• Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Brandisher 100
Eveille
PantheaMarlon
Eveille
Who exactly does he owe rent to?
Probably the Land owner to his restaurant/government

If he owes the government, he shouldn't pay at all since it is directly their fault that he isn't earning any income.

If its a private owner, why the hell hasn't the government bought the land back instead of wasting money paying rent?

I couldn't agree more.

Aged Lunatic

Yuki_Windira
Good for him and happy birthday to the lady! x3

Should be no reason why he and others should be forced closed because the old farts trying to rule us can't agree on anything!

Beat me to it.
And it's not just people like him who are directly affected. I live near a federal park/battlefield and a lot of the owners of small businesses in the area rely on the people who come see the park/battlefield. Fall, when the leaves turn, is actually one of the busiest seasons for them. It's estimated that the area is losing millions just do to less tourism.

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Eveille
PantheaMarlon
Eveille
PantheaMarlon
Eveille

If he owes the government, he shouldn't pay at all since it is directly their fault that he isn't earning any income.

If its a private owner, why the hell hasn't the government bought the land back instead of wasting money paying rent?
No idea but a woman who runs a Historical farm can't have her October Tours. If she doesn't get tours she'll end up losing the who farm.

******** that, run the tours. Who exactly is going to stop her? The agencies are furloughed....

Or if she'd rather be legal about it she can try to set up a media campaign in the news with a donation site for people to give money. Not sure how well that will turn out though since so many others are in the same boat.
The Veterns Need to go visit her place now!

Demonic Businesswoman

10,825 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
Why the hell not? If he wants to run his restaurant and make a customer happy for their 100th birthday, that's his business.

That is too cool. biggrin Happy Birthday to Mama!

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

Good for him and happy birthday to the lady! x3

Should be no reason why he and others should be forced closed because the old farts trying to rule us can't agree on anything!

Aekea Explorer

12,950 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Noble Shade 100
I say good for him. This shut down is bullshit and it shouldn't come at the cost of small business owners, homeowners, etc.

Ferocious Browser

PantheaMarlon
Eveille
PantheaMarlon
Eveille

No idea but a woman who runs a Historical farm can't have her October Tours. If she doesn't get tours she'll end up losing the who farm.

******** that, run the tours. Who exactly is going to stop her? The agencies are furloughed....

Or if she'd rather be legal about it she can try to set up a media campaign in the news with a donation site for people to give money. Not sure how well that will turn out though since so many others are in the same boat.

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Eveille
PantheaMarlon
Eveille

Ferocious Browser

PantheaMarlon
Eveille

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Eveille

Ferocious Browser

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Some of the places closed we closed for a dumb reason. I mean seriously Last few shutdowns they weren't closed.

Nyadriel's King

Apocalyptic Shapeshifter

49,200 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Brick Breaker 50
  • Waffles! 25
Good for him!

Happy Birthday Antoinette "Mama" Betourne!

Tipsy Gawker

article

Glenn Helseth, owner of Carrot Tree Kitchens in Yorktown, Va., has reopened his restaurant to serve a customer on her 100th birthday and to help his employees, defying a government order to close his doors.

Helseth learned on Oct. 1 that he had just 48 hours to shutter his restaurant, located in a National Parks Service building closed as a result of the government shutdown. He complied briefly, but news of the important birthday of long-time customer Antoinette "Mama" Betourne this Tuesday was one of many reasons he chose to defy the government and reopen.

"Her daughter told me...that 'Mama' was turning 100 on Tuesday and that all she wants to eat is Brunswick stew, a ham biscuit and carrot cake," Helseth told HuffPost. Betourne has celebrated her birthday at the restaurant every year since it opened in 2003, he added.

Helseth says he also reopened out of concern for his employees. "My staff members have been coming to me and asking if they should buy food or medicine," he told HuffPost.

The government shutdown, which began Oct. 1, couldn't have come at a worse time for Helseth. "October is one of the busiest months of the year," Helseth explained, because tourists flock to the area for the anniversary of the American victory in the Battle of Yorktown, which ended the Revolutionary War. And though the building is closed, Helseth still has to pay rent, utilities and insurance, according to Fox News. He owns another restaurant in the national park on Jamestown Island, Va., which remains closed, he said.

Carrot Tree Kitchens isn't the only small business suffering from the government shutdown, which has cost the U.S. economy an estimated $1.6 billion so far. A Philadelphia tavern was also forced to closed because it is located inside a federal building, NBC 10 reported. Park rangers forced an innkeeper in North Carolina to close his doors, as well, according to Fox News. The innkeeper has since reopened, despite the orders.

Helseth says he faces legal consequences, possibly including arrest, but he's determined to stay open as long as possible.

"I'm open, I intend to remain open. If asked to closed, I intend to remain open unless I am physically forced to do so," he told HuffPost. "I owed my customer a meal on her 100th birthday. I have employees. I don’t have any regrets."

Betourne doesn't appear to have any regrets either. "She wiped the bowl clean," Helseth said.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff