5,600 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100
Booty Tickle
Goldgato
Booty Tickle
Some Odd Human
And yet if she brought a basket of kittens and their mother in and they started feeding I'm sure the room would be filled with sighs of awe. XD
cats and people are two totally different things

They're quite similar when it comes to feeding infants,
so are most mammals. But they also s**t on the grass and also don't wear clothes

Way to prove my point.

Shameless Giver

10,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
xdivision_whitey
Health hazard and unprofessional... Aren't we all told if you are sick don't come to work or school. I mean in some cases you are forced to go to school or work just to prove how shitty you feel. But this was her child She should had prior back up plans for this.

Also, and this is just my opinion, but one shouldn't briing their child to work. I know her reasons, but still.....and a sick baby at that. Sick babies are like stinky sacks filled with contagious bacteria. The last place you'd want to bring a sick baby, is to a lecture room full of students. Especially if the teacher passes back papers-possibly after wiping it's runny nose, and cleaning it's puke.

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Love Muffin88
xdivision_whitey
Health hazard and unprofessional... Aren't we all told if you are sick don't come to work or school. I mean in some cases you are forced to go to school or work just to prove how shitty you feel. But this was her child She should had prior back up plans for this.

Also, and this is just my opinion, but one shouldn't briing their child to work. I know her reasons, but still.....and a sick baby at that. Sick babies are like stinky sacks filled with contagious bacteria. The last place you'd want to bring a sick baby, is to a lecture room full of students. Especially if the teacher passes back papers-possibly after wiping it's runny nose, and cleaning it's puke.

Because someone smart enough to be in front of a whole class giving a lecture is going to wipe a baby's nose and clean a baby's puke without maintaining some form of sanitation.

Really small babies are not just 9lb. sack of ick waiting to contaminate someone. That baby is probably safe because breast milk contains thousands of components to protect the baby's immune system.

Versatile Phantom

6,950 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Booty Tickle
Some Odd Human
And yet if she brought a basket of kittens and their mother in and they started feeding I'm sure the room would be filled with sighs of awe. XD
cats and people are two totally different things

You're right! One is covered by fur and has a tail and the other is covered by hair and has a fat bum bum. I should have thought about that before posting.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Okay everyone let's admit two things.
1) Boobies are awesome.
2) Babies are awesome.

Now, can't we all agree that awesome + awesome = fantastic?

When I see a breastfeeding woman, I think, "AAwww a baby is getting love and attention from mommy." It's not vulgar or nasty.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Love Muffin88
xdivision_whitey

You know what else are stinky sacks filled with contagious bacteria? Male college students who live in dorms. The guys I've seen just stink and I'm not sure why.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Pessimist
I don't think milking cows counts. (But I'm simply teasing there) ;P

I understand that sick children are difficult to deal with it. Really. That's *why* I don't want to give her crap about simply bringing her child to class. But normally she has daycare. I would imagine that in order to breast feed a child in daycare would require that you stock up on breastmilk ahead of time. Why is she suddenly unable to come up with ANY other options other then breaking up the lecture?

And really, in my mind, I do not care what it was she was doing. All that matters to me is that she interrupted her own class, where students have gone into debt to attend, in order to do something unrelated to her immediate work.

Though from looking at other versions of the story, I've heard the interesting theory that this was planned from the start, given the course name.

But, hell, maybe it's the hard sciences student in me. Pretty much all of my classes are start to finish lecture when they're not labs, so there is no flexibility.

haha - Now that you mention it I have taught people how to get a good latch on cows too but that was properly using a milking machine. The other part I said (with actually nursing human mothers) is true but I'm not claiming to be a lactation consultant. It was a couple of people along the way that were relatives or 'pseudo-relatives'.

About the part I bolded - you do have a point. If she planned on daycare before the baby got sick then she likely had milk she had pumped off previously or during the night. Some women freeze it as well. So possibly it was a 'make a point' type of thing. In some ways the controversy that sprang up might fit well into the course plan.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Must Love Lace
People need to relax. More specifically, men need to relax. Breastfeeding is a natural thing and nothing to be ashamed of.

I don't have statistics to throw at you but my casual observation over time is it appears to be more women griping about public breastfeeding than men. Those of us (men) mature about it accept it as a natural part of healthy child raising and those of us who are immature are like, "yay! a boob!". It seems like the woman who are the most vocal on both sides - the ones speaking out against it and the ones intentionally exposing everything to be 'in your face' about it so they can prove to the world nursing a baby is a natural thing. It seems like women - perhaps ones who have been brought up that you never ever expose your breasts - are the most vocal about the whole, "That's shameful and you should not be doing it!" routine.

I could be wrong of course. I'm just saying that is how it seems to me.

Conservative Citizen

10,175 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
Normally I wouldn't really condone breast feeding in front of a class, but... in this case, I have to say leave the poor woman and her child alone. She said she kept her private bits pretty well concealed and doubted anyone saw them. Also, yes, she could have used a sick or personal day, but with the wording the source uses, it makes me think this lecture was a very vital one that she didn't want to have to miss giving. It shows she's very dedicated to her career despite being a single mother, making a great future for her child. I'd definitely give her a pass here. She was doing what she felt she had to for her child, her career AND her class. THAT'S dedication.
David2074
Must Love Lace
People need to relax. More specifically, men need to relax. Breastfeeding is a natural thing and nothing to be ashamed of.

I don't have statistics to throw at you but my casual observation over time is it appears to be more women griping about public breastfeeding than men. Those of us (men) mature about it accept it as a natural part of healthy child raising and those of us who are immature are like, "yay! a boob!". It seems like the woman who are the most vocal on both sides - the ones speaking out against it and the ones intentionally exposing everything to be 'in your face' about it so they can prove to the world nursing a baby is a natural thing. It seems like women - perhaps ones who have been brought up that you never ever expose your breasts - are the most vocal about the whole, "That's shameful and you should not be doing it!" routine.

I could be wrong of course. I'm just saying that is how it seems to me.

No, I know what you're talking about. There are those women too. It's sad really. That's how they were brought up, to be ashamed of their bodies and be subservient to the "morals" of society. Too often women compete with eachother instead of support eachother. It's sucks xp that's why almost all of my friends are guys.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Phallic Wonderland
Love Muffin88
xdivision_whitey

Because someone smart enough to be in front of a whole class giving a lecture is going to wipe a baby's nose and clean a baby's puke without maintaining some form of sanitation.

Really small babies are not just 9lb. sack of ick waiting to contaminate someone. That baby is probably safe because breast milk contains thousands of components to protect the baby's immune system.
If that were so, then why was it sick? Its infection could easily be passed on to the students, and it is their safety which is of greater concern. Plus, if this baby is only 9 lbs at over a year old, something is seriously wrong with it.

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Ratttking
Phallic Wonderland
Love Muffin88
xdivision_whitey

If that were so, then why was it sick? Its infection could easily be passed on to the students, and it is their safety which is of greater concern. Plus, if this baby is only 9 lbs at over a year old, something is seriously wrong with it.

I didn't know the babys age. Anyways, it's not like the baby is being passed around.

Slumbering Tengu

I've got nothing against breastfeeding
It's not something I've ever seen in public (given mostly to where I live)
but her job as a teacher is try and minimize distractions when possible
I'm one of those highly dis-tractable people, anything from a bouncing leg to mumbling bothers me
When people make elaborate hand distractions, my attention on what they're saying goes poof
Coupled together with the fact that the baby was sick and her students had chances of catching it
I don't think it was a very wise idea to even bring the kid to her class in the first place
but even if she had to bring it, pumping milk before-hand could have been done
as the TA in the class kept an eye over the baby this could minimize distractions best as possible

If it was only the first day of class so I doubt the students would have cared otherwise
It was an easy day more then likely and what didn't need to be an issue become one
I'm not trying to point fingers or something saying that it sounds planned
but well, the more I read it the more it sounds that way

She is comfortable with breastfeeding, good for her
some people might not be and she should have shown respect for that as a teacher
Just because it was a feminist class doesn't mean that everyone will share her viewpoint
My personal opinion is that you never know so best not to try to step on people's toes
Teachers are looked at to be highly professional when at work teaching class
I wouldn't want my Biology teacher to bring in his dog to lecture to prove a point either
What if students are allergic? What if students have phobias? You never know

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Phallic Wonderland
Ratttking
Phallic Wonderland
Love Muffin88
xdivision_whitey

I didn't know the babys age. Anyways, it's not like the baby is being passed around.
Didn't you read the article?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces