Benevolent Duck

15,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
kitsunen
Lunarflowermaiden
kitsunen
I dont understand what this bill is for someone care to explain it in simpler English?
So Its like your insuring yourself in case of rape? So you get an abortion if you get impregnated when raped?

Um sort of. They don't want abortions covered under regular healthcare (which is now at least partly tax payer funded under the Affordable Care Act). So in order for abortions to be covered, you have to buy a separate policy to cover abortions, which of course you can't get if you are already pregnant.

Basically it is a big old 'boo hoo we don't want our tax dollars to fund abortions' (well at least that is what they'll say, really they just want to legislate them out of existence entirely), so we'll do something ridiculous again.

Ohhhh interesting. I didn't think abortions were ever covered under insurance

I think some private insurance plans did, but nothing funded by the government. But with the affordable care act, I know that employers now have to have insurance plans that provide birth control (which is causing a big fuss with places like Hobby Lobby).

http://www.dpc.senate.gov/healthreformbill/healthbill18.pdf
Though according to this, plans don't have to cover abortions. And tax credits cannot be used for abortions. Many states are even passing laws to ban insurance plans on the health care exchange from covering abortions at all.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/12/michigan-obamacare-affordable-care-act-abortions-100985.html
24 states, which is sad.
http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/health-reform-and-abortion-coverage.aspx Some of them even had laws preventing health insurance covering abortions even before the Affordable Care Act.

So really, it is just them trying once again to legislate abortion out of existence.
Lunarflowermaiden
kitsunen
Lunarflowermaiden
kitsunen
I dont understand what this bill is for someone care to explain it in simpler English?
So Its like your insuring yourself in case of rape? So you get an abortion if you get impregnated when raped?

Um sort of. They don't want abortions covered under regular healthcare (which is now at least partly tax payer funded under the Affordable Care Act). So in order for abortions to be covered, you have to buy a separate policy to cover abortions, which of course you can't get if you are already pregnant.

Basically it is a big old 'boo hoo we don't want our tax dollars to fund abortions' (well at least that is what they'll say, really they just want to legislate them out of existence entirely), so we'll do something ridiculous again.

I think some private insurance plans did, but nothing funded by the government. But with the affordable care act, I know that employers now have to have insurance plans that provide birth control (which is causing a big fuss with places like Hobby Lobby).

Though according to this, plans don't have to cover abortions. And tax credits cannot be used for abortions. Many states are even passing laws to ban insurance plans on the health care exchange from covering abortions at all.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/12/michigan-obamacare-affordable-care-act-abortions-100985.html
24 states, which is sad.
http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/health-reform-and-abortion-coverage.aspx Some of them even had laws preventing health insurance covering abortions even before the Affordable Care Act.

So really, it is just them trying once again to legislate abortion out of existence.

I dont have problems with Abortion being legal as long as its the woman involved and probably her husband or byfriend who will fully cover for it.

Unless of course she was raped in which case the attacker should pay for it....if he is poor then force him to sell some organs to fund for it

((I sound extreme HAHAHAHA but really Abortion is illegal in my country so I really can't undertand another country's law that easily))

O.G. Elder

This is possibly the most batshit crazy piece of legislation I've seen pushed through in a while and the justifications from some people in this thread really highlight it.

I don't see how anyone can think this is okay. I'm not particularly liberal, I don't generally support abortion, and I still think this is some shady and morally bankrupt legal bullshit.

We're asking women to think about and decide whether they're at risk for rape like its some kind of rare disease with risk factors that can be predicted for and prevented. What about ******** children? Thirteen, fourteen year old girls whose parents never consider the possibility that someone they all trust is gonna abuse the girl and knock her up in the process? Whoops. Your mommy didn't think you were pretty enough to get raped. Guess she was wrong, eh?

******** stupid.
Ratttking
Old Blue Collar Joe
ButterflyInTheStarrySky
Rape Insurance: because Republicans totally aren't at a war with women

I realize you are just towing the party line, utterly oblivious to the reality, but Rick Snyder, the Republican Governor when they tried to pass this last year, vetoed the bill.
I do agree that there should be a better worded law in effect. What the state law should state is, the state government will pay for the abortion of rape victims, as long as they press charges, and sue the accused of the crime for the cost of the procedure.
The reason? So that we don't have people screaming rape just because they can't/won't pony up for an abortion on their own.
And what if there is no one to press charges against and sue because neither she nor the police know who raped her?

Take a DNA sample, give the best possible description, and move on. Eventually the culprit will get drug in and his DNA sample will be taken and matched, so he gets an even longer sentence.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Old Blue Collar Joe
Ratttking
Old Blue Collar Joe
ButterflyInTheStarrySky
Rape Insurance: because Republicans totally aren't at a war with women

I realize you are just towing the party line, utterly oblivious to the reality, but Rick Snyder, the Republican Governor when they tried to pass this last year, vetoed the bill.
I do agree that there should be a better worded law in effect. What the state law should state is, the state government will pay for the abortion of rape victims, as long as they press charges, and sue the accused of the crime for the cost of the procedure.
The reason? So that we don't have people screaming rape just because they can't/won't pony up for an abortion on their own.
And what if there is no one to press charges against and sue because neither she nor the police know who raped her?

Take a DNA sample, give the best possible description, and move on. Eventually the culprit will get drug in and his DNA sample will be taken and matched, so he gets an even longer sentence.
There may not be a sample to be obtained if he used a condom, she might not have seen him at all, and they may never catch him. Meantime, she still needs an abortion and pronto as the cost of obtaining one and the risks to the woman go up the longer she remains pregnant.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Lunarflowermaiden
kitsunen
Lunarflowermaiden
kitsunen

24 states, which is sad.

The govt funds Medicaid and Medicaid pays for abortions in 15 states for women who are on it.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
I Shall Give You NoMercy
I swear, if the government put in as much effort and care as they do in abortions, into actual important issues, they're get a whole lot more done. I mean its almost 2014. We're one of the few counties in the world who are still getting our panties in a wad over abortion. Just shut up and move on jesus christ.
"Few" countries? Most South American and African countries ban it except for cases of rape, maternal health or life, or mental health, some don't allow it for rape victims, some ban it outright. Parts of Europe, Asia, and Australia have or are trying to pass laws banning it. Our undies are far from the only ones being knotted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Abortion_Laws.svg

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces