Welcome to Gaia! ::

Keltoi Samurai
David2074
Keltoi Samurai
David2074
Chahklet
My opinion... Don't be a criminal and expect no consequences. He obviously didn't give a ******** about anyone else life. Why should anyone care about his?

I'll start by saying I agree that lawbreakers should realize there is risk associated with their actions and accept that. It does not mean they deserved to die. It's a shame to kill someone who maybe just needed his medication. He could have held a knife at some woman's throat or something - sounds like he didn't. So maybe it was just a sad cry for attention.

IMO there is an even bigger reason for following procedures. Not every suspected criminal is actually a criminal. So look at it from the angle of would you want the cops to shoot you for doing absolutely nothing? Sure, this particular guy was obviously breaking the law. No argument there. But that is not always the case. Do you remember some months back when the cops in (I forgot which state) were trying to catch that cop killer who was headed for the hills? They shot and injured two women WHILE THEY WERE SITTING IN THEIR PICKUP because they mistakenly thought that was the pickup of the cop killer even though it was a different color / different license plate. I believe I also read that same morning (almost the same time) they shot some other guy's vehicle for the same reason but at least that guy was not injured - just his truck.

Those people were not law breakers. They were not even at a 'crime scene'. Their only crime was being in the same town as those over zealous cops. Situations like that are a good argument for reining in trigger happy cops.

California, and they were in a van that was not the color of the suspect's pickup truck.

They were operating off of the "logic" that if he knew they were looking for his vehicle, then he might steal a different vehicle to escape detection, so any and all vehicles on the road were to be treated as an active shooter threat, despite the fact that there were no curfews or anything keeping people that were not him from being out driving for their own lives and purposes.

Oy. I thought it was at least the same type of vehicle.

Nah. Nothing even that reasonable.

It was basically the absolute definition of a bad shoot, just minus the fatalities usually associated therein. But, it seems that due to a lack of fatalities, that Jumpy McTriggerfinger, and his partner, Officer Tweak, don't even warrant an investigation into their conduct.

Actually, there IS an investigation into this shoot, and I'd be surprised if there aren't some serious charges in short order. Maybe not for the first shooter, but the rest? Yeah,

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Old Blue Collar Joe
Keltoi Samurai
David2074
Keltoi Samurai
David2074
Chahklet
My opinion... Don't be a criminal and expect no consequences. He obviously didn't give a ******** about anyone else life. Why should anyone care about his?

I'll start by saying I agree that lawbreakers should realize there is risk associated with their actions and accept that. It does not mean they deserved to die. It's a shame to kill someone who maybe just needed his medication. He could have held a knife at some woman's throat or something - sounds like he didn't. So maybe it was just a sad cry for attention.

IMO there is an even bigger reason for following procedures. Not every suspected criminal is actually a criminal. So look at it from the angle of would you want the cops to shoot you for doing absolutely nothing? Sure, this particular guy was obviously breaking the law. No argument there. But that is not always the case. Do you remember some months back when the cops in (I forgot which state) were trying to catch that cop killer who was headed for the hills? They shot and injured two women WHILE THEY WERE SITTING IN THEIR PICKUP because they mistakenly thought that was the pickup of the cop killer even though it was a different color / different license plate. I believe I also read that same morning (almost the same time) they shot some other guy's vehicle for the same reason but at least that guy was not injured - just his truck.

Those people were not law breakers. They were not even at a 'crime scene'. Their only crime was being in the same town as those over zealous cops. Situations like that are a good argument for reining in trigger happy cops.

California, and they were in a van that was not the color of the suspect's pickup truck.

They were operating off of the "logic" that if he knew they were looking for his vehicle, then he might steal a different vehicle to escape detection, so any and all vehicles on the road were to be treated as an active shooter threat, despite the fact that there were no curfews or anything keeping people that were not him from being out driving for their own lives and purposes.

It was basically the absolute definition of a bad shoot, just minus the fatalities usually associated therein. But, it seems that due to a lack of fatalities, that Jumpy McTriggerfinger, and his partner, Officer Tweak, don't even warrant an investigation into their conduct.

Actually, there IS an investigation into this shoot, and I'd be surprised if there aren't some serious charges in short order. Maybe not for the first shooter, but the rest? Yeah,

Actually, I was saying in the California case, not the case in Toronto. In the California case, where the manhunt for Chris Dorner lead to the police shooting at multiple vehicles, there was a payout to the ladies delivering papers, but no criminal charges or investigation or disciplinary action taken against the officers who were shooting at essentially every vehicle on the road.

After some reading, I've discovered I was wrong about a van being involved, but it seems neither vehicle shot at matched make, model or color, nor were any of the victims ( a white man and two elderly Hispanic women ) in any way visually similar to Dorner ( a black man ), and the police defend both their shooting at any pickup truck they fancied and of opting to burn Dorner's cabin down with him trapped inside, rather than trying to take him into custody ( from the way they were reacting to trucks, specifically, ramming them from ambush and opening fire, it seems their plan all along was to kill rather than to capture )
Keltoi Samurai
Old Blue Collar Joe
Keltoi Samurai
David2074
Keltoi Samurai

Actually, I was saying in the California case, not the case in Toronto. In the California case, where the manhunt for Chris Dorner lead to the police shooting at multiple vehicles, there was a payout to the ladies delivering papers, but no criminal charges or investigation or disciplinary action taken against the officers who were shooting at essentially every vehicle on the road.

After some reading, I've discovered I was wrong about a van being involved, but it seems neither vehicle shot at matched make, model or color, nor were any of the victims ( a white man and two elderly Hispanic women ) in any way visually similar to Dorner ( a black man ), and the police defend both their shooting at any pickup truck they fancied and of opting to burn Dorner's cabin down with him trapped inside, rather than trying to take him into custody ( from the way they were reacting to trucks, specifically, ramming them from ambush and opening fire, it seems their plan all along was to kill rather than to capture )

Well, at least it proves they weren't by damn racially profiling Dorner!! THAT would be even worse!! Why in the ******** didn't they shoot at some Asians, too? Maybe they remembered Koreatown during the last riot when they shot back?

Distinct Raider

Old Blue Collar Joe
Keltoi Samurai
David2074
Keltoi Samurai
David2074
Chahklet

Investigation? Yes

Charges? Iffy

Whenever an officer fires his gun in Ontario, SIU (Special investigations unit) is called into investigate. Unfortunately SIU has no actual pull over the police force, so they cannot ask for the officer's notes, or bring him in for interrogation if he should chose not to co-operate. SIU also cannot compel the police force to make the officer co-operate.

All in all, if the Officer and the force remain tight-lipped and refuse to hand over evidence, then SIU has nothing to back their charges. Sad to say this happens a lot.
Scarred Secrets
Alexander J Luthor
Why the hell would they taze him AFTER pumping him full of lead?

...maybe they were trying to get an overkill bonus?

*sigh* From what I've read, the kid should have never been shot at. Aren't police taught how to disarm someone brandishing a knife? I mean...it was a knife and he had no hostage, they coulda just tased him to begin with...not after they already shot him 9 times. :/
Or just shot him once in the leg or something to disable him. I mean really....

Eloquent Lunatic

10,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
Well.....that escalated quickly.

I can remember a particular case where a guy was threatening people with a Katana, and the police subdued him with beanbag rounds. As far as I know, they're told to take extra steps before resorting to lethal violence.
Lord Akhenaton
Reverb Song
Lord Akhenaton
Reverb Song
Lord Akhenaton

The man was wielding a knife. That is a deadly weapon that will make someone bleed out faster than any pistol caliber bullet. It's the attackers fault that he died, not the cop's.

Simply having it does not warrant a threat, also take into account the person holding it uses and how the person approaching it actually approaches it. Your mindset "It's a knife, it can kill" is not enough to warrant a killing shot. That's literally your argument and it's week.

The cops assessed shooting was the appropriate answer, they pulled the trigger, they shoot some more and than tazed the kid. Yeah, common sense dictates it's their fault the kid is dead.

Then you gamble with your life in that mentality.

Welcome to the police force?

Officers are entitled to protect themselves just as much as any civilian.

You're being thick if you are not getting my point, because if you were you would not be replying with these non nonsensical responses.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff