Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Which of these terms do you use to refer to this plant?

Pot 0.17647058823529 17.6% [ 9 ]
Weed 0.43137254901961 43.1% [ 22 ]
Marijuana 0.19607843137255 19.6% [ 10 ]
Buds 0.019607843137255 2.0% [ 1 ]
Trees 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Mary Jane 0.07843137254902 7.8% [ 4 ]
Cannabis 0.058823529411765 5.9% [ 3 ]
Tea 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Grass 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Other, please post 0.03921568627451 3.9% [ 2 ]
Total Votes:[ 51 ]
1 2 3 >

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
ABC News link
Quote:

The new law took effect at 12:01 a.m., despite last-minute maneuvers by Republican leaders in Congress and threats that city leaders could face prison time. Democratic Mayor Muriel Bowser, who took office in January, said it was her duty to implement the initiative city voters approved overwhelmingly in November.

"This is a major milestone on the road to ending marijuana prohibition in the United States," said Robert Capecchi of the Marijuana Policy Project, which advocates for legalization. "If the president can brew and drink beer in the White House, adults should be allowed to grow and consume a less harmful substance in their houses."

Possession of up to 2 ounces of pot for use at home is now legal, and people are also permitted to grow up to three mature plants. Smoking marijuana in public remains illegal, as does buying or selling the drug.

On Tuesday, Alaska also implemented a voter initiative legalizing the private use, sharing and cultivation of recreational pot, but lawmakers there won't implement the next phase — creating a regulated market where legal marijuana can be sold and taxed — until 2016 at least.

The District's initiative, approved by 65 percent of the voters in November, only addressed personal possession, not taxation or regulation, and District leaders acknowledge that Congress blocked any effort to implement a legal marijuana market. But they believe Congress acted too late to stop legalization for private use.

Rep. Jason Chaffetz, a Utah Republican who chairs the House Oversight Committee, urged Bowser in a letter late Tuesday to reconsider. He said that the mayor and any other district employees who spend money or time implementing any aspect of the initiative could face prison time for violating federal law.

"The penalties are severe, and we're serious about this. Nobody's wishing or wanting that to happen, but the law is clear," Chaffetz told the AP.

Bowser responded sharply even as she tried to ratchet down the conflict.

"Bullying the District of Columbia is not what his constituents expect, nor do ours," Bowser said. "We do disagree on a matter of law. There are reasonable ways to resolve that without us threatening him or he us."

It would be up to the Justice Department, not Congress, to prosecute District officials, and that scenario appears unlikely. However, Congress could sue the city, and House Republicans also could retaliate by pulling federal funding for city programs.

Rep. Mark Meadows, a Republican from North Carolina, co-signed the letter to Bowser late Tuesday, which warned that by spending money to change pot laws, District officials would violate the Anti-Deficiency Act, which prohibits spending of unappropriated federal dollars. The oversight committee also demanded to see all District documents detailing money spent and time put in by city employees to implement the initiative.

No one has ever been convicted of violating the Anti-Deficiency Act, although city and federal workers and agencies have been punished administratively for violations.

Jamie Raskin, a constitutional law professor at American University, characterized the threat of criminal prosecution as "a lot of huffing and puffing on Capitol Hill."

"The real power Congress has is the power of the purse," said Raskin, who also serves as a Democratic state senator in Maryland. "They can exact their retribution financially against the District."

Congress hasn't struck down a specific city law in 25 years. Instead, members often add language to critical pieces of federal legislation to undo city policies they don't like. The language on pot was included in a spending bill President Barack Obama signed to keep the government running.

Looks like I'll be moving downtown shortly. 3nodding

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Good for DC and Alaska. I think there is a bill being considered here in Ohio. Rep. Jason Chaffetz is a moron. The PEOPLE (aka the people who put yours and others sorry carcasses in Congress) approved it, so shut it.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Darth Acheron
Good for DC and Alaska. I think there is a bill being considered here in Ohio. Rep. Jason Chaffetz is a moron. The PEOPLE (aka the people who put yours and others sorry carcasses in Congress) approved it, so shut it.
I hope this sets a precedent. DC is not thought of as a hippie sort of place like CA, CO and WA are, although it is seen as liberal . Maybe other places will finally realize that all sorts of people enjoy weed, not just the patchouli crowd. I don't hold out much hope for UT, hehe, a Zion curtain isn't going to hide smoke.

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Ratttking
Darth Acheron
I hope this sets a precedent. DC is not thought of as a hippie sort of place like CA, CO and WA are, although it is seen as liberal . Maybe other places will finally realize that all sorts of people enjoy weed, not just the patchouli crowd. I don't hold out much hope for UT, hehe, a Zion curtain isn't going to hide smoke.
Hopefully it will. If a liberal stronghold can pass a legalization law (although not as good as Colorado's) other states should have no problem. I doubt UT will ever pass a law like this either, and if there is ever a nation-wide law, I'd expect Utah to try to nullify it.

Lonely Wolf

I don't have a problem with people smoking pot, I just don't like the smell of it. Next year when it's legalized in my state, the smell will be all over the place.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
User Image

Change and justice are coming slowly but surely. First Net Neutrality, now this. What a great day.

User Image

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Serenity Of Crown Royal
I don't have a problem with people smoking pot, I just don't like the smell of it. Next year when it's legalized in my state, the smell will be all over the place.
I feel that way about auto exhaust.

Punny Skeleton

Now if only it would get legalized in SC.

I don't smoke, but I know a few people who could teach me a few things about growing it.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

Gaian

My question is, is it legal on the federal level now as well? It doesn't make sense for a thing to be legalized on the state level but still be a punishable offense on the federal level. I mean, I'll never touch the stuff myself, but for people who wanna use it recreationally, it's still a legal minefield where there's a single gigantic mine in place that happens to he made of pot.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Lulamoon Sage
My question is, is it legal on the federal level now as well? It doesn't make sense for a thing to be legalized on the state level but still be a punishable offense on the federal level. I mean, I'll never touch the stuff myself, but for people who wanna use it recreationally, it's still a legal minefield where there's a single gigantic mine in place that happens to he made of pot.
No, it is not yet legal on the federal level. DC isn't a state, btw.

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Excellent news. Looks like I'm taking that trip to DC this summer. biggrin

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
SparkyKid3000
Excellent news. Looks like I'm taking that trip to DC this summer. biggrin
Just over a day since the law changed and it's already boosting tourism. 3nodding I hope you enjoy your visit, the city is lovely even when one is sober.
Lulamoon Sage

No it's illegal on the federal level. Basically a few states + DC have decided to ignore that, so while it's technically illegal on the nationwide scale, when you're in those states and areas, they don't enforce that law and choose to allow it. It's been an interesting development for states rights advocates... + pot advocates as well lol

Now I'm not exactly sure if it's completely "risk-free" in those states, I think it is, but I guess technically an FBI federal agent could try to get you citing a federal offense in those states... but I think that they've sort of let this one go and don't consider it worth "prosecuting" in those states where it is legal. Also if just left to the local state police, for example, to prosecute this federal crime... they're just gonna let it slide in these states + DC.

Lonely Wolf

Ratttking
SparkyKid3000
Excellent news. Looks like I'm taking that trip to DC this
summer. biggrin
Just over a day since the law changed and it's already boosting tourism. 3nodding I hope you enjoy your visit, the city is lovely even when one is sober.

D.C. is lovely? LMAO! Apparently, you only visit the "Caucasian approved" areas.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Serenity Of Crown Royal
Ratttking
SparkyKid3000
Excellent news. Looks like I'm taking that trip to DC this
summer. biggrin

D.C. is lovely? LMAO! Apparently, you only visit the "Caucasian approved" areas.
Yeah, Southeast is so white it's blinding. rolleyes

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces