Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
Paul Ryan's radical poverty plan: scrap welfare and divert money to states

Quote:
The Republican party's intellectual guru, Wisconsin congressman Paul Ryan, has proposed a radical experiment to scrap federal welfare benefits – such as food stamps, housing assistance and childcare – and divert the funds directly to states, which would be required to come up with new models for reducing poverty.

Ryan's long-awaited plan, the result of months of traveling to some of America's most deprived communities, would do away with the safety net that has provided support to the economically disadvantaged in the US for half a century.

Instead, Ryan, the House budget committee chairman and, some believe, a potential presidential contender in 2016, argues that money from 11 federal programs should be converged into a single grant to states, which would have the power to determine how the funds are spent.

Ryan said the proposal, which he called an 'opportunity grant', would first be introduced on a pilot basis, and said the federal government would monitor and test states to measure the success of projects designed to give "customised and personalised aid" to poor people.

Republicans and Democrats began the year pledging a renewed effort to tackle poverty, although next to nothing has been done in the months since.

With Congress gridlocked and disinclined to compromise, most energy has been invested in debating the solutions to the problem, and Republicans have been reluctant, during an election year, to concede ground on what has historically been Democratic territory.

Ryan unveiled the initiative in a speech at the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative thinktank in Washington. "We spend almost $800bn on 92 federal programs each year to fight poverty," he said. "And yet the poverty rate is the highest in a generation."

He said the new, single, funding stream, which would devolve responsibility for dealing with poverty to states and local communities, would be "budget neutral", ensuring the same level of federal money is spent on tackling poverty.

"In effect, the state would say: ‘Give us some space, and we can figure this out’," Ryan said. "And the federal government would say: ‘Got it, on four conditions.'"

Those conditions include: that states spend the money on poverty programs and not, he said, "funny business"; compel people to work if they are able to; and provide more choice – with an emphasis on third-sector and private-sector provision of services aimed at lifting people out of poverty.

It would also be necessary for a federally funded body to monitor and test those programs' effectiveness.

Ryan's proposal was not entirely new, and similar ideas have been voiced by Republican contenders Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz.

The Republican vice-presidential candidate in 2012 said his idea was "very different" from the block grant raised by others. He stressed that states would need to opt in to the program, and would not be given federal funds without conditions. He said his plan involved a shift from spending money on the "symptoms" of poverty to what he called a "results-orientated system".

Ryan cast his plan as an effort to cut bureaucracy.

Asked if a state might be empowered under his proposal to deny a single mom food stamps, Ryan said the ambition was to allow for flexibility: "Maybe she needs more support for transportation. Maybe she needs more for childcare."

Ryan also lent his support to other poverty-related ideas floated by Republicans in recent months, including changing of job training programs and reform of the penal code and criminal justice system.

The second of those enjoys bipartisan support, but Democrats are mostly hostile to the Republican desire to overhaul America's federal welfare system – which, compared to other countries, is already meagre.

One much smaller idea mentioned by Ryan that does enjoy bipartisan support – and is backed by President Obama – is an expansion of the earned income tax credit for childless workers. Ryan said he would double the effective benefit to $1,005 and lower the minimum age of eligibility from 25 to 21.

In other words, "Let other people figure out a plan once I dismantle the current system."
I really wish they would do that for social security. Then every republican would be out of office.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
We would not even have to worry so much about all this if there were enough ef-ing jobs for everyone! And I mean jobs that pay well enough that people do not have to rely on assistance of any kind.

As for Social Security, don't you dare touch that! My husband and I have paid into that for many years and expect to be on the receiving end of that when our time comes! If Government had not taken money out of there to pay down the debt so many times in the past and never having returned any of that money, it would not be going broke now!

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
I like it (and I'm not a Republican). Let the states take care of their citizens. I imagine if there is a problem, they can look to the Federal Government or the overseeing body Ryan wants for assistance. Sure, some states might do better than others, but that's a good thing, since it would create competition.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I agree there should be a pilot test... in Paul Ryan's state. And every single complaint be funneled into his mailbox.

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Alexander J Luthor
I agree there should be a pilot test... in Paul Ryan's state. And every single complaint be funneled into his mailbox.

Well it would serve those people right for voting Ryan in.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
The Herald of War
Alexander J Luthor

True. I'm trying to remember who exactly he is without googling him, though. Wasn't he Romney's running mate who everyone hated, then teased about having two first names, like Ricky Bobby?

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Alexander J Luthor
The Herald of War
Alexander J Luthor

True. I'm trying to remember who exactly he is without googling him, though. Wasn't he Romney's running mate who everyone hated, then teased about having two first names, like Ricky Bobby?

Yup that's him

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
The Herald of War
Alexander J Luthor
The Herald of War
Alexander J Luthor

Yup that's him

His political plans were so terrible, how does he still have support?

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Alexander J Luthor
The Herald of War
Alexander J Luthor
The Herald of War
Alexander J Luthor

Yup that's him

I think it generally goes along with tea party supporters and whatnot...

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
The Herald of War
Alexander J Luthor
The Herald of War
Alexander J Luthor
The Herald of War
Alexander J Luthor

Yup that's him

I think it generally goes along with tea party supporters and whatnot...

I remember him agreeing with some of the more extremist views. Like, enough that I didn't like that he was trying to be second in command.

Sugary Cat

This has also been going on in the Netherlands. It's not a bad idea. I think when states have to directly pay for "welfare" (can you call it that?) they might encourage people to work faster. Yep not a bad idea at all.
I honestly like this idea. It would allow states to create programs that cater to the needs of their people. It would also allow states to create their own poverty lines. Though it would just need to be implemented very carefully. Such as, before a state can get that money they must have a plan in place for what they are going to do with it. The amount of money each state would get is also important. It should be based on the population of the state and the cost of living. If a state has more people and a higher cost of living it gets more money.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Mei tsuki7
I honestly like this idea. It would allow states to create programs that cater to the needs of their people. It would also allow states to create their own poverty lines. Though it would just need to be implemented very carefully. Such as, before a state can get that money they must have a plan in place for what they are going to do with it. The amount of money each state would get is also important. It should be based on the population of the state and the cost of living. If a state has more people and a higher cost of living it gets more money.

The way things work now in what each state gets from the Feds is ridiculous. We here in Connecticut pay our share in taxes and get so little back. New Hampshire and Texas gets the bulk of what we pay. So this idea will not help our people at all.

Demonic Bookworm

30,400 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
MiameMiame
This has also been going on in the Netherlands. It's not a bad idea. I think when states have to directly pay for "welfare" (can you call it that?) they might encourage people to work faster. Yep not a bad idea at all.
Hard to get back to work when there are no jobs, much less a job that will allow one to pay the rent and utilities as well as put food on the table.

I'm lucky to have a menial job but when looking for another one I've seen how tight the labor market is.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff