Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
A baby stolen from her sleeping mother's arms shortly after birth has been found by the family through an astonishing coincidence 17 years later, South African police said Friday.

A 50-year-old woman has been arrested and charged with kidnapping after pupils noticed a remarkable likeness between the 17-year-old and her younger biological sister who started attending the same school this year.

DNA tests have confirmed that the older girl is the daughter of Celeste and Morne Nurse, who was snatched from Groote Schuur hospital as a three-day-old baby named Zephany in April 1997, local media reported.

The parents, who later had three more children, have celebrated Zephany’s birthday every year since she was kidnapped, never giving up hope that their first-born child would come back to them someday, the Cape Argus said.

Zephany grew up with a different name, and a different family, never knowing she was not their real daughter.

But last month her biological sister, Cassidy Nurse, started high school at the same school as Zephany, and fellow pupils noticed a startling resemblance she bore to a final-year student.

When Cassidy told her parents about the girl, they invited her home for a cup of coffee. When they saw the striking resemblance between the girls, they contacted the police.

Police spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel André Traut confirmed that a woman had been arrested. She and her husband, who is also in his fifties, have no other children.

“The suspect is being charged with kidnapping, fraud and contravening sections... of the Children’s Act, in that she fraudulently pretended that she was the biological mother of a child,” Traut said.

“The kidnapped girl has since been placed in the care of the Department of Social Services of the Western Cape Government.”

Without knowing it, the Nurse family had been living within a couple of kilometres of their kidnapped daughter.

Kidnapped

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Why was the kidnapped girl sent to foster care and not returned to her proper family?

Friendly Bunny

5,950 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100
  • Friendly 100
It's good that their daughter was found but I agree with Ratttking, why wasn't the girl returned to her family instead of being placed in foster care? neutral

Conservative Regular

Ratttking
Why was the kidnapped girl sent to foster care and not returned to her proper family?

Why would she want to live with a bunch of strangers who have destroyed her life?

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Texadar
Ratttking

Why would she want to live with a bunch of strangers who have destroyed her life?
The people who 'destroyed' her life are her kidnappers. She belongs with her real parents, not in foster care. Why do you support the kidnappers?

Conservative Regular

Ratttking
Texadar
Ratttking

The people who 'destroyed' her life are her kidnappers. She belongs with her real parents, not in foster care. Why do you support the kidnappers?

I Support the 17 year old

She in foster care because she just found out her entire life as been more or less a lie and there is going to be a lots of counselling involved.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Texadar
Ratttking
Texadar
Ratttking

She in foster care because she just found out her entire life as been more or less a lie and there is going to be a lots of counselling involved.
So? Believe it or not, one can be counseled outside of foster care. Do you have a valid reason why she should not be returned to her real parents or are you just going to continue blithering mindlessly as usual?

Conservative Regular

Ratttking
Texadar
Ratttking
Texadar
Ratttking

So? Believe it or not, one can be counseled outside of foster care. Do you have a valid reason why she should not be returned to her real parents or are you just going to continue blithering mindlessly as usual?

She might not want to live with them
She might want to live with her "dad" who had nothing to do with the kidnapping

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Texadar
Ratttking
Texadar
Ratttking
Texadar
Ratttking

Then she can leave at 18 or whatever the age of majority is in SA.

You mean the guy who did not question when his wife who had not been pregnant suddenly came home with a newborn baby? He's either too stupid to have custody of a child or he was complicit with the kidnapping. I suspect the latter.

Hilarious Puppy

Texadar
Ratttking
Texadar
Ratttking
Texadar
Ratttking

Be careful bud. Rat here is the type that ignores you the second you disagree with any of her opinions. I know because I can only read her comments through you quoting her. And in all honesty, that 17 year old might not want anything to do with her biological family. If she has known absolutely nothing about them until now, then she probably won't accept them with open arms. I know I wouldn't.

Tipsy Smoker

Ember F Strife
Texadar
Ratttking
Texadar
Ratttking

Be careful bud. Rat here is the type that ignores you the second you disagree with any of her opinions. I know because I can only read her comments through you quoting her. And in all honesty, that 17 year old might not want anything to do with her biological family. If she has known absolutely nothing about them until now, then she probably won't accept them with open arms. I know I wouldn't.
No she doesn't. I disagree with her quite often and she has never ignored me.

Hilarious Puppy

Chahklet
Ember F Strife
Texadar
Ratttking
Texadar
Ratttking

Oh I pissed her off quite special then. 'Cuz she ignored me immediately. Hmm... cat_twisted That actually makes me feel even better about it.

Tipsy Smoker

Ember F Strife
Chahklet
Ember F Strife
Texadar
Ratttking

Oh I pissed her off quite special then. 'Cuz she ignored me immediately. Hmm... cat_twisted That actually makes me feel even better about it.
Yes, that's actually pretty crazy. Lol

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Chahklet
Ember F Strife
Chahklet
Ember F Strife
Texadar
Ratttking

Yes, that's actually pretty crazy. Lol
I blocked Ember because her posts are moronic and not worth the space they take up on the page. I often block people who seem irredeemably stupid. You are not stupid and when I disagree with you the discussion that follows holds my interest.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff