Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
link

Quote:
Qwerty keyboards: Time for a rethink?

Q-W-E-R-T-Y. Six letters that define so much of our waking lives.

If they are not there on the screen in front of you, chances are they are only a click away.

In some ways, these six letters are a triumph of design. They’re wired into our brains, replicated on keyboards, phones and tablets across the world – and have changed very little since Milwaukee port official Christopher Sholes used the layout to stop mechanical levers jamming on a 19th-Century typewriter.

In another sense, though, the over 140 years of continuity embodied in keyboards show a strange tension at work behind technology’s claims of progress and perfectibility. And it’s the same for other interfaces. The mice attached to almost every desktop system in the world still conform to the same essential design set out in the 1965 paper on “computer-aided display control” that coined the term. Even touchscreens ape established layouts and conventions.

Appropriately enough, the name for this inertia is the “qwerty phenomenon. Some things simply seem to be too deeply and universally engrained to be susceptible to change, even if there would be numerous advantages in doing so. Having found a design that largely fitted our early needs, we gave up on alternatives (the Dvorak Simplified Keyboard, patented in 1936, is the only other option with any global following).

Yet it’s not just the physical conventions locked into our devices that matter, but the assumptions bound up with them – and the way these assumptions define as well as serve our purposes.

Take the way these six letters encourage us to treat our hands. The 27 bones, over 60 muscles and tendons, and three nerves of the human hand are sensitive to minute variations in pressure, velocity, position, temperature and texture. They are effortlessly able to execute three-dimensional manoeuvres while sensing and responding to all of these. Yet, in computing terms, all this incredible bandwidth is usually funnelled into tapping on keys able to recognise only two information states – on and off. Even the most advanced touchscreen is barely able to register five fingers’ worth of contact points on its textureless, depthless surface.

Finger prints

There are, of course, a few notable exceptions. But, by the standards of pre-digital technologies like musical instruments, the way in which we bring our abilities directly to bear on our creations is laughably crude. It is a little like asking an orchestra to perform Beethoven by banging their instruments against the ground.

And this may help explain the nature of one of my most illuminating recent tech experiences when, earlier this month, I was speaking at a conference organized in London by the Economist magazine. Some of the world’s best digital brains were present. Yet, between talks, I kept finding myself drawn away from conversation and towards a strange musical instrument sitting, together with two of its creators, in one corner of the central reception room.

For someone who has played the piano for twenty-five years, the Seaboard was an exquisitely bizarre encounter. A sleek black piano keyboard with a ribbed and rubberized surface, it looked like a silicon mould for making music-themed desserts – and felt, when I was graciously allowed to sit down and play, like massaging a giant bag of jelly sweets. Digging my fingers into the (startlingly robust) keys mixed familiarity with sudden ineptness. Onto the concept of a piano had been grafted several entirely new layers of physical interaction.

What was truly remarkable was the degree of control on offer. According to London-based manufacturers ROLI, the “soft three­dimensional surface that enables unprecedented real­time, intuitive control of the fundamental characteristics of sound: pitch, volume, and timbre”. In other words, you can change the character of each note you’re playing by literally flexing and vibrating your fingers as they press into the rubbery keys, while simultaneously undertaking the standard keyboard business of pressure sensitivity and mechanical action. Instead of laboriously applying effects to your music post-recording, you can generate them in real time without lifting your hands from the instrument.

My brief encounter left me astonished, above all, by the way in which to play was to start learning with the body as much as with the mind. Because everything happened in real time, in response to so many simultaneous layers of action, I was literally feeling my way into a new form of expression – aided by the underlying familiarity of the pattern beneath my fingers. Here was that rarest of things, a new musical instrument that might actually catch on among musicians; not to mention a cutting-edge technology pushing back against the digital dream of effortless manipulation. To shape its sounds well would demand effort, practice, artistry – and an individual human touch.

Most obviously, the future of interfaces like the Seaboard’s lies in applying its principles to other musical instruments. Beyond this, though, it also seemed to me to represent something far larger: the possibility of everyday computer interfaces able to respond to human hands with something of the incredible sophistication they themselves possess.

For this wasn’t so much the reinvention of the traditional concept of a keyboard – a word known to music long before its use in typing, let alone computing – as its augmentation into another dimension. The very idea of everyday computer interaction via such a tool may seem outlandish. Yet, even as it currently exists, the rubberised interface can be remoulded to fit almost any size or shape. Why shouldn’t we seek to expand the vocabulary of our interfaces in this way?

The current answer is as much prejudice and momentum than reason. Nobody, I’m sure, wants simply to type onto a spongy keyboard. But sensitivity to depth, pressure, vibration and texture might transform how we relate to countless complex tasks, ranging from games and simulations to graphical design and multi-dimensional data. How much more sophistication could be achieved via “soft” mouse buttons – and how much more intuitive feedback received? How much more effortless might it be to select, refine and manipulate objects onscreen not by tapping buttons, but by sinking one hand into a single, subtly responsive surface?

For now, these are just pipe dreams. Too often, though, we treat ourselves as disembodied when staring into our screens. It’s a fact reflected in almost all futurological musings on man-machine interfaces. While possibilities like natural speech recognition and mind-machine connections feature prominently in films and books, the basic facts of the human body often get short shrift. Yet, decades from today, the current crop of push-button keyboards and two-dimensional touchscreens may seem as crude as the early typewriters that still wield such influence: a template we cannot shake off entirely, but that need not ensnare us.

Though we cannot simply shake off Qwerty, we can remake it in our own image. There’s something marvellously compelling, for me, about the proposition that the most intricate biological tools we possess should be able to do more than tap against inert plastic keys or glass. We deserve an interface between man and digital machines that isn’t denuded of analog complexity – and that might redress an inadequacy so fundamental that we’ve stopped even thinking of it as one. As I’ve recently discovered, touching is believing.

Mega Cutie-Pie

I'm so used to Qwerty, that I'd probably never rethink how I use my keyboard.

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
Infernal Marionetta

Same here. When I have to use a non-qwerty keyboard, I either have to hunt-and-peck or end up with a message that would baffle Bletchley Park.

Mega Cutie-Pie

Vampirate Kitsune
Infernal Marionetta

Same here. When I have to use a non-qwerty keyboard, I either have to hunt-and-peck or end up with a message that would baffle Bletchley Park.

I remember when I had to use an ABC keyboard. It was awful.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
The author's long rambling musings don't go very far beyond the science fiction he refers to.
Yes, decades from now we may have something other than QWERTY but currently no one has figured out something that types faster. Other than the fact some folks prefer a different key layout but that is something you can do now on your current keyboard. I used to have a coworker who had rearranged his keyboard. I tried a DVORAK keyboard layout once but it wasn't for me.
And no, I have no desire to type on something that feels like a silicon cookie mold.

Mice are only similar to the original patent in that you move them with your hand and a pointer on screen moves. Early mice were tethered clunky bricks and not very accurate. Cordless laser for me.

I may laugh at all this once my brain / computer interface is working great but in the mean time I'm okay with my current keyboard and mouse. Most alternatives I have seen so far are interesting but awkward.

Quotable Lunatic

The thing about the QWERTY keyboard is that it's organized in a manner that the letters we use most often are the most easily accessible when typing, so it just sort of makes sense, you know?

Playful Guildswoman

Ladyhawk21
The thing about the QWERTY keyboard is that it's organized in a manner that the letters we use most often are the most easily accessible when typing, so it just sort of makes sense, you know?

Actually, it isn't. The qwerty keyboard was specifically designed to SLOW DOWN typists, so they wouldn't out-type the machine and, in the olden days, land half a dozen keys jammed in a pile. Dvorak seems awkward simply because we aren't used to it.

An actual projected keyboard is now in prototype - you can project the keyboard on the sidewalk and type on it. The issue is making it commercially profitable.

As far as a more tactile keyboard, that is going to take some experimentation, but unless it is coupled with a voice program like Dragon, I don't see how the subtleties of the soft piano keyboard can be transferred to a document.

So - for the foreseeable future, we need not be concerned about typing a very polite, acidly sarcasti letter - only the politeness will register in print, where with something more subtle, the true emotional color of the communication would come through.

P.S. I love your username, have the seen the movie? I'd love to have the video.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Only problem I have with the QWERTY keyboard is that I'll hit caps lock when i'm reaching for the a by accident when I don't pay attention.

Beloved Cutie-Pie

jellykans
Actually, it isn't. The qwerty keyboard was specifically designed to SLOW DOWN typists, so they wouldn't out-type the machine and, in the olden days, land half a dozen keys jammed in a pile.

I'm glad someone mentioned this.

Playful Guildswoman

Stahlherz
jellykans
Actually, it isn't. The qwerty keyboard was specifically designed to SLOW DOWN typists, so they wouldn't out-type the machine and, in the olden days, land half a dozen keys jammed in a pile.

Not sure if that was serious or tongue-in-cheek, but it's also the reason push-button phones have a reversed keyboard from the adding machine.

Beloved Cutie-Pie

jellykans
Stahlherz
jellykans

Not sure if that was serious or tongue-in-cheek, but it's also the reason push-button phones have a reversed keyboard from the adding machine.

I was serious. I didn't see anyone else saying it.

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
I've had to adapt to atleast four formats for typing. Type Writers mostly did not have QWERTY. They were in atleast three formats. The most popular, or atleast the one I saw the most, was not the QWERTY format. Don't ask me what they were, I have long forgotten. Even though I couldn't read or spell, there was a point I was fluent in typing on three formats simaltaneously.

I am satisfied with what I am using now. It survives me savagely bashing it for several hours daily for 365/366 days out of the year. Okay, it doesn't even survive that. I am constantly breaking my keyboards. I am breaking them because I am bashing on them and using them so much ( most of the time that's why they die).

What this writer is seeking is something only suited for short spans of entertainment. Something for weekends to relax to. Not something suited for work. Not something suited for heavy use. Not something suited for a range of users sharing one keyboard. Not something suited.... functionally. These computer keyboards that they think they are inventing for the first time in history in their head are far from just being a future vision. They have been made before. They were pricey and they broke instantly. Waste of money not suited for function, not able to withstand use, not made for hours of use,.. I'm a bit distracted and doing two other things... three other things while I type this,.. This is something that would easily break before arrival and only had hours of life expectancy. That is why we aren't using those overpriced wrecks. They still are out there. The best thing you might get are those gel keyboards that can be rolled up and bent.

I'd rather have an orb I could manipulate with my fingers to create 3D objects then a QWERTY keyboard that would spam, drift, and break in under a week.

Guy needs to go keyboard shopping in a real computer store.

Wintry Dragon

I like the QWERTY. I do miss those split keyboard that were popular in the late 90s and early 2ks. I still use that ergonomic model from Microsoft for the desk top.

Greedy Consumer

im good at videogames so Ill prolly adjust lol

Interesting Lunatic

A mali
I like the QWERTY. I do miss those split keyboard that were popular in the late 90s and early 2ks. I still use that ergonomic model from Microsoft for the desk top.
I think I saw those at Staples recently. Pretty expensive...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff