Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Buried With Full military HonorsUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

A Nevada math teacher killed by a 12-year-old student in a school-yard shooting that also wounded two students was remembered for his character, selfless acts and military service at a memorial service Sunday.

Speakers hailed Michael Landsberry for trying to talk the shooter into turning over the semi-automatic handgun before the youth shot him in the chest as students arrived for class Oct. 21 at Sparks Middle School.

Gov. Brian Sandoval said the 45-year-old former Marine was a devoted husband, father, military member and teacher who made "the ultimate sacrifice so his students might live."

"This tragedy is one we'll all struggle to understand," the governor said. "What is conclusive is his selfless acts to give his life so others might live ... By his actions, he has inspired us all to do all we can for our fellow man."

Brig. Gen. William Burks of the Nevada National Guard said the core values of honor, courage, commitment and integrity that Landsberry learned as a Marine and Nevada Air National Guardsman were "on display in the school yard" when he walked calmly to the shooter and gave other students a chance to flee.

"He still lived his life by his core values, and he certainly did (the day of the shooting)," Burks said. "Once a Marine, always a Marine. By any and all standards, Master Sgt. Michael Landsberry ... was an enormous success."

Hero

Sparks, Nev. middle-schooler Jose Cazares and his mom, Marisela are "forever grateful" for a hero teacher they say saved the boy's life Monday.

A young student opened fire on the school's basketball court Monday, shooting and killing math teacher Mike Landsberry and wounding two students before taking his own life.

"I was hanging out with my friends, and then we heard a loud gunshot and we thought it was firecrackers," Jose Cazares told Matt Lauer on TODAY Tuesday as he recounted the chaos of the scene. "So then we looked back toward where we saw the noise, and we saw the kid pull out his gun and shoot the kid in the arm, so then they started running and I froze because he was aiming his gun right at my chest. And I looked at the gun and my chest like, 'He's going to shoot me.'

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

"I turned around and I ran. I heard a gunshot, and I thought he shot me. Then I looked back, and he shot a kid in his leg, arm and stomach."

Cazares and other witnesses said Landsberry quickly stepped forward and spoke to the boy.

"(Landsberry) was telling him to stop and put the gun down, and then the kid, he yelled out 'No!' yelling at him, and he shot him," Jose said. "(Landsberry) was calm and he was holding out his hand like, 'Put the gun in my hand,' like to just stop."

Damn

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A student at a Nevada middle school opened fire on campus just before the starting bell Monday, wounding two boys and killing a teacher who was trying to protect other children, Sparks police and the victim's family said.

Twenty to thirty students witnessed the tragedy at Sparks Middle School that also left the lone suspected gunman dead, police said.

It's unclear whether the student committed suicide, but authorities say no shots were fired by law enforcement. Police said between 150 and 200 officers, including some from as far as 60 miles away, responded to the shooting.

"In my estimation, he is a hero. ... We do know he was trying to intervene," Reno Deputy Police Chief Tom Robinson said of the teacher who was killed.

Family members identified him as math teacher Michael Landsberry, a 45-year-old military veteran who leaves behind a wife and two stepdaughters

Why did this kid?!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A suspect has been "neutralized" after a shooting Monday at Sparks Middle School, police in Sparks, Nev., said.

The Reno Gazette-Journal, citing Sparks City Manager Shawn Carey, said one student was transported to an area hospital and that the shooter is dead by a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

"We believe the suspect has been neutralized," the Sparks Police Department said on its website, without further details.

Police spokesman Rocky Triplett said students had been evacuated from the school to nearby Agnes Risley Elementary School, the newspaper said. The students from both schools were then being moved to Sparks High School.

The newspaper reported that a 12-year-old boy was shot as classes were starting, and the school was placed on lockdown. There was no information on other possible victims.

The streets around the three schools were ringed with emergency vehicles following the shooting. Parents are being allowed to pick up children, but otherwise streets in the area were closed.

Kid

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Police are responding to reports of a shooting at Sparks Middle School in northern Nevada.

A Sparks police dispatcher says the call came in at 7:16 a.m. Monday.

Sparks police spokesman Rocky Triplett told the Reno Gazette-Journal that a suspect is in custody.

Washoe County School District spokesman Charles Rahn says the middle school and the adjacent Agnes Risley Elementary School have been evacuated to Sparks High School. Rahn said the middle and elementary schools will be closed Monday.

Sparks is a city just east of Reno.

Let hear it

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

I wonder what caused this shooting to happen in the first place....
Here's a random thought. How about we DON'T sensationalize this story and NOT give people the idea that this is a way to solve their problems or go out in a blaze of glory? Call me crazy.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
I wonder if the shooter was a student, disgruntled staff member or random stranger.

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Scarred Sword Heart
I wonder if the shooter was a student, disgruntled staff member or random stranger.
Maybe it was a student.
Shama_okami
Here's a random thought. How about we DON'T sensationalize this story and NOT give people the idea that this is a way to solve their problems or go out in a blaze of glory? Call me crazy.

You can't do that. It's bad for ratings
God Emperor Baldur
Shama_okami

I wonder how much better this country would be if the news was exempt from ratings.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
CNN is reporting that it was a 13 year old student that apparently stole the gun from their parents.

Sounds to me like excessivly poor gun control. Keep that s**t locked up. Gun lockers and lockboxes exist for a reason.
Shama_okami
God Emperor Baldur
Shama_okami

I wonder how much better this country would be if the news was exempt from ratings.

It would be nice if, instead of them giving the names of the killers, they focused on the names of the hero's and the victims, and never mentioned the killer other than in the local paper. Take away the supposed infamy that many of them seem to be seeking.
Does anyone know if he was bullied, abused, or mentally I'll?

lastborntripletmack's Significant Otter

Popular Seeker

37,665 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Simple Romantic 50
Old Blue Collar Joe
Shama_okami
God Emperor Baldur
Shama_okami

It would be nice if, instead of them giving the names of the killers, they focused on the names of the hero's and the victims, and never mentioned the killer other than in the local paper. Take away the supposed infamy that many of them seem to be seeking.
Did they release the name of the killer, because they did release the name of the teacher that tried to take the gun from him.

lastborntripletmack's Significant Otter

Popular Seeker

37,665 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Simple Romantic 50
EGO Proxy
I was wondering if he was bullied as well.

Loyal Exhibitionist

Hmm. This does make me wonder if they will eventually close down and destroy the school. I mean, Sandy Hook school did shortly after the tragic incident.

Granted, it isn't as extreme, but... still tragic nonetheless.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
FirstBornTriplet
EGO Proxy
I was wondering if he was bullied as well.
He did go after a certain select students.
Here's what's going to happen. The media will saturate this story, Video games will get blamed and there will be a copycat. It always happens. It happened with the Naval Yard, it happened with Sandy Hook, It happened with Aurora, it will happen here.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff