• Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Mei tsuki7
Ratttking
Mei tsuki7
xdivision_whitey
Nyadriel
And what? You want them to wait til you have a fever all the while you go around being in contact with people? Like you can't segregate yourself for a time period til you are absolutely certain? For the sake of your own family and friends at least?
You're gonna b***h at somebody who wants to be safe rather than sorry all the while knowing full well how fast the disease could potentially spread in a state or city with a large population.

Sorry. No. They even provided you with your basic needs while you are being quarantined.
And maybe the Governor misspoke and meant to say "potentially" sick. Either way. You could have saved yourself your "emotional and physical stress" if you had placed yourself in quarantine so he would not have to. America has already 'tasted' the consequences of medical personnel not doing it. You should have known better.
Besides, public health officials have been too damned slow and inefficient in their actions.
Slow is right! Did you know for 10 years we had an Ebola Czar who sat on her a** and did nothing. If she did we would of already made a vaccine by now. Heaven forbid we wait till Russia competes with USA to come up with the first Vaccine. This new one that just got appointed say the world is "Over Populated and people who get this illness just need to die."

More like we waited until white people started getting the disease...
Ah, then where is the vaccine for HIV, hmmm? White people - even straight white people - have been getting it since at least the early 80s yet there's no vaccine yet, and the last one tested actually increased susceptibility to the virus. Do you really think coming up a with a new effective treatment is child's play?

O yes. Let's compare two completely different things and say they're the same.
The issue with this is that there was a company with a cure. They just didn't care enough to actually use it for non American patients.
We are comparing vaccines for viral diseases, so no, not two completely different things, two rather similar things. No, there are companies with extremely new, experimental vaccines that have not been subjected to clinical trials. The drug companies are not all American, some are Canadian, and the limited supplies have been given to patients in the US and abroad, but were not effective in treating all cases. Blood transfused from an Ebola survivor is believed to have made a crucial difference in survival rates, unfortunately not all patients so far have had a compatible blood type as the available donors.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Nyadriel
Keltoi Samurai
Nyadriel
Keltoi Samurai
punk otaku mom
Seriously lady? You'd rather put every other man, woman, and child at risk of dying a painful death just to get your way?
STFU, sit down, and enjoy the free time for the next few weeks

Butbutbut . . . Her Human Rights!

You must remember, her Human Rights are being violated, and that more than makes up for her wanting to jeapordise the health and human rights of those around her.

(I see what you did thar)
No shower... I am thinking 'huh?' They do have something for her to wash with, right?

And I agree with her about not having any reading material (even just a magazince or a paperback novel you can burn right after... puzzle books... something). Do you have any idea how *mumbles and swears under her breath profusely* boring it is to not have anything to read or do for an ef-ing month or two? DO YOU?! AHHGGG!!! It's "GET ME THE ___ OUT OF HERE!!"
Trust me! I know all too well!
Still, it is not really a "violation of human rights" no matter how you look at it. It's just really really inconvenient. Being shoved in there is frightening and maaaayyybbbeee a violation of human rights (like it's never not no matter the disease or other reason like radiation poisoning or whatever the reason they may have to do this) the way they shove you in there. But 21 days is 21 days. And just because the first two times she took her temp does not really mean anything between times. Especially when the third might say her temp has risen. 21 days after you finished dealing with very sick patients is 21 days.

Interestingly enough, if the closest thing one can come up with is "she's bored with only her cell phone to distract her" and "she can't take a shower," then . . . Well, wouldn't the lack of crossword puzzles and lack of shower facilities in tiny African villages ( not to mention the fact that they don't have cell phones, or meals being delivered to them ) be a much more pressing human rights violation than her being quarantined to prevent the spread of an infectious disease, especially one where she's the primary vector of contamination ( remember, it was considered to be primarily risky to be medical staff handling Ebola patients, which is exactly what she was )?

Just a thought.

You see where we both are going with this? It's ridiculous to even whine about it. She could have asked for reading material and they should have given it to her (cell phones not enough because you still get bored). In Africa they can at least sing a song or something if they have enough energy to do it. But generally they are pretty much bed-ridden like every other sick person in the world. Right?

On reading material and other things: I have asked the hospital staff where I was and my parents for something to read. Never got any. I did get my school homework, but could not do it for some reason (well I know now why. Even to do this day I sometimes still have trouble focusing or comprehending). There was a room down the hall I used to 'escape' to, however. Games, books, puzzles... people to talk to... Nurses tried everything to get me to stay in bed or at least stay in my room - except give me what I needed to stay there. They even gave me four mice as temporary pets hoping I would stay in the room. But I had no interest (they did not even tell me when how how to feed them or care for them either) and all that... Ya really wanna talk to mice all day? Not like they could answer you back or anything.
If ya even wanna get out of the hospital early cause you are feeling much better after surgery, I have a recommendation for you. ninja The caveat is... you get stuck in bed at home - well... on the couch in the living room for me. The 'King and I' with Yul Brynner! Ya cannot get any better than that! mrgreen
A cell phone? Somehow I thought she was on a land line. So, she has access to the Internet and all its wonderful features like music, videos, and e-books? Oh, the suffering she must be enduring! Not having a large-screen video monitor is a worse human rights violation than slavery. gonk
Pessimist
Old Blue Collar Joe
MegaTurkey
Old Blue Collar Joe
MegaTurkey
Silly. She's just a nurse and everyone knows they're not human! As scum of the earth she has less rights than the Ebola virus itself. The only vile creatures worse than her kind is... (We'd better not say it too loud or we'll upset everyone just mentioning them) doctors. But let's not get started on them, they're as dumb as rocks, a quick wiki sesh or a forum post on Gaia obviously proves that. I mean you, beta testing games all day and night, on your reclinable one man sofa, perpetually snacking on Xtreme cheese flavoured Doritoes till your fingernails are permanently stained orange, like the self sacrificing hero you are. You sir, and everyone like you deserve a medal. Thank you for your service.

Funny part is, no one seems to calling doctors idiots. But that also doesn't give them some 'magic immunity' glitch since they like to run around and play in these viruses ground zeros.
They've also violated the 'self imposed' monitoring on multiple occasions, so the 'they're trained professionals and would NEVER do something wrong' attitude or excuse, as if they're some type of God instead of mere fallible humans, has shown their willful breaking of the rules.
So nah. Let them whine and cry. Safely. In quarantine during the 21 day incubation period.
(And give her whining a** cable. And some books.) But if she asks for conjugals? Nah. Give her a cucumber.
The key assumption here on your part is always that you, without any training, relevant education or clinical experience whatsoever, have the necessary clinical judgement to risk assess, manage the case optimally and implement the correct infection control precautions, oh and all with neither first hand access to the patient for a history nor their potential signs or symptoms, or lack of them. Seeing as you're so awesomely talented in medicine, far far better than us mere mortals that have to spend decades in training, we'd better put that to good use; I've got a patient with osteomyelitis of finger treated with IV tazocin for two days and she's become neutropoenic (apparently it's happened in the past with other b lactams) and I could do with an explanation from haematology thanks. smile

Well, genius, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know rockets can go boom, and you don't have to be a virologist to know that viruses tend to mutate and ******** up the best laid plans and dreams.
But you go ahead and pretend that viruses never mutate, that they are 100% beyond error certain that one must be puked upon in an open wound to catch this virus, and that it is literally IMPOSSIBLE to test negative when you aren't showing signs of the virus.
Or that we already didn't have a nurse fly to Ohio to make wedding plans even though she KNEW she had a low grade fever, but hey, it couldn't be ebola, right?
Or the doctor that took public transport and didn't bother to report it to anyone until his temp hit 103.
Yeah. We should really trust these ******** to do the right thing instantly.

You know what a low-grade fever is indicative of? Literally anything. I have had one for the past week and a half. Why? Allergies and/or cold.

But MegaTurkey is right. We went to school for nothing. You are obviously qualified to be the next surgeon general. Please, shower us in your innate, blue-collar wisdom.

And, since you're so knowledgeable on viral mutation, why don't you predict exactly how ebola is going to mutate and give us a timeline as to when?

I am well aware of what a low grade fever is indicative of. I've also got enough of a brain in my head to realize, if I'm in an occupation where I am dealing with a disease as bad as ebola is, that if I am warned to 'report immediately any low grade fever and NOT go out in public', to report said fever and not be such an arrogant ******** douche as to risk other people.
You're obviously qualified enough to be the janitors' helper, since you clearly ignore what these people were told to do in the first place, so they then ignored THAT advice.

Feral Nymph

Old Blue Collar Joe
Pessimist
Old Blue Collar Joe
MegaTurkey
Old Blue Collar Joe
MegaTurkey
Silly. She's just a nurse and everyone knows they're not human! As scum of the earth she has less rights than the Ebola virus itself. The only vile creatures worse than her kind is... (We'd better not say it too loud or we'll upset everyone just mentioning them) doctors. But let's not get started on them, they're as dumb as rocks, a quick wiki sesh or a forum post on Gaia obviously proves that. I mean you, beta testing games all day and night, on your reclinable one man sofa, perpetually snacking on Xtreme cheese flavoured Doritoes till your fingernails are permanently stained orange, like the self sacrificing hero you are. You sir, and everyone like you deserve a medal. Thank you for your service.

Funny part is, no one seems to calling doctors idiots. But that also doesn't give them some 'magic immunity' glitch since they like to run around and play in these viruses ground zeros.
They've also violated the 'self imposed' monitoring on multiple occasions, so the 'they're trained professionals and would NEVER do something wrong' attitude or excuse, as if they're some type of God instead of mere fallible humans, has shown their willful breaking of the rules.
So nah. Let them whine and cry. Safely. In quarantine during the 21 day incubation period.
(And give her whining a** cable. And some books.) But if she asks for conjugals? Nah. Give her a cucumber.
The key assumption here on your part is always that you, without any training, relevant education or clinical experience whatsoever, have the necessary clinical judgement to risk assess, manage the case optimally and implement the correct infection control precautions, oh and all with neither first hand access to the patient for a history nor their potential signs or symptoms, or lack of them. Seeing as you're so awesomely talented in medicine, far far better than us mere mortals that have to spend decades in training, we'd better put that to good use; I've got a patient with osteomyelitis of finger treated with IV tazocin for two days and she's become neutropoenic (apparently it's happened in the past with other b lactams) and I could do with an explanation from haematology thanks. smile

Well, genius, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know rockets can go boom, and you don't have to be a virologist to know that viruses tend to mutate and ******** up the best laid plans and dreams.
But you go ahead and pretend that viruses never mutate, that they are 100% beyond error certain that one must be puked upon in an open wound to catch this virus, and that it is literally IMPOSSIBLE to test negative when you aren't showing signs of the virus.
Or that we already didn't have a nurse fly to Ohio to make wedding plans even though she KNEW she had a low grade fever, but hey, it couldn't be ebola, right?
Or the doctor that took public transport and didn't bother to report it to anyone until his temp hit 103.

You know what a low-grade fever is indicative of? Literally anything. I have had one for the past week and a half. Why? Allergies and/or cold.

But MegaTurkey is right. We went to school for nothing. You are obviously qualified to be the next surgeon general. Please, shower us in your innate, blue-collar wisdom.

And, since you're so knowledgeable on viral mutation, why don't you predict exactly how ebola is going to mutate and give us a timeline as to when?

I am well aware of what a low grade fever is indicative of. I've also got enough of a brain in my head to realize, if I'm in an occupation where I am dealing with a disease as bad as ebola is, that if I am warned to 'report immediately any low grade fever and NOT go out in public', to report said fever and not be such an arrogant ******** douche as to risk other people.
You're obviously qualified enough to be the janitors' helper, since you clearly ignore what these people were told to do in the first place, so they then ignored THAT advice.

So your response is "I'm right! Why? Because... um... insult your credentials, even though I have no knowledge of your schooling!"

I am wowed. I beg your forgiveness. Please, I insist, be our next surgeon general.

What you are failing to realize is that risking other people =! going out in public. As it stands, ebola does not spread via aerosol. It spreads via direct exposure to bodily fluids. Now, what pretty much everyone in this forum cannot comprehend is the very critical distinction between areosols and hocking up a loogie on someone. Everyone has suddenly become an lay-expert on infectious diseases and refuses to let actual experts speak.
Pessimist
Old Blue Collar Joe
Pessimist
Old Blue Collar Joe
MegaTurkey

So your response is "I'm right! Why? Because... um... insult your credentials, even though I have no knowledge of your schooling!"

I am wowed. I beg your forgiveness. Please, I insist, be our next surgeon general.

What you are failing to realize is that risking other people =! going out in public. As it stands, ebola does not spread via aerosol. It spreads via direct exposure to bodily fluids. Now, what pretty much everyone in this forum cannot comprehend is the very critical distinction between areosols and hocking up a loogie on someone. Everyone has suddenly become an lay-expert on infectious diseases and refuses to let actual experts speak.

I don't need to know nor give a ******** about your credentials.
I didn't insult any credentials. I merely pointed out the fact that the doctor and nurse that were confirmed as positive AFTER the fact... IGNORED the health warnings about spreading it.
Thus, they merely proved beyond a reasonable doubt that the possession of an advanced degree in the field of medicine doesn't necessitate that someone will actually give a ******** about someone besides themselves.
One doesn't have to have a dual doctorate to understand BASIC health concerns and the reality that some decisions cannot be left to the honor system.

Feral Nymph

Old Blue Collar Joe
Pessimist
Old Blue Collar Joe
Pessimist
Old Blue Collar Joe
MegaTurkey

I didn't insult any credentials. I merely pointed out the fact that the doctor and nurse that were confirmed as positive AFTER the fact... IGNORED the health warnings about spreading it.
Thus, they merely proved beyond a reasonable doubt that the possession of an advanced degree in the field of medicine doesn't necessitate that someone will actually give a ******** about someone besides themselves.
One doesn't have to have a dual doctorate to understand BASIC health concerns and the reality that some decisions cannot be left to the honor system.

You're right. Telling me I should be a janitor's assistant was a completely professional assessment of my skills as a nurse. My apologies.

Like I've been saying, please become our next surgeon general. Your understanding of epidemiology is astounding, and I am subservient to your knowledge. I hope you actually manage to provide for the people coming back from West Africa, because, like I also said, the US is an at-will employer, so I don't imagine anyone being held in those 21 day magic quarantines will still have jobs.*

*I actually can't be bothered to come up with a better reply given how the first dude in New York monitored himself on a twice-daily basis then submitted himself to the hospital at the first sign he might be sick. Clearly innate wisdom born of no upper level schooling in the subject proves best.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
She tested negative and they let her go home yesterday, where no doubt she will continue complaining about having had to go without TV for several days.

Dangerous Streaker

9,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
            This whole story is pissing me off so much, and being that I live in the city, it's on every. ********. Channel. Every day.

Seriously, this chick is just making a big stink over nothing just so she can milk it for all it's worth -- which in the end will probably be a hilarious failure on her part. The airports are right to quarantine people coming back from affected and neighboring countries; that's not a question in my city anymore. She says her temperature went from the 98 recorded at the airport, to 101 recorded later that day -- within a couple of hours -- because 'she was so stressed'. First off, waah waah she was stressed; she knew this was what she'd go through returning to America. Second, stress doesn't make your temperature spike that high, that fast. And most importantly nothing done to her was unfair! She was quarantined, tested, and released when her results were negative.

The real story here, most likely, is she had plans that night! or being quarantined otherwise inconvenienced her somehow, so now she's gonna throw the word 'human rights' around like it even applies to her situation just so she can have a 'cause', be on TV, fight the system, and get attention.

This s**t needs to stop. >~>

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
this is my fall avatar
            This whole story is pissing me off so much, and being that I live in the city, it's on every. ********. Channel. Every day.

Seriously, this chick is just making a big stink over nothing just so she can milk it for all it's worth -- which in the end will probably be a hilarious failure on her part. The airports are right to quarantine people coming back from affected and neighboring countries; that's not a question in my city anymore. She says her temperature went from the 98 recorded at the airport, to 101 recorded later that day -- within a couple of hours -- because 'she was so stressed'. First off, waah waah she was stressed; she knew this was what she'd go through returning to America. Second, stress doesn't make your temperature spike that high, that fast. And most importantly nothing done to her was unfair! She was quarantined, tested, and released when her results were negative.

The real story here, most likely, is she had plans that night! or being quarantined otherwise inconvenienced her somehow, so now she's gonna throw the word 'human rights' around like it even applies to her situation just so she can have a 'cause', be on TV, fight the system, and get attention.

This s**t needs to stop. >~>
Since I found out she's from Maine I stopped taking any of her complaints seriously. Mainers will complain about sunny days and free lunches, and God forbid something doesn't go their way. She tested negative and they sent her a** back to Maine, and may we never hear from her again.

Dangerous Streaker

9,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Ratttking

Lol true that.

I sorta picture this chick as the kind of a*****e who throws a temper tantrum in Starbucks if her latte is more Pumpkin than Spice or vice versa. I mean, isn't that what she's doing now? Just throwing one big hissy fit because something didn't go her way?

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
this is my fall avatar
Ratttking

Lol true that.

I sorta picture this chick as the kind of a*****e who throws a temper tantrum in Starbucks if her latte is more Pumpkin than Spice or vice versa. I mean, isn't that what she's doing now? Just throwing one big hissy fit because something didn't go her way?
She considered not having a TV a human rights violation. mrgreen

Omnipresent Warlord

Old Blue Collar Joe
Pessimist
Old Blue Collar Joe
Pessimist
Old Blue Collar Joe
MegaTurkey

Wow, once your foot's in your mouth you just refuse to remove it and demand that your uninformed, kneejerk reaction to things demands respect ... for some reason.

Well, Pessimist, I'll apologize for BCJ because he's too proud to admit he's wrong and that you've put hard work into earning your credibility in medicine and if you were in the nurse in the article's situation I'd hope that your human rights would be tended to and your dignity preserved rather that becoming a media spectacle for uninformed, ignorant laymen to mock you.

If it pleases you, Pessimist, he's a recipe for cookies that will surely sweeten up your day.

www.food.com/recipe/cocoa-powder-cookies-241796

Now to make them really good is get a big box of junior mints and put some of them into the cookies right when they come out of the oven. The mint goes really well with the chocolate.

Dangerous Streaker

9,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Ratttking

I know, and she's bitching left and right about the 'emotional stress' they put her through. She needs to brew up some $35 relaxation tea, reunite with her favorite reality show, and calm the ******** down.

Eloquent Lunatic

10,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
Valiant Corvus
And the uneducated fear-mongering of Ebola continues to spread by people who still pretend to know what they're talking about.
After reading through some of the posts, I felt it appropriate to repeat this post I made on the first page.

neutral

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
this is my fall avatar
Ratttking

I know, and she's bitching left and right about the 'emotional stress' they put her through. She needs to brew up some $35 'calming' tea, reunite with her favorite reality show, and calm the ******** down.
She's gonna flip her s**t when she finds out they cancelled Honey Boo Boo.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff