Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
A school district in Rhode Island has ended the traditional father-daughter dance because the longtime tradition violated the state’s gender discrimination law.

Judith Lundsten, an assistant school superintendent in Cranston, tells Fox News the move came in response to a complaint from a single mother after her daughter wasn’t allowed to attend a father-daughter dance.

The parent felt it was not appropriate and filed a complaint with the ACLU,” she said.

The American Civil Liberties Union sent a letter to the district demanding that all father-daughter and mother-son events be cancelled.

Lundsten said school attorneys found while federal gender discrimination laws exempt such events, Rhode Island’s does not.

“At this point, the law states that we cannot have these gender-specific type activities,” Lundsten told Fox News. “

She said the school district is going to try and work with lawmakers to amend the law – but until that time “We are following the law.”

Lundsten said the ban has caused a bit of controversy in the community.

“The community has a great deal of concern about this issue,” she said. “Certainly I understand that times have changed and people have different feelings about this.”

“I think it’s a shame,” parent Sean Gately told Fox News. “It’s an assault on traditional family values.”

Gately, who is running for state senator, learned of the ban at an open-house for their second-grade son. Another parent noticed the annual father-daughter was not on the calendar.

“For generations we’ve had mother-daughter, father-son events,” he said. “My wife was looking forward to taking our son to the annual mother-son event.”

So Gately decided to start making some telephone calls. He learned that Rhode Island’s law is based on Title IX. That law actually carves out specific exemptions for events like father-daughter dances. However, the Rhode Island general law did not.

And until the law is changed – the dances are banned.

“We do believe that once this happens in Cranston, the ACLU will pursue every other school district in Rhode Island,” he said.

Gately said he’s going to miss those special moments – marked by longstanding memories and pictures.

“Noting made me more satisfied than when I got to pin my daughter’s first corsage on her lapel when she bought a pretty dress,” he said.

“These are important traditions that we have here as a country and as a community,” he added. “The attempt to try and take them away from us is an atrocity.”

But Lundsten said the incident could serve as a learning experience for the community.

“It’s part of having a health debate about our country and how we can do better,” she said.

read on

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
Wow and I immediately thought that the dances got banned because some idiot school staff member thought that it promoted ***** or something completely out there and ridiculous. Although my faith in humanity still decreased because it's actually from a single mom feeling discriminated against, it's not a nose dive that would have occurred otherwise. Just a couple point decrease.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Attack on traditional family values? How the ******** is it traditional family values to treat your daughter like a high school prom date? It's confusing as ********. However, I see nothing wrong with them doing it, but they should let anyone come to have fun, not just those with fathers.
Blood Valkyrie
Attack on traditional family values? How the ******** is it traditional family values to treat your daughter like a high school prom date? It's confusing as ********. However, I see nothing wrong with them doing it, but they should let anyone come to have fun, not just those with fathers.

I disagree. If I'm spending quality time with my dad, that's me and my dad. Not me and my dad and some other kid/s who don't have a dad.

It's selfish and disturbing that a single mother would demand that other children be denied their entertainment just because her child's father isn't able/willing to attend.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Why is it that in some cases *coughs* medical marijuana*coughs* the federal govt jumps in at the drop of a hat to supersede the state law, yet on something as ultimately trivial as a dance the state law is upheld? That woman was a petty little b***h.

Profitable Gaian

8,600 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Petty.... Petty...
Ratttking
Why is it that in some cases *coughs* medical marijuana*coughs* the federal govt jumps in at the drop of a hat to supersede the state law, yet on something as ultimately trivial as a dance the state law is upheld? That woman was a petty little b***h.

Hey! : )

The sad thing about it is that the single mother doesn't understand she really hasn't won or accomplished anything. She's no different than the Grinch Who Stole Christmas. I feel sorry for her because she must harbor strong feelings of inferiority to take this kind of action. "Well, since my kid has no full-time daddy, no need for you kids with daddies to enjoy special events for you and your dad where MY kid gets left out!"

She should be ashamed of herself.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Blood Valkyrie
They don't let just anyone come to a school prom, some schools won't let you bring a date from other schools, some won't let you come alone, some make you buy tickets in advance stating the name of your date and will turn you down at the door if you try to bring someone else. In any case, this is not the prom, it is the father-daughter dance. I'm surprised you've never heard of them.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Bienaimee R
Ratttking

Hey! : )

The sad thing about it is that the single mother doesn't understand she really hasn't won or accomplished anything. She's no different than the Grinch Who Stole Christmas. I feel sorry for her because she must harbor strong feelings of inferiority to take this kind of action. "Well, since my kid has no full-time daddy, no need for you kids with daddies to enjoy special events for you and your dad where MY kid gets left out!"

She should be ashamed of herself.
Hey yourself! emotion_hug How've you been? PM me.

I'm ashamed that she's the same gender as me. I feel kind of bad for the daughter, I'm sure that her classmates will hold this against her...but maybe she shouldn't have whined about it so much.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Hey, complaining mom! This song was written for a mom just like you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtbf9JE13Xw

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Ratttking
Blood Valkyrie
They don't let just anyone come to a school prom, some schools won't let you bring a date from other schools, some won't let you come alone, some make you buy tickets in advance stating the name of your date and will turn you down at the door if you try to bring someone else. In any case, this is not the prom, it is the father-daughter dance. I'm surprised you've never heard of them.

The only father daguther dances I've heard of were the religious ones that obsessed over the daughter's sex life and they creeped me out.

But, I see what you are saying.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Ratttking

Not that I want to defend the attack on legalization but the example you gave was not contradictory.
Federal law says that states can make laws that are MORE restrictive than federal laws but not LESS restrictive.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Blood Valkyrie
Ratttking
Blood Valkyrie

The only father daguther dances I've heard of were the religious ones that obsessed over the daughter's sex life and they creeped me out.

I've never heard of a religious father daughter dance that obsessed over the daughter's sex life.
What religion is doing that?

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
David2074
Blood Valkyrie
Ratttking
Blood Valkyrie

I've never heard of a religious father daughter dance that obsessed over the daughter's sex life.
What religion is doing that?

Some Christians who have special purity balls and have the fathers dress their daughters in white and dance with them and make them promise not to have sex before marriage.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Blood Valkyrie
Some Christians who have special purity balls and have the fathers dress their daughters in white and dance with them and make them promise not to have sex before marriage.

Oh. I've heard of purity rings / vows but not purity balls. I don't find that as creepy as what I was imagining when you said, "obsessed over the daughter's sex life". My only problem with it is if a girl feels forced into making a vow she might not keep. I also wonder how it feels for any girls who have already been having sex before being pressured to take such a vow. I know a couple of girls who were having sex at age 12 - probably before they would be asked to attend such a dance. They were not what you would think of as 'sluts' and were raised in a very conservative home. Hitting their teens and then being asked to take such a vow would have been rather awkward.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff