Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100

Pit bulls often get an unfair rap for being aggressive, attack dogs. But that's not what Christi Smith, a stay-at-home mother from Minnesota, sees when she looks at her 10-month-old pit bull Tatortot. Smith rescued the dog from euthanasia last week, and soon after, he returned the favor by rescuing her son Peyton, 4, from near-death when the boy's blood sugar dropped to dangerous levels.

“I wouldn’t have known Peyton was in danger, had it not been for Tatortot,” Smith tells Yahoo! Shine. “He absolutely saved my son’s life.”

When Smith, 28, met the dog in late September, she had no idea that he would turn into her family's hero. At the time, Ruff Start Rescue, a non-profit organization that specializes in neglected and abused dogs, had contacted Smith, who had previously fostered eight other pit bulls, and told her that Tatortot (then named Gator) was looking for a home. The group had first taken in the pup back in May, days before Minneapolis Animal Care and Control had planned to euthanize him. “I hesitated to take him in because I thought Tatortot might be too high-energy for my family,” says Smith. However, she instantly connected with the dog and agreed to foster him temporarily. “I renamed him Tatortot because Gator seemed too aggressive," Smith shares, "and I didn’t want people to associate him with anything that bites.”

Last Thursday evening, she was relaxing at home when Tatortot rushed into the room. “He was whining and barking, trying to get my attention,” Smith recounts. “And when he began running back and forth between mine and my son Peyton’s room, I got concerned.” She followed the dog into her son's bedroom where he jumped on the bed and began licking Peyton's face. However, Peyton was unresponsive.

“My heart stopped, I completely panicked,” she says. “Peyton's breathing was shallow and there were long pauses between each breath.” Knowing she could reach the hospital faster than an ambulance would arrive, Smith scooped up her son and got in the car. After they arrived at the hospital, doctors woke Peyton with a shot of adrenaline and diagnosed him with low blood sugar, a possible sign of diabetes.

Pit bulls don’t have a reputation for being gentle giants, much less breeds that can help save lives. However, according to Natalie Zielinski, Behavior Program Manager at the Wisconsin Humane Society, they're simply misunderstood. Pit bulls were bred from heavy, muscular bulldogs, and because of their strength, were often used for 'bull baiting,' a blood sport in England that involved pit bulls antagonizing bulls. "Unfortunately, their reputation as fighters stuck, although research shows that pit bulls are no more aggressive than golden retrievers," Zielinski tells Yahoo Shine.

It's possible that Tatortot, like many other dogs, reacted to an odor produced by Peyton's body when his blood sugar dropped, although according to Zielinski, it's a bit of a mystery how dogs are able to do it.

Since Tatortot's rescue, he's been enjoying his new found fame on Facebook. His page Tatortot, the Amazing Pit Bull has racked up almost 2,000 likes in the past week. And he's in the running for a new job, too. "I plan to train Tatortot to be a medical alert dog or a therapy dog so he can visit the elderly or terminally ill children," says Smith. "Hopefully he can bring new life to people, just as he did with Peyton."

Naming after food

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

emotion_kirakira D'aw,what a loyal puppy dog!

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
Dogs are absolutely amazing animals. heart There's a person in my class who has to take her dog everywhere in case she's about to have a seizure, and he's absolutely wonderful. You can barely tell he's there. The things that they're capable of doing never cease to amaze. I'm sure it'll be much less incredibly once we work out exactly what it is that they're picking up on and how they do it, allowing us to replicate this job with mechanical warning devices, but for now? Incredible. And the fact that they know to alert someone is equally impressive!

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
TAKE IT IN THE FACE, PIT BULL HATERS.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Look at that happy smiley pup. They really live up to their old job as nanny dogs. When trained properly and taught to be gentle around kids, they do a great service in wearing both the child and themselves out. Many are just born gentle. I really wish people would stop blaming breed and start blaming the owners who didn't properly watch or train their dog, or trained them to be vicious. Yeah, the animals used to be bred for aggression, but it's usually towards small animals and other dogs. Any dog needs to be supervised when with children. Anyway, I'm glad he alerted the mother and that the little boy is alright. Hopefully they'll find out what caused the sudden drop in blood sugar, and should it happen again, that Tatertot is nearby to let everyone know so they get help.

Hallowed Humorist

9,950 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Trick or Treat 100
The best dog I've ever owned was a rescued pit. Her previous owners used her as practice for their meaner dogs, she got torn to pieces, was fulled with BBs and pellets from when her last owners shot her.

I figured they tried to get her mean, didn't work so she became chow.
Any breed of dog can be gentle, it depends upon how the owner raises it.

And this brought a smile to my face! That dog truly is a hero!

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Not enough bacon in the world for a great doggie like this, but here's a pile to start with: yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon
What a gorgeous dog and a heart-warming story <3
Great story! I'm glad to see a lot more positive pit bull stories come out within the last 2 or so months alone!

Xonked's Senpai

Cat

19,925 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Bookworm 100
I'm glad to see something positive about them for once instead of hate heart
Go Tatortot!

Sexy Goat

30,600 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Now I really want to adopt one when I live on my own. They sound amazing after this and many other pit bull stories.

Divine Bard

13,025 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
Nice to see an uplifting story in this forum for once. Also, Tatertot deserves ALL the bacon, ever! yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon yum_bacon

Widower

Shy Cat

7,700 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
Dog's are amazing animals that dog is one i would keep forever crying crying crying crying

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff