Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Lunatic

7,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Market Browser 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
QR codes have been built into tourist spots in the Brazilian city of Rio di Janeiro, as part of plans to help visitors find their way around the city.

The codes are displayed using patterns of small tiles - called mosaics.

Tourists can photograph the mosaic with smartphones or tablets.

An app then takes them to a website with lots of information, including maps and things to see and do.

The city, which will be hosting the next Olympic games in 2016, as well as matches at the FIFA World Cup in 2014, will eventually have the codes across 30 of its historic and interesting sites.

Link:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/21276736

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
That is so clever! And after the Games, they'll still be decorative if not otherwise useful.

lol, I can't help imagining what archaeologists will think they are when they uncover them in 5000 years.

Fashionable Lunatic

7,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Market Browser 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
Vampirate Kitsune
That is so clever! And after the Games, they'll still be decorative if not otherwise useful.

lol, I can't help imagining what archaeologists will think they are when they uncover them in 5000 years.

Possibly that we used them as a map or something.

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
13charlie13
Vampirate Kitsune

Maybe a game board? "This one must have been for three players, one in each square corner, and they'd have to reach the maze in the fourth corner....."

Fashionable Lunatic

7,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Market Browser 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
Vampirate Kitsune
13charlie13
Vampirate Kitsune

Maybe a game board? "This one must have been for three players, one in each square corner, and they'd have to reach the maze in the fourth corner....."

I'm 5000 years people will be taller so maybe ermm they thought ermm life size stuff?

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I think that is a creative idea. I don't own a smartphone but I realize these days most folks do.
The mosaics are an interesting way to create the notices but I guess if they are using fixed size tile pieces it would make it easier to be more precise. Computer generated signs would be easier to produce but wouldn't look as nice and probably less durable.

Beloved Phantom

7,150 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Forum Explorer 100
I really like this idea! And the fact that they are taking steps to not making the code stand out in a ugly way is really cool.

If more places started doing this I'd actually think about getting a newer phone.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff