Welcome to Gaia! ::

Apocalyptic Streaker

17,850 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Streaker 200
Masquerade! Paper faces on parade. Masquerade!

Wow. This school has managed to go to the other extreme, and I thought that was not possible. emotion_facepalm Great for teaching sexual education not based on abstinence and for promoting non-"straight" rights, but the means of doing so is horrendous, and that teaching of how a male person can identify a female person as being a "slut"? Wow.

I am hoping Fox News is just spinning this way above and beyond what actually occurred as it usually does, but something tells me they are not being as biased as they normally are.

Hide your face so the world will never find you.
Skeletons On Parade
AloysiusWeasley
Now HERE is something to get up in arms about. Sex ed (the real kind, not the fake abstinence-only kind) is a perfectly acceptable and reasonable part of the curriculum in this age. This s**t is not, especially not in middle school. Teaching them about pansexuals? Yea, how many parents want to have to explain why the school is telling the kids it's okay to ******** everything that moves? Also, those lesbian kisses are a way to spread herpes simplex and other nasty things. Sue sue sue!

They can go take their abnormal sexuality and shove it where they probably like it.

Pansexuality is about ******** anything that moves? I must be doing it wrong, then, because I thought it was about being able to feel attracted to someone regardless of sex or gender identity.

I don't think this is the right thing for schools to be forcing on their students, especially without prior consent from the parents or the students themselves. It's not something they should have even entertained the idea of allowing in the first place.

They didn't go to the kids parents because they're teaching kids to disobey their parents, that is all schools do anymore.

Turn kids away from their parents. School don't teach s**t nowadays.
Brilwen
Skeletons On Parade
AloysiusWeasley
Now HERE is something to get up in arms about. Sex ed (the real kind, not the fake abstinence-only kind) is a perfectly acceptable and reasonable part of the curriculum in this age. This s**t is not, especially not in middle school. Teaching them about pansexuals? Yea, how many parents want to have to explain why the school is telling the kids it's okay to ******** everything that moves? Also, those lesbian kisses are a way to spread herpes simplex and other nasty things. Sue sue sue!

They can go take their abnormal sexuality and shove it where they probably like it.

Pansexuality is about ******** anything that moves? I must be doing it wrong, then, because I thought it was about being able to feel attracted to someone regardless of sex or gender identity.

I don't think this is the right thing for schools to be forcing on their students, especially without prior consent from the parents or the students themselves. It's not something they should have even entertained the idea of allowing in the first place.

They didn't go to the kids parents because they're teaching kids to disobey their parents, that is all schools do anymore.

I thought all schools did anymore was turn kids into mindless drones who never question authority. Damn. Now I have to update my conspiracy theories.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
AloysiusWeasley

THIS
As I read the article I was thinking, This was health class. Moral issues aside did they bother teaching the girls the various diseases they could potentially catch by swapping saliva?
There is a difference between teaching tolerance of different orientations and making kids act out those orientations.

Conservative Victory

Its A Crystal
Prince Ikari
Stories like this one are EXACTLY why when I have kids I want to place them in a private academy, particularly a Christian one. The public education system in this country, along with all of the colleges and universities are so morally deplorable. This story is disgusting! These types of incidents are the reason why you cannot actually have sexual education. Especially when you are going to tell girls to make out with one another, for boys to determine whether or not the girls are sluts, telling middle school students that having sex at such a young age is alright, and bringing up terms like "pansexual" and "genderqueer". If anything this course was encouraging young teens to be promiscuous and essentially bully the ones who were overly promiscuous. The fact that those course was taught by college students however does not surprise me. People of our generation (millennials) are the absolute worst when it comes to sex and are the example of what not to do when you reach this age.

While I agree with your sentiment towards the Public School system, I would hardly be any more inclined to send my child to a Private Christian academy. The extreme we see in public schools is apaulling, but going to the opposite extreme is hardly better. I don't care to have my child attend lessons that will essentially amount to....

I intend to send my child to a Private Academy which I will thoroughly investigate before hand to make sure it isn't run by mentally stunted idiots who happen to fall on either side of the spectrum. One that focuses on Academics, you know, the purpose to a school. I intend to handle Morality and Spirituality based education myself, not hand it over to some left-wing twit who is going to tell them to always carry a condom around in case they want to ******** (At the age of 14) or a right-wing twit who is going to teach them that if they ever so much as think a lustful thought, they will get AIDs, die and go to hell.

As for colleges and universities, I find they aren't that bad. Then again, I'm Canadian and perhaps our system is simply better than yours in that sense?

Sure we have idiots in the student body (Such as the ones who tore down Free Speech walls because they might be used to offend people!) but then I ask you: Are you going to put your kid in a magical bubble where they never have to deal with idiots? I think by University an intelligent, well raised child will be ready to push back against the idiots. Best that they deal with it first in the relatively sheltered world of a University Campus, than in the harsher, real world.

For the administration, I found they were always more concerned with money than with politics, and for the professors, I found as long as you could defend your point of view they didn't care what it was (And I would hardly mind my kid dropping classes taught by the other sort.)

I mean, that is key. I still remeber having classes with idiots like that. Very political, had a professor that held an opposing point of view, voiced their alternate opinions in lectures, couldn't defend them for s**t, and went on tirades in private about how the professor was an evil (Insert spectrum)-winger, even though they weren't. They simply expected you to support your points with more than "WELL EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT, GUH!"

Actually I do not consider a private Christian academy going to the extreme. I would rather my children fear going to Hell for engaging in sexual activity than going to a school and being told it is perfectly acceptable at any age. I already have a rather conservative outlook towards sexuality so I do want my children scared that they will be punished for engaging in any pre-marital or underage sex. Especially homosexual sex. The public education system is overrun with leftists who do everything in their power to indoctrinate our children. I want my children growing up with both a strong education and a strong set of morals. The college and university system at least in the United States is basically nothing but incidents like these. Where some colleges and universities were actually hosting sex parties and the like. The professors at most major ones were your radical bomb-throwers from the 1960s and 70s. They will come down hard on students who share conservative beliefs trust me. I had to sit in a class one time that was not even related to any social science and listen to my professor bad mouth people with my point of view. I would have reported it to the administrators but they are as corrupt as the professors. I can withstand the barrage but children are so impressionable that I worry about these idiots teaching my children views contrary to the ones I am planning on instilling in them. It makes me uncomfortable. There are school districts out there more extreme than this. Ones that will give children as early as 5 years of age condoms and birth control and take kids to have abortions without their parents knowing about it.

aaaaand this is why i want to homeschool my son. -__-
Brilwen
Skeletons On Parade
AloysiusWeasley

Neither do parents. All adults are failing children now a days no matter if they are from the school or from the home. Kids just aren't being taught what they need to know about the world from anywhere. They have to find out all that information on their own. Is it really surprising that there are so many 20 year olds in debt when we're not taught in school how to balance a checkbook or budget money and we see our parents just swiping their cards over and over again without a care and without teaching them lessons on money?

Moonlight Gekko

7,900 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hunter 50
This article reeks of a one-sided over dramatised reaction. It doesn't exactly portray a fair story and you can't really take a kids explanation of the purpose of the curriculum; as every student will have a dif opinion of what was going on.

Do all parents in America run to their favourite news programme when their kid comes home whining from school?
Prince Ikari
Its A Crystal
Prince Ikari
Stories like this one are EXACTLY why when I have kids I want to place them in a private academy, particularly a Christian one. The public education system in this country, along with all of the colleges and universities are so morally deplorable. This story is disgusting! These types of incidents are the reason why you cannot actually have sexual education. Especially when you are going to tell girls to make out with one another, for boys to determine whether or not the girls are sluts, telling middle school students that having sex at such a young age is alright, and bringing up terms like "pansexual" and "genderqueer". If anything this course was encouraging young teens to be promiscuous and essentially bully the ones who were overly promiscuous. The fact that those course was taught by college students however does not surprise me. People of our generation (millennials) are the absolute worst when it comes to sex and are the example of what not to do when you reach this age.

While I agree with your sentiment towards the Public School system, I would hardly be any more inclined to send my child to a Private Christian academy. The extreme we see in public schools is apaulling, but going to the opposite extreme is hardly better. I don't care to have my child attend lessons that will essentially amount to....

I intend to send my child to a Private Academy which I will thoroughly investigate before hand to make sure it isn't run by mentally stunted idiots who happen to fall on either side of the spectrum. One that focuses on Academics, you know, the purpose to a school. I intend to handle Morality and Spirituality based education myself, not hand it over to some left-wing twit who is going to tell them to always carry a condom around in case they want to ******** (At the age of 14) or a right-wing twit who is going to teach them that if they ever so much as think a lustful thought, they will get AIDs, die and go to hell.

As for colleges and universities, I find they aren't that bad. Then again, I'm Canadian and perhaps our system is simply better than yours in that sense?

Sure we have idiots in the student body (Such as the ones who tore down Free Speech walls because they might be used to offend people!) but then I ask you: Are you going to put your kid in a magical bubble where they never have to deal with idiots? I think by University an intelligent, well raised child will be ready to push back against the idiots. Best that they deal with it first in the relatively sheltered world of a University Campus, than in the harsher, real world.

For the administration, I found they were always more concerned with money than with politics, and for the professors, I found as long as you could defend your point of view they didn't care what it was (And I would hardly mind my kid dropping classes taught by the other sort.)

I mean, that is key. I still remeber having classes with idiots like that. Very political, had a professor that held an opposing point of view, voiced their alternate opinions in lectures, couldn't defend them for s**t, and went on tirades in private about how the professor was an evil (Insert spectrum)-winger, even though they weren't. They simply expected you to support your points with more than "WELL EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT, GUH!"

Actually I do not consider a private Christian academy going to the extreme. I would rather my children fear going to Hell for engaging in sexual activity than going to a school and being told it is perfectly acceptable at any age. I already have a rather conservative outlook towards sexuality so I do want my children scared that they will be punished for engaging in any pre-marital or underage sex. Especially homosexual sex. The public education system is overrun with leftists who do everything in their power to indoctrinate our children. I want my children growing up with both a strong education and a strong set of morals. The college and university system at least in the United States is basically nothing but incidents like these. Where some colleges and universities were actually hosting sex parties and the like. The professors at most major ones were your radical bomb-throwers from the 1960s and 70s. They will come down hard on students who share conservative beliefs trust me. I had to sit in a class one time that was not even related to any social science and listen to my professor bad mouth people with my point of view. I would have reported it to the administrators but they are as corrupt as the professors. I can withstand the barrage but children are so impressionable that I worry about these idiots teaching my children views contrary to the ones I am planning on instilling in them. It makes me uncomfortable. There are school districts out there more extreme than this. Ones that will give children as early as 5 years of age condoms and birth control and take kids to have abortions without their parents knowing about it.

And this is where you and I are at a crossroads. I won't tolerate a supposedly Christian school preaching a perversion of Faith and God . Thus I intend to have nothing to do with them, that breed of Christianity, wherein God is some sort of Machiavellian Prince who believes it is better to be feared than loved.

I intend to enroll my children in a school that will do it's bloody job. Teach them ACADEMICS. Reading, Writing, Arithmetic. That is why I send my children to school. Not to have political propaganda and warped ideals of Christianity that will harm their spiritual development (And it will, I've seen people raised firmly in that sort of atmosphere. They don't have any particular love of God/interest in the Teachings of Christianity. They just pay lip service for fear of punishment if they don't.) shoved at them.

Morality and Spirituality is a job I will handle.

Quote:
The college and university system at least in the United States is basically nothing but incidents like these. Where some colleges and universities were actually hosting sex parties and the like. The professors at most major ones were your radical bomb-throwers from the 1960s and 70s. They will come down hard on students who share conservative beliefs trust me. I had to sit in a class one time that was not even related to any social science and listen to my professor bad mouth people with my point of view.

In my experience, it is quite different, at least in Canada (It may simply have to do with the types of professors at our respective Universities) most every Professor I had, or heard talk of, was typically titled to one side of the political spectrum, but had no issue with your beliefs as long as you could either defend them (Because why should they stomach "X-View is right because because." in an intellectual setting.) or keep them to yourself if you cannot.

And I find that is too often the problem. Lefties with Conservative Professors or Righties with Liberal Professors just sit there, pout, and complain in the shadows about how nasty professors were bad-mouthing their views.

Well did you stand up for them?

I did, quite often in my Academic Career, and the best relationships I had with professors resulted from that act.

The primary idiots are in the student body (Example bellow) and I entirely intend to prepare my children for that sort.

I recall a story about some career-student idiot at Carleton who tore down a Free Speech poster singing "Your rights end where my feelings begin." (Figuratively, that is).

Wealthy Hoarder

Excuse my language here...

but what the ******** hell is wrong with schools these days? That isn't teaching them s**t. That's just showing kids that there isn't any moral values what so ever.

o.<

Fandom Trash

36,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 6 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
This is truly horrible. It almost outright encouraged bullying based on fashion choices and personal decisions, and seemed to imply that having sex at a young age is both safe, and expected. Not to mention humiliated students, and gave parents no choice on whether their child participated int the program or not. Disgusting.

Angelic Streaker

10,050 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Partygoer 500
Some of it sounds ridiculous, but so are school assemblies in general. I remember having to do something similar, people had to volunteer to 'roleplay' dating another person in a scenario that teens might have to face, but it was always straight couples. They're basically doing the same thing, only without discrimination to different orientations. Really? "Oh noo, I'm going to be bullied because people will think I'm gay for having to ask another girl to kiss me." Well good. Then maybe you'll hesitate before bullying someone else for the same thing.

The only thing that confuses me is the part where they teach boys how to 'spot a slut'. What?
This is way past level ridiculous. The school officials should be ashamed.
Shirabelle
"Oh noo, I'm going to be bullied because people will think I'm gay for having to ask another girl to kiss me." Well good. Then maybe you'll hesitate before bullying someone else for the same thing.

What a hateful thing to say. Apparently the emotional anguish suffered by this young person isn't important to you if it prevents her from POSSIBLY bullying another person for being lesbian.

Angelic Streaker

10,050 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Partygoer 500
Prince Ikari
Its A Crystal
Prince Ikari

Ah, the typical God fearing Christian who's only purpose in life is to spew out children and brainwash them into their almighty cult of keeping people silent, dumb, and subservient. What a wonderful life for a child, or shall I say, future ignorant, self-loathing sheep.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff