Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
As far as medical mix-ups go, it's a horrifying one. In October 2011, a 32-year-old woman underwent an operation at Queen's Hospital outside of London; Maria De Jesus was suffering from appendicitis and needed to have her appendix removed. Instead, her right ovary was taken out, and De Jesus, who was 21 weeks pregnant with her fourth child at the time, ended up dying roughly three weeks later. The case is now in front of a medical tribunal, which is weighing the medical fates of the two doctors involved, then-trainee surgeon Dr. Yahya Al-Abed, and Dr. Babatunde Coker, who was supposed to be supervising him.

During the Oct. 23 surgery, De Jesus began to bleed "quite heavily. ... In the midst of this, Mr. Al-Abed removed what he clearly believed to be the appendix. He thought he found it, removed it, and gave to a nurse what later turned out to be Patient A's ovary," the tribunal heard. Coker, who was eating lunch at the time, was never summoned, nor was he aware the surgery was taking place. The mistake wasn't uncovered until much later.

The Telegraph reports that De Jesus returned to the hospital in severe pain on Nov. 7; two days later another doctor realized she still had her appendix, and the next day she went into surgery to have it actually removed. Instead, she died on the OR table, having earlier delivered a stillborn boy. Her cause of death was ruled as multiple organ failure due to septicemia. The Press Association reports the hearing will likely last a month.

3 years!?

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Isn't an anatomy course required if you want to be a medical professional? Because apparently someone must not have paid attention when they were going over the reproductive system.

Liberal Gaian

9,750 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Team Jacob 100
How the hell do you mistake an ovary with an appendix?! I say the guy who performed the first surgery be charged with malpractice and manslaughter. and I am not sure about the other doctor who was supposed to be supervising him. Need more info.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Honey of the South
Isn't an anatomy course required if you want to be a medical professional? Because apparently someone must not have paid attention when they were going over the reproductive system.

Yep.

Lionheart

11,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Profitable 100
Not a shock. Though people praise our country's medical system for being free, I can tell you that i'd rather pay and get a competent doctor, than not pay and get a ******** butcher. It's not the first horrendous act of incompetency to happen, and it certainly will not be the last.

The NHS has been ******** slashed to ribbons economically, the medical staff are either incompetent or overworked, and it's quickly getting to the point where people would probably rather go to Haiti and take their chances with a witch doctor.
Anyone else notice that on her second trip, even though they KNEW she still had her appendix, they scheduled the surgery for the NEXT ******** DAY????
How in the hell is THAT doctor not being investigated? Coker is being investigated because he was eating lunch and didn't know that the other guy was operating?
Seems that they have the same quality investigating as...well...operating. It'll be the janitors fault at this rate.

Satisfied Gorilla - x's Partner In Crime

Shadowy Explorer

17,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Marathon 300
I'm so speechless right now..

Fluffy Fatcat

11,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Heckler 50
Honey of the South
''Hey guys, anyone up for a game of Amateur Surgeon?" emotion_facepalm #SARCASM emotion_awesome Anyway, I think there is an anatomy couse required for a job like this. Besides, how the hell does one manage to louse THIS up?! Not only does this depend on where the ovaries are located, (they can be closer to the front or back). They also look different! emotion_facepalm In most cases, an inflamed appendix is BIGGER than a fallopian tube.

Sexy Assailant

I hope those so-called 'doctors' get the book thrown at them. Both literally and figuratively. How do you mix them up?
anybody with half a brain knows what an ovary is

Blessed Hunter

8,550 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Magical Girl 50
This is Why I Hate and Scared of Doctors and Hospitals eek

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
Having seen a picture of my very own appendix and its neighboring ovary, I'm confused as to how you could actually mistake the two for one another. It just doesn't look like an ovary, unless the ovaries you've been looking at are super ******** up.

Distinct Giver

Communication is a big problem everywhere! No one wants to speak up and be the one to piss off someone. As unfortunate as it is to say this, nurses are basically the keepers of doctors and patients. The patients' nurse should have caught this and firmly, and repetitively questioned the doctor and contacted the charge nurse.

Nyadriel's King

Apocalyptic Shapeshifter

49,200 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Brick Breaker 50
  • Waffles! 25
Karuoko
Communication is a big problem everywhere! No one wants to speak up and be the one to piss off someone. As unfortunate as it is to say this, nurses are basically the keepers of doctors and patients. The patients' nurse should have caught this and firmly, and repetitively questioned the doctor and contacted the charge nurse.

Only for her to lose her job I bet.

In any case, it sounds like somebody's education isn't up to par. And yes, he should have been supervised - and not by the nurse. By his superior who SHOULD have been in there.

Distinct Giver

Lord Elwrind
Karuoko

Only for her to lose her job I bet.

In any case, it sounds like somebody's education isn't up to par. And yes, he should have been supervised - and not by the nurse. By his superior who SHOULD have been in there.

Which I understand! He should've been supervised by his superior. What I am saying is yes the idiot should have had the common sense and basic knowledge of anatomy, but I would not be surprised if the patients' nurse is also dragged into the court circus because she/he is responsible for that patient until they are in the OR. They monitor and read the patient (information, consent etc.) As the nurse, we are suppose to catch every little nuance/change when it comes to the patient, usually there is at least 1 nurse in the OR. If a doctor orders too much medication for a patient and nurse administers without catching it, the doctor doesn't get in trouble, the nurse is the one being hounded by lawyers. Apparently, the nurse did not advocate on behalf of their patient before/after or even when they came back for surgery (even if it was a different nurse). I am damn sure whoever was in that OR should've caught the mistake when he handed over the wrong organ and reported the incompetence.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff