Welcome to Gaia! ::

Attila The Chad's Widower

Bad Boy

Chibi Halo
Because you have to remember he pretty much said the Nazis weren't Christians because he claimed they didn't believe in Jesus and since they were murderers there's no way they can be Christian like him.
There can be no Christian as great and real as he is, huh? yum_puddi Well, it's easy to understand then - it's bigotry, plain and simple. I'd give him an award for that haha. He's so odd.

Time-traveling Senshi

BOMB4Y
Chibi Halo
Because you have to remember he pretty much said the Nazis weren't Christians because he claimed they didn't believe in Jesus and since they were murderers there's no way they can be Christian like him.
There can be no Christian as great and real as he is, huh? yum_puddi Well, it's easy to understand then - it's bigotry, plain and simple. I'd give him an award for that haha. He's so odd.

Yeah and I don't get why a lot of people out there can't see that. They think that because he's a Christian and they're a Christian and they follow the same Bible that he's a good man. Then there are those who just laugh this off and say this is what A&E wanted, that they hired Phil to be Phil. These people be they the Christians or the laugh at the whole thing type think Duck Dynasty is a show about how the Robertson family shares their Christian faith with the rest of the world. They honestly buy into the fabrication that the family is wholesome and pure and can do no wrong.

What A&E bought is a show about a southern family, who claim to be hillbillies but really aren't, who somehow made millions off a simple duck call and the whacked out cast of characters who work for them. The show was supposed to be Willie and the guys at the office, kind of like how American Chopper was or how it is with the guys on Pawn Stars, American Restoration, and Counting Cars. Instead what they got was manufactured false hillbilly life because it's only the father, the uncle, and the brothers who are like that. It's obvious it's fake when the wives and grandkids don't act like they live the hillbilly life.

Attila The Chad's Widower

Bad Boy

Chibi Halo
          Yeah and I don't get why a lot of people out there can't see that. They think that because he's a Christian and they're a Christian and they follow the same Bible that he's a good man. Then there are those who just laugh this off and say this is what A&E wanted, that they hired Phil to be Phil. These people be they the Christians or the laugh at the whole thing type think Duck Dynasty is a show about how the Robertson family shares their Christian faith with the rest of the world. They honestly buy into the fabrication that the family is wholesome and pure and can do no wrong.

What A&E bought is a show about a southern family, who claim to be hillbillies but really aren't, who somehow made millions off a simple duck call and the whacked out cast of characters who work for them. The show was supposed to be Willie and the guys at the office, kind of like how American Chopper was or how it is with the guys on Pawn Stars, American Restoration, and Counting Cars. Instead what they got was manufactured false hillbilly life because it's only the father, the uncle, and the brothers who are like that. It's obvious it's fake when the wives and grandkids don't act like they live the hillbilly life.

True that. It's a lot about the ratings, obviously. People seem to like watching these things, even if it is scripted.

I don't know if the others actually believe they're wholesome adn that this is what Christians ought to be like (I know next to nothing about Christians), or if that's what most Christians are like... but I wouldn't take the dad and uncle or the rest of them too seriously, personally - some folk are just like that. I feel bad for the family somehow - they've made themselves a sideshow attraction, and well, whatever the ratings are, there will be people who will criticize them or say they're small-minded, or in this case, classless. That's really worse than this current controversy, imo, to have to live a life where people laugh at you behind your backs, or say really hard things about your faith, which you're trying to share positively, especially when you go about it in an antagonistic manner.

It's just sad.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
GunsmithKitten
Valiant Corvus
Shama_okami
Translation: the family said they would walk and A&E didn't want to lose the show's revenue.
The whole thing was one big a** publicity stunt in the first place.

Now they get the ratings, thus the sponsors, galvanized the show's primary audience, if this was intentional everything went right according to plan.

Yes. To both of you.
I mean who didn't expect him to be back on the show? But the average TV viewers are such sheeple they fall for this sort of crap over and over again.

Side note - just happens I was at someone else's house and saw part of one of the episodes. First time I've ever seen it. I didn't note anything to get all excited about or to justify the extreme amount of DD marketing crap I see in the stores. Maybe it was just a slow episode.

Time-traveling Senshi

BOMB4Y
True that. It's a lot about the ratings, obviously. People seem to like watching these things, even if it is scripted.

I don't know if the others actually believe they're wholesome adn that this is what Christians ought to be like (I know next to nothing about Christians), or if that's what most Christians are like... but I wouldn't take the dad and uncle or the rest of them too seriously, personally - some folk are just like that. I feel bad for the family somehow - they've made themselves a sideshow attraction, and well, whatever the ratings are, there will be people who will criticize them or say they're small-minded, or in this case, classless. That's really worse than this current controversy, imo, to have to live a life where people laugh at you behind your backs, or say really hard things about your faith, which you're trying to share positively, especially when you go about it in an antagonistic manner.

It's just sad.

In any one of these stories that are posted about him if you follow the link to the source there are links to other related stories. Scroll down to the comments and you'll see things like "It's refreshing to see a wholesome Christian family sharing their faith with the world on television" or "Her parents should be proud of her because they're raising a beautiful young lady of faith in a wholesome family" when talking about the show or the fact that Sadie, Willie's sixteen year old daughter, got invited to be a model during New York Fashion Week and is having her name associated with a line of teen dresses. Time and time again the majority of the "wholesome family" comments are coming from housewives in their forties who are women of faith who don't see anything wrong with them because television can't be lying to them and the show can't be scripted or fake if the word "Reality" is tacked on to it.

Their wholesome Christian family life has translated into a huge marketing gimmick with a serious book from Phil, a joke self-help book that's supposedly written by Si, a supposed "from the kitchen's of Miss Kay" cookbook, two Chia Pets, an album of them playing Christmas Carols on their duck calls, shirts, hats, mugs, and magnets and that's not even including the item that originally made them millionaires in the first place. They're a marketing scheme and in this for the money and not some wholesome Christian family.

It's like the pawn shop at the center of Pawn Stars, to give an example, my friend out in Vegas says they make most of their money off branded t-shirts and other show related merch. There's a line into the shop specifically for people who want a souvenir shirt. That's how I think it is for the Duck Commando gang. They make more money off their hoodies and hats than they do off the actual duck calls. It's all just to line their coffers.

Enduring Survivor

17,575 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
GunsmithKitten
Bokee Gngr

Actually, Racism was as bad in the North as the south and yes it was still going on for years on. This is a fact. In fact, way up into the 70's it was still an unwritten law of segregation in places in the north. Those suggesting such a thing are those who know the facts (including many northerners who have stories of their own) Also, there were lynchings in the North..of course it is not ok to talk about those... From things my northern family have told me there are even places today that require blacks to be across a river bridge after 10pm...not so in the south now.

You haven't been through much of the South, girl. I know the places where the shitkickers look for any uppity "******" to give them an excuse to start something. I know the particular old roads you don't go to, the pool halls and roadhouses where if you aren't white and southern and local, you don't walk out. I got ******** Klansmen, the real deal, as customers in the store. My own boss talks about how he loved pummeling "uppity niggers" in school.

Yea, the people up north won't talk about the lynchings, down in some parts here in Blue Ridge Mountain country, people BRAG about it!

I have grown up in the south with much of my family being born and raised in the north. I have witnessed racism etc. in all areas and history doesn't disagree with me.

Enduring Survivor

17,575 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
GunsmithKitten
Bokee Gngr

He never claimed that lynch mobs didn't exist. He was asked about his experience in the world HE LIVED IN...

So he existed on another planet as the civil rights marches, ect....

Quote:
I'm not from the North and actually the life they portray on their show is VERY MUCH like the life I grew up in. While many would find that hard to believe it is and was and still exists today.

I'm also southern born and raised, and I believe it; yet unlike you, I don't find myself eager to be an apologetic for the bullshit I've seen, heard, and experienced.

He existed on planet earth. I was not alive in the 1960's. I can say that I believe it went on but did I witness it with my own eyes? No. I find it funny too that what people jumped on was the three small exerts of the article that weren't even part of the interview but simply a pull out and bold faced section. There is so much there that people ignore b/c it has some of this in context.
Bokee Gngr
GunsmithKitten
Bokee Gngr

Actually, Racism was as bad in the North as the south and yes it was still going on for years on. This is a fact. In fact, way up into the 70's it was still an unwritten law of segregation in places in the north. Those suggesting such a thing are those who know the facts (including many northerners who have stories of their own) Also, there were lynchings in the North..of course it is not ok to talk about those... From things my northern family have told me there are even places today that require blacks to be across a river bridge after 10pm...not so in the south now.

You haven't been through much of the South, girl. I know the places where the shitkickers look for any uppity "n****r" to give them an excuse to start something. I know the particular old roads you don't go to, the pool halls and roadhouses where if you aren't white and southern and local, you don't walk out. I got ******** Klansmen, the real deal, as customers in the store. My own boss talks about how he loved pummeling "uppity niggers" in school.

Yea, the people up north won't talk about the lynchings, down in some parts here in Blue Ridge Mountain country, people BRAG about it!

I have grown up in the south with much of my family being born and raised in the north. I have witnessed racism etc. in all areas and history doesn't disagree with me.

No one's disputing racism in the north, they're disputing your whitewashing of the particularly high distinct levels in the South and especially Deep South into some gray "everyone is the same smile " neutral that simply doesn't exist.

I mean for real I have to wonder whom you think could believe such a thing. The North was founded by a bunch of Puritans, Dutch merchants, Quakers, and German farmers.
The South was settled by two different groups of slave dependent societies except for the highlands and beyond.

How the heck is this going to result in equilibrium.

Enduring Survivor

17,575 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Andy Partridge
Bokee Gngr
GunsmithKitten
Bokee Gngr

You haven't been through much of the South, girl. I know the places where the shitkickers look for any uppity "n****r" to give them an excuse to start something. I know the particular old roads you don't go to, the pool halls and roadhouses where if you aren't white and southern and local, you don't walk out. I got ******** Klansmen, the real deal, as customers in the store. My own boss talks about how he loved pummeling "uppity niggers" in school.

No one's disputing racism in the north, they're disputing your whitewashing of the particularly high distinct levels in the South and especially Deep South into some gray "everyone is the same smile " neutral that simply doesn't exist.

I mean for real I have to wonder whom you think could believe such a thing. The North was founded by a bunch of Puritans, Dutch merchants, Quakers, and German farmers.
The South was settled by two different groups of slave dependent societies except for the highlands and beyond.

How the heck is this going to result in equilibrium.

Slaves and racism are two different issues and Virginia and up further north owned slaves as well but not black slaves..Irish. So, if we're only speaking of black slaves then sure but are we going to black wash the white slavery of the north and central south?
Bokee Gngr

Slaves and racism are two different issues

Oh but they're not.
The slavery in the South, and especially especially the Deep South resulted directly in an elaborate social caste system, with race being it's defining feature. With the white upper classes using it to marginalize poor whites to some degree, but mostly hugely marginalizing the blacks. Once they were forced to end slavery the caste system continued on right into Jim Crow, the dismantling of Reconstruction, and the KKK and such groups. All to maintain the caste system, to make sure the black population stayed in it's "place".
Quote:

and Virginia and up further north

Virginia is a Southern state. Back in those times even Maryland was.
Virginia and it's surrounding areas (Delaware, Maryland and North Carolina) were based around a slightly different slave society than the Deep South (tobacco plantations instead of cotton, and they adapted it later unlike the Deep South which had it from the start). But it also came to act and behave like the Deep South as well as their political power began to erode.

Slaves in the actual factual North were few and far between, and the legislation was largely 50 years before the Civil War literally forced it to end in the South.
Quote:

owned slaves as well but not black slaves..Irish.

ahahahahah WHAT.
No, this was never a thing. Are you talking about indentured servants?? They weren't Irish, they were mostly dirt poor English, and those people predominated in the upper South not the North (the aforementioned Virginia slave culture). In fact it was the dying out of indentured servitude streams that lead to Virginia wholesale embracing slavery.
Do you mean....the immigrants who came later to the North?? ahahaha, no no no no. The Irish in the north would have resembled the social and economic position of Mexicans today. Are they slaves??
Quote:

So, if we're only speaking of black slaves then sure but are we going to black wash the white slavery of the north and central south?

Yo I'm half product of poor Catholic immigrants (as is basically anybody up here where I live), trust me. We weren't ******** slaves lol.

Enduring Survivor

17,575 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Andy Partridge
Bokee Gngr

Slaves and racism are two different issues

Oh but they're not.
The slavery in the South, and especially especially the Deep South resulted directly in an elaborate social caste system, with race being it's defining feature. With the white upper classes using it to marginalize poor whites to some degree, but mostly hugely marginalizing the blacks. Once they were forced to end slavery the caste system continued on right into Jim Crow, the dismantling of Reconstruction, and the KKK and such groups. All to maintain the caste system, to make sure the black population stayed in it's "place".
Quote:

and Virginia and up further north

Virginia is a Southern state. Back in those times even Maryland was.
Virginia and it's surrounding areas (Delaware, Maryland and North Carolina) were based around a slightly different slave society than the Deep South (tobacco plantations instead of cotton, and they adapted it later unlike the Deep South which had it from the start). But it also came to act and behave like the Deep South as well as their political power began to erode.

Slaves in the actual factual North were few and far between, and the legislation was largely 50 years before the Civil War literally forced it to end in the South.
Quote:

owned slaves as well but not black slaves..Irish.

ahahahahah WHAT.
No, this was never a thing. Are you talking about indentured servants?? They weren't Irish, they were mostly dirt poor English, and those people predominated in the upper South not the North (the aforementioned Virginia slave culture). In fact it was the dying out of indentured servitude streams that lead to Virginia wholesale embracing slavery.
Do you mean....the immigrants who came later to the North?? ahahaha, no no no no. The Irish in the north would have resembled the social and economic position of Mexicans today. Are they slaves??
Quote:

So, if we're only speaking of black slaves then sure but are we going to black wash the white slavery of the north and central south?

Yo I'm half product of poor Catholic immigrants (as is basically anybody up here where I live), trust me. We weren't ******** slaves lol.

I am speaking of the Irish slaves that were made slaves by those in Viriginia and further north.
Bokee Gngr

I am speaking of the Irish slaves that were made slaves by those in Viriginia and further north.

When did this happened and how many was there and where specifically.

Enduring Survivor

17,575 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Andy Partridge
Bokee Gngr

Early 1800's, more than black slaves and Virginia, northern states including NY, Illinois and New Jersey.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
Bokee Gngr
Andy Partridge
Bokee Gngr

Early 1800's, more than black slaves and Virginia, northern states including NY, Illinois and New Jersey.
Are you talking about indentured servants? They might have been treated badly, but it was always clear that they would eventually be free after paying their debts. It is quite different from buying and owning people from Africa with no intention of ever freeing them.

Enduring Survivor

17,575 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
AliKat1988
Bokee Gngr
Andy Partridge
Bokee Gngr

Are you talking about indentured servants? They might have been treated badly, but it was always clear that they would eventually be free after paying their debts. It is quite different from buying and owning people from Africa with no intention of ever freeing them.

There were groups of Irishmen and women (mostly women) who were hired as Indentured servants but later bought just like blacks and kept as slaves for years. This began in connection to the great Irish Hunger and the Irish having to become slaves to survive.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff