Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
Henry Smith, a developer from Bristol, was reported to the police by his landlord for the diagrams of his new project

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

A British games developer’s letting agency called the police after mistaking diagrams of his new game for a planned thermonuclear attack on Washington.

Henry Smith is a software engineer from Bristol working on a game called “Global Thermonuclear War”, which uses Google Maps to simulate an atomic conflict between nations. Smith was planning out the game using whiteboards in his home when his letting agent made a pre-arranged visit.

A few days later, the agent rang, Smith says, and told him that “the person who did the inspection did have some concerns about one thing. There were some … whiteboards? And some … drawings on them?”

Although Smith believed he assuaged the agents’ fears by explaining that the sketches were plans for a game, he received a follow-up email the next week informing him that the matter had been referred to the local police.

“At first I was ridiculously frightened by the whole thing,” he told the Guardian. “When they said they’d told the police I absolutely bricked it. I ran home to check if the police had raided the house or something. It was definitely very frightening to think that the police had a report in their system alleging that I was up to something suspicious involving nuclear warheads. Knowing how the police here deal with suspected terrorists, I was worried they’d do a dawn raid or worse. It was genuinely scary for a while.”

Police called on video game developer over 'Global Thermonuclear War' plans

Wintry Dragon

That did look a little suspicious. xd

Did the police find the group of kidnapped scientists in his basement?

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
Clearly someone has never seen WarGames.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
rofl You have to wonder what police would think if they saw some writer's search histories. "I'm not a serial killer, I'm a writer." "I'm not a terrorist, I'm a video game developer." "I'm not a spy, I'm writing a novel." xd

Divine Muse

Letting agencies are like Landlords, right?

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
This is why we need fewer laws and more common sense.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Just imagine if he had been playing Battleship...

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
1. That white board shows what appears to be an ICBM attack.
The average "terrorist" does not have intercontinental missiles.

2. Smith was planning out the game using whiteboards in his home when his letting agent made a pre-arranged visit.

PRE-ARRANGED VISIT.

So, the landlord, and apparently the cops, believed this guy was somehow smart enough to plan an ICBM attack but somehow dumb enough for it not to occur to him to cover up his Dr. Evil whiteboard when he knew he had outsiders coming to visit.

I'm glad those cops don't know how many ammo clips I've gone through in FarCry 2
Lolll, this is prettttty hilarious, I must say!

Beloved Agent

13,925 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • Object of Affection 150
Malee
Clearly someone has never seen WarGames.

YES! That is EXACTLY what I was thinking! rofl

"A strange game, Professor Falken. The only way to win is not to play!"

Raider

I think he made the right choice calling the police, you never know what could happen, at the end of the day it was a good laugh for everyone lol

Masterful Dabbler

12,075 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
This is hilarious, and there are many good responses here as well.

Well, if you inspected my studio you would wonder a few things as well...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff