Welcome to Gaia! ::

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Quote:

Pizza Hut, the country’s largest pizza chain, seems to be losing favor with American diners. The 56-year-old pizza restaurant’s same-store sales in the U.S. have fallen for seven consecutive quarters as competitors Domino’s (DPZ) and Papa John’s (PZZA) have seen sales increase.

“We’re obviously disappointed with second-quarter results and particularly with the very poor performance in our U.S. business,” David Novak, the chief executive of parent company Yum! Brands (YUM), said of Pizza Hut during an earnings call in July. “We’ve had our ebbs and flows vs. the competition over the years, and I can assure you we will be back,” Novak told investors.

Pizza Hut remains the largest pizza chain in the U.S. by far, with more than 7,800 restaurants—it continues to add more locations. But, says Darren Tristano, executive vice president at research firm Technomic, as quick-service competitors such as Papa John’s, Domino’s, and Little Caesars cut into Pizza Hut’s U.S. business, new fast-casual, made-to-order pizza concepts are also expected to steal market share.

Pizza Hut’s recent menu launches—such as Crazy Cheesy Crust pizza, three cheese stuffed crust pizza, and Blake Shelton-endorsed BBQ sauce pizza—have failed to improve results.

The chain is focused heavily on China, where it is developing Pizza Hut as a more upscale casual dining restaurant rather than as a delivery and takeout joint. It now has 1,134 sit-down locations in China—where sales are increasing—and just 215 delivery shops. In the U.S., only 14 percent of Pizza Hut’s business is dine-in.

Pizza Hut spokesman Doug Terfehr says China has not been a distraction. “Both our domestic and international businesses are incredibly important to the health of our brand,” he said in an e-mail. “As we’ve matured around the world, we’ve developed dedicated resources to handle that growth without wavering on our commitments to our business here.”

Terfehr cited recent efforts, such as a dessert partnership with Hershey that kicked off with an 8-inch cookie, the addition of equipment to all Pizza Hut restaurants to serve Wing Street chicken, and updating its website and app this spring as major turnaround efforts.

Bigger changes are on the way. Novak told investors that Pizza Hut will “launch a number of major initiatives in the United States to reignite sales beginning in the fourth quarter,” including plans to boost millennial-targeted advertising and digital marketing and a greater focus on value.

Source

Hope one of those changes is bringing back the offer where you could order four mini pizzas and order a different topping for each one. I hated when they stopped that.
Mmm pizza mrgreen

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Good. ******** Pizza Hut.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Haven't had pizza hut in ages. For us now it's either Domino's or the local pizza place that actually delivers to our house.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
My favorite is Perry's Pizza.

I also doubt PH is having enough problems to cause it any real worry.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Omnipresent Warlord

Whenever I get pizza hut it's usually way too salty and overcooked so I stopped ordering from there. Miss the cheap prices, though.

11,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
I prefer Papa John's pizza. The last time I had Pizza hut pizza was almost 10 years ago.

Aekea Explorer

12,950 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Pizza Hut pizza while good on occasion also had this sweet after taste to it that wasn't pleasant.

Magical Waffles

48,100 Points
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Fusion Expert 300
  • Cool Cat 500
Our Pizza Hut is finally getting remodeled which it needs but it is at the cost that it is losing it's dine-in section. Even if it had it's issues it was one of the few restaurants you could reserve for parties around here,

Lavish Husband

That particular food chain is pretty bad imo.

They put too much salt and garlic on their food and if gives me massive heartburn.

Papa Johns all the way.

Bucktoothed Otaku

19,450 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Dressed Up 200
For me, PH pizzas doesn't have that 'zing' compared to the other two.. and their toppings don't mix well either.

IRL Cupcake

22,675 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
i love Pizza Hut! but they need to open a location near me and i'd go there like every other week. the closest one is like a 20-25 minute drive, and frankly, there's a pizza take-out in walking distance that isn't half bad.

honestly, i live in a college town, and they could have a ton more business if they'd open up nearby. location location location. :/

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
Kaenai
i love Pizza Hut! but they need to open a location near me and i'd go there like every other week. the closest one is like a 20-25 minute drive, and frankly, there's a pizza take-out in walking distance that isn't half bad.

honestly, i live in a college town, and they could have a ton more business if they'd open up nearby. location location location. :/

I agree! I love Pizza Hut so much~~~

Well...I don't like their large pizzas so much, but I like their personal pan pizzas and bread sticks...mostly the bread sticks. blaugh

Invisible Explorer

7,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Member 100
  • Market Browser 100
Papa Johns sucks moneky balls.

JamesWN's Wife

Colorful Hourglass

Usually we have The Villa or Jet's when it comes to pizza.We haven't had Pizza Hut in ages and last time we had them the pizza was uber greasy.o.o;

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff