluff Saint

15,400 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Pet Lover 100
This is... so dumb... emotion_facepalm

How does the principal even know that it was "distracting". Does he lurk around in the classrooms all day? He sounds like another douche-bag on a power trip. I mean this is just too weird. Do the teachers have so little control that when one child gets a new haircut it causes problems? I mean I don't get this at all. I thought that a military style cut was super common. My hubby gives my son that type of a haircut all the time. It's not cut as close to his head but it's basically the same. I would have taken the suspension and told the principal to suck it. Then I would've taken it to the press and the school board so that he'd look like even more of an a**.

Lonely Browser

aint there more important things to worry about in schools other than a haircut? hell, i wouldnt be surprised if there was a case of a kid being bullied that was back burnered over a fricken HAIRCUT!

Benevolent Sex Symbol

That principle needs to be sacked. What's a kid to think when he's told he's wrong for supporting his family. I think that principle needs to be put through boot camp for a crash course of respect to others. I'm glad the mother went to the newspaper and put them on blast.

Karisa_Wolfgang's Princess

Adorable Sweetheart

?????
It was a common hair cut most boys had in my schools growing up. Not sure how it could be distracting. It's still a common cut I see boys that age have.

Galactic Shapeshifter

The haircut was in no way offensive so I don't even see how this is an argument. Public schools are not there to police what you use as personal representation unless they advocate hurting others or the like.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff