Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Smoker

Prison inmate who killed convicted child molester gets 3rd life sentence

SC prison inmate gets 3rd life sentence

Quote:
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - A South Carolina inmate has been sentenced to a third life sentence in the death and mutilation of his cellmate.

Prosecutor Donnie Myers said in a news release that 35-year-old John New was sentenced last week. Court records show he pleaded guilty and had been charged with murder.

New was already serving two life sentences related to a 1999 prison riot when he was charged with murder in 2011.

Authorities said they got a call about a stabbing and found the mutilated body of 49-year-old Ricky Cooper near a shower at McCormick Correctional Institution. The word “pervert” was written on the convicted child molester’s head.

Cooper began serving a 20-year sentence in 2009 for sexually assaulting minors. Authorities said he had been strangled with string.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/20/sc-prison-inmate-gets-3rd-life-sentence/#ixzz3GiEV9QKt
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

http://www.thestate.com/2014/10/17/3751683_state-prison-inmate-gets-3rd-life.html?rh=1
Quote:
McCORMICK COUNTY, SC — Eleventh Circuit Solicitor Donnie Myers said a state inmate has been given a third life sentence, which he characterized as “a pine box.”

John Michael New, 35, allegedly confessed to strangling and mutilating the body of his McCormick Correctional Institute cellmate, 49-year-old Ricky Cooper, in November 2011, Myers said in a news release on Friday. The Graniteville man was serving time for sexually assaulting minors.

“The manner of death, mutilation, and the condition of Cooper’s body were absolutely horrific,” Myers said of the Cooper murder.

New, already serving two life sentences stemming from a 1999 incident at the Lee Correctional Institution, was sentenced to a third life sentence by Circuit Judge Howard King.

Cooper’s body was found in his cell.

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/2014/10/17/3751683_state-prison-inmate-gets-3rd-life.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy
This tends to be a problem. Keep child molesters out of jail and they molest children. Keep them in, and other people in prison can't stand them.

Tipsy Smoker

Moral Gutpunch
This tends to be a problem. Keep child molesters out of jail and they molest children. Keep them in, and other people in prison can't stand them.
There seems to be a spike in this type of crime recently, which I can't complain about.

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
*facepalm* In other words, nobody cares, so let's give him a completely meaningless punishment. Please tell me he at least had some privileges revoked. Child molester or not, you CAN'T just let inmates murder one another. Call me a cold-hearted monster all you'd like, but I don't believe in vigilantism. Convicted child molesters in prison should be watched and protected more closely, since this seems to be a big issue. I don't CARE how terrible their crime was. You can't just throw up your hands and say, "Eh, they were an a*****e anyway." Even if you care little for precedent and consistency, look at it this way; if a child molester knows that prison is pretty much a terrible death sentence for them, what's to stop them from taking drastic measures to stay out? More drastic than they otherwise might have, since they have nothing to lose. Like, say, KILLING the child they molested, so there are no witnesses.

But who needs to consider THAT sort of thing when it feels so much better to cheer on his death? Let's go ahead and give the killer a medal, while we're at it. After all, making emotional decisions within the criminal justice system has worked out so well for us!
Ringoringa
Call me a cold-hearted monster all you'd like, but I don't believe in vigilantism.

This doesn't even sound like vigilanteism to me. It sounds like he just wanted to get away with murder.
Ringoringa
*facepalm* In other words, nobody cares, so let's give him a completely meaningless punishment. Please tell me he at least had some privileges revoked. Child molester or not, you CAN'T just let inmates murder one another. Call me a cold-hearted monster all you'd like, but I don't believe in vigilantism. Convicted child molesters in prison should be watched and protected more closely, since this seems to be a big issue. I don't CARE how terrible their crime was. You can't just throw up your hands and say, "Eh, they were an a*****e anyway." Even if you care little for precedent and consistency, look at it this way; if a child molester knows that prison is pretty much a terrible death sentence for them, what's to stop them from taking drastic measures to stay out? More drastic than they otherwise might have, since they have nothing to lose. Like, say, KILLING the child they molested, so there are no witnesses.

But who needs to consider THAT sort of thing when it feels so much better to cheer on his death? Let's go ahead and give the killer a medal, while we're at it. After all, making emotional decisions within the criminal justice system has worked out so well for us!

Because if they just ******** the child, they get out in months/low years, if they kill it they'll get a much larger sentence, possibly even in the decades.

They have the same reason we all have not to commit crimes, except we don't ******** kids.

Gaian

King Seth
Ringoringa

Because if they just ******** the child, they get out in months/low years, if they kill it they'll get a much larger sentence, possibly even in the decades.

They have the same reason we all have not to commit crimes, except we don't ******** kids.
That doesn't even BEGIN to justify such a heinous murder. NO ONE deserves tobe murdered in cold blood, not that child molester, not the murdering b*****d who killed him, NO ONE. Point blank period.

Tipsy Smoker

Lulamoon Sage
King Seth
Ringoringa

That doesn't even BEGIN to justify such a heinous murder. NO ONE deserves tobe murdered in cold blood, not that child molester, not the murdering b*****d who killed him, NO ONE. Point blank period.
Except in some people's eyes, yes he does.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Chahklet
Lulamoon Sage
King Seth
Ringoringa

Except in some people's eyes, yes he does.

Child molesters used to receive the death penalty for their crimes. It's a pity they changed the law, and I won't shed a tear for this a*****e's death.
Lulamoon Sage
King Seth
Ringoringa

The only reason we can put people in prison is because we have an abundance of resources, we have the space to put them and the extra food to feed them. Now imagine what we would do if I killed someone and we had no place to sequester me and no food to feed me once I stopped working. Hell I don't even have to be a killer, just imagine every time someones not looking at me, I run away and rape someone and you had nowhere to put me where I could not get out.

Not that i'm advocating murder, but you can clearly see our ideas of Justice and right and wrong are heavily conditioned by the resources we have available.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
If I were a good person, I'd probably be aghast at this 'heinous' murder. But I'm not a good person. It's a win win if ever I saw one. Lifer never getting out, child molester that likely would have gotten out (due to appeals, shortened sentence, etc) can never harm another child again. Win. ********. Win.

Seriously, child molestation and rape need to be able to get the death penalty. Those that commit such crimes rarely reform. Most just get out and commit the same crimes, sometimes worse (they add murder to it all because a dead victim can't talk as far as they are concerned). They are an extremely dangerous type of defective, the kind that knows what they do is wrong, but doesn't care, does it anyway, will do all they can to cover it up, and if given the chance, will do it again and again until caught. They don't care they are hurting others, that they ruin lives, that their victims will never feel safe again. They just want what they want, they'll do all they can to get it, and they'll work around any boundary you place on them, because they are sick ******** who get off to this s**t. They like the control. They like the fantasy they play out. Meds, castration, therapy. You could spend millions, it doesn't change them. It just makes them more cautious. For them, it's a waiting game. One moment when they aren't being watched like a hawk, one slip up, one handler not minding their a**, and they do it again.

So no, I really can't bring myself to feel bad when one of these animals gets killed because of what they've done. Because I know they are at serious risk of doing it again if and when they get out. They are a constant threat to society. And I honestly feel that in some ways, the crimes they commit are worse than murder. At least the victim doesn't have to live in fear and be judged all the time if they are dead. They don't have to be judged by society, "Well why didn't they say something to someone?" "What were they wearing?" "Why didn't they cry out for help?" "Why didn't they go to the police first thing?" "Why didn't they fight back?" "Did they say no?". They don't have to live in fear, wondering "will they come back? Will this happen again? Am I ever going to be safe?" So I don't feel pity for sick ******** like that dude being brutally murdered in their cell. If anything, that lifer saved some people a lot of pain and at least gave others the peace of mind that their attacker would NEVER be coming back. But as I said, I'm not a good person. Good people don't think like that, do they?

lastborntripletmack's Significant Otter

Popular Seeker

37,665 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Simple Romantic 50
How the heck did he get something to stab the other prisoner with after he strangled him. I am sure prisoners are not allow weapons.

Undead Enchantress

Maybe that guy would just rack up some in house record for number of life sentences received post incarceration.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
FirstBornTriplet
How the heck did he get something to stab the other prisoner with after he strangled him. I am sure prisoners are not allow weapons.

Google shivs and shanks and all will be answered. Inmates are nothing if not extremely inventive with making weaponry to kill each other with. You can make one out of a comb by snapping off the bristles and sharpening the plastic against the metal of your bed. Spoons, toothbrushes, crucifixes (I s**t you not, they've made crucishanks), pencils, pens, bits of metal broken off the bed, springs straightened out, zip ties, nails, screws, razors, the earpiece from glasses, lighters...hell, one inventive dude made a dart gun out of rolled up newspapers and paperclips. If it's sturdy and can be sharpened, it will be. They will always find a way. And that's not even covering the actually already sharp s**t they sometimes snatch while under supervision. Knives from the mess hall, scissors from the barber, chisels from the shop. They get s**t smuggled in, too. Then there's stuff you can snap in two to get a pointy result, like broom handles. If done properly, you can likely roll up bookbindings in such a way that you can get a few well placed blows in before it no longer serves it's purpose. These guys and gals have a lot of time on their hands. Spending a year banging out a tiny sliver of metal into something flat and sharp, or sharpening the end of a toothbrush or comb. it's all just another way to pass the time and make something to get some cred or climb the social hierarchy. And it's usually made out of things that we can't deny the prisoners without being accused of not seeing to their basic hygienic/living needs.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Erynne
Maybe that guy would just rack up some in house record for number of life sentences received post incarceration.

Some do do that. They really have nothing to lose. There's only so much the prison system can take away from them without being accused as neglectful and inhumane. They're happy with 3 square meals a day and an hour of exercise. What do they care? They got life already. Not like they can withhold medical care, food, and the right to shower. Not if they don't want to risk the prisoner getting a lesser sentence after suing for abuse by the prison system. And hey, if you are a lifer, it can work in your favor. All that cred for killing baby rapers can get you some respect and a night's sleep unmolested. Then again, if you get too much cred, you paint a big ol target on your back for lower ranks to try and kill yer a** so they can rise through the ranks and get protection too, so I guess keeping the numbers low is probably in their best interest as well. 'Tis a delicate balance when it comes to killing people in prison.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff