Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
Kaci Hickox, a nurse placed under mandatory quarantine in New Jersey, went on CNN on Sunday and criticized the "knee-jerk reaction by politicians" to Ebola, saying "to quarantine someone without a better plan in place, without more forethought, is just preposterous."

Hickox, an epidemiologist who was working to help treat Ebola patients in Sierra Leone, has tested negative twice for Ebola and does not have symptoms, she said.

"This is an extreme that is really unacceptable, and I feel like my basic human rights have been violated," Hickox told CNN's Candy Crowley on "State of the Union."

She described herself as "physically strong" but "emotionally exhausted."

"To put me through this emotional and physical stress is completely unacceptable," she said.

She slammed New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie for describing her as "obviously ill."

"I'm sorry, but that's just a completely unacceptable statement in my opinion. For him -- a politician who's trusted and respected -- to make a statement that's categorically not true is just unacceptable and appalling," Hickox told Elizabeth Cohen, CNN's senior medical correspondent, in a separate interview.

Hickox told Crowley that mandatory quarantine is "not a sound public health decision" and that public health officials -- not politicians -- should be making the policies related to Ebola and public safety.

Quarantined nurse to CNN: 'My basic human rights' are being violated

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
And what? You want them to wait til you have a fever all the while you go around being in contact with people? Like you can't segregate yourself for a time period til you are absolutely certain? For the sake of your own family and friends at least?
You're gonna b***h at somebody who wants to be safe rather than sorry all the while knowing full well how fast the disease could potentially spread in a state or city with a large population.

Sorry. No. They even provided you with your basic needs while you are being quarantined.
And maybe the Governor misspoke and meant to say "potentially" sick. Either way. You could have saved yourself your "emotional and physical stress" if you had placed yourself in quarantine so he would not have to. America has already 'tasted' the consequences of medical personnel not doing it. You should have known better.
Besides, public health officials have been too damned slow and inefficient in their actions.
We've tried it the medical way. They IGNORED their own rules. So, nah. No more honor system. You have 21 days to deal with it. If you're not sick after 21 days, go have fun. Until that time? STFU and watch TV.
You're the one who chose to work in a profession, and on an illness, that is reputedly so dangerous.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Sorry lady, but you made the choice to be in contact with ebola patients, so now you have to pay the price. Public safety comes first. You don't like it? Don't go back over there. You know the incubation period. This is for the safety of the people of the country you call home. You don't get special treatment just because you volunteered to go over there and help people. If you really gave a s**t, you'd quit your bitching and put up with the damn quarantine. As a nurse who helped treat people with ebola, she should know by now how dangerous it is, how long the incubation period is, and how virulent it can really be. But no. "I'm an American, I want special treatment, b***h b***h whine whine." Wait until the 21 days are up. The quarantine is in place to protect people. If she didn't want to help, save, and protect people from disease, she shouldn't have gone into her line of work.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
The thing that the people who posted above me don't seem to realize is that this nurse had been tested for ebola twice already and both times it came back negative. I'm sure that even if she did have it and was only asymptomatic at this point she'd still test positive for it. If she's negative for ebola then she should be able to do as she wishes and not have to be kept quarantined for three weeks. And if she does start developing symptoms then odds are she probably has enough sense to go to a hospital and explain the situation.

All this is going to do is discourage people from volunteering to help in places over in West Africa who could really use it. If I actually could I'd love to go over there and help those who are sick with ebola. I know how to protect myself from getting it, it''s not that hard.
Honey of the South
The thing that the people who posted above me don't seem to realize is that this nurse had been tested for ebola twice already and both times it came back negative. I'm sure that even if she did have it and was only asymptomatic at this point she'd still test positive for it. If she's negative for ebola then she should be able to do as she wishes and not have to be kept quarantined for three weeks. And if she does start developing symptoms then odds are she probably has enough sense to go to a hospital and explain the situation.

All this is going to do is discourage people from volunteering to help in places over in West Africa who could really use it. If I actually could I'd love to go over there and help those who are sick with ebola. I know how to protect myself from getting it, it''s not that hard.

You're wrong. Ebola tests are only accurate when you already have symptoms or two days before at most. [Source]

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Mei tsuki7
Honey of the South

You're wrong. Ebola tests are only accurate when you already have symptoms or two days before at most. [Source]
Like I said though, this woman probably has enough sense to get herself to a hospital and explain the situation should she start to show symptoms of ebola. Especially since she is an epidemiologist.
Honey of the South
Mei tsuki7
Honey of the South

Like I said though, this woman probably has enough sense to get herself to a hospital and explain the situation should she start to show symptoms of ebola. Especially since she is an epidemiologist.

You have no idea about the other people do you? There have been TWO medical personel who have taken public transportation of some kind while they had fevers. BOTH were diagnosed with ebola. We CANNOT trust that these people will actually go to the hospital. Plus there's the fact that once you show symptoms you are already contagious.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
If she considers Governor Christie 'trusted and respected' she's obviously sick in the head.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Mei tsuki7
Honey of the South
Mei tsuki7
Honey of the South

You have no idea about the other people do you? There have been TWO medical personel who have taken public transportation of some kind while they had fevers. BOTH were diagnosed with ebola. We CANNOT trust that these people will actually go to the hospital. Plus there's the fact that once you show symptoms you are already contagious.
The virus can be killed with bleach, and only survives a few hours on dry surfaces. Unless they threw up on the floor of the transportation they took and the vehicles were not sanitized afterwards there is no real reason for me to assume that any one else has been infected from being in contact with them. Considering that, relatively speaking, much of the US is in much better conditions than the West African countries currently dealing with the Ebola outbreak it is less likely to spread over here. The only thing that would make me worry about getting Ebola is if it suddenly became airborne and able to spread even when those infected are asymptomatic.
Honey of the South
Mei tsuki7
Honey of the South
Mei tsuki7
Honey of the South

The virus can be killed with bleach, and only survives a few hours on dry surfaces. Unless they threw up on the floor of the transportation they took and the vehicles were not sanitized afterwards there is no real reason for me to assume that any one else has been infected from being in contact with them. Considering that, relatively speaking, much of the US is in much better conditions than the West African countries currently dealing with the Ebola outbreak it is less likely to spread over here. The only thing that would make me worry about getting Ebola is if it suddenly became airborne and able to spread even when those infected are asymptomatic.

Have you ever used ANY public transportation? It is NEVER sanitized after people use it. Plus we're talking about a plane and a subway. In both people are tightly packed which makes it more likely to spread.

Eloquent Lunatic

10,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
And the uneducated fear-mongering of Ebola continues to spread by people who still pretend to know what they're talking about.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Mei tsuki7
Honey of the South
Mei tsuki7
Honey of the South
Mei tsuki7
Honey of the South

Have you ever used ANY public transportation? It is NEVER sanitized after people use it. Plus we're talking about a plane and a subway. In both people are tightly packed which makes it more likely to spread.
I'm pretty sure that they do get cleaned when people throw up in them. And even if people are tightly packed together in those areas, it's an issue of direct contact with a symptomatic individual with Ebola and an open wound on the skin that increases the chance of one getting infected.

My mom has explained the things about Ebola and how it spreads and such to me. She is a lab tech in a hospital. Her job involves testing things such as blood and urine and the like from patients to determine what may be wrong with them. In my family she has the highest risk of getting the Ebola virus, but luckily the hospital she works at has not had to treat any Ebola patients so far. Odds are there won't be any Ebola patients at that hospital. It's not going to spread as easily here as it has in West Africa for many reasons, too many of which there are for me to name.
EBOLA
BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!
*sits back to watch everyone panic*
Valiant Corvus
And the uneducated fear-mongering of Ebola continues to spread by people who still pretend to know what they're talking about.

Officials: "There's no chance of anybody infected with Ebola getting on a plane and coming here." Then Thomas Duncan got on a plane and came here.

Officials: "We have the best healthcare in the world! We'll never get Ebola here, but if we do, we're fully prepared to handle it." Then a couple nurses get Ebola while treating Duncan.

CDC Director Frieden: "You can't catch Ebola on a bus, but if you have Ebola you can transmit it on a bus..."

CDC Director Frieden: "We can't have a travel ban because our doctors don't know how to arrange charter flights, or arrange military flights, and are totally dependent on commercial travel... And anyhow a travel ban in the U.S. would somehow stop commercial flights from Senegal, an African country, to other parts of Africa..."

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff