Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
The parents of a 12-year-old Florida girl who killed herself after being bullied by schoolmates filed a lawsuit Monday accusing the school system of negligence for failing to stop the torment.

Rebecca Sedwick jumped from a silo at an abandoned cement plant in Lakeland, Florida, last September after enduring months of bullying at school and online, even after switching schools, according to police reports.

The lawsuit identifies the primary bully as G.S., whom it accuses of intentional infliction of emotional distress. It also accuses Cemex Construction Materials Florida LLC of negligent maintenance of its abandoned facility.

It said G.S. used social media to tell Sedwick to "drink bleach and die," and to "go kill yourself."

"Defendant G.S.'s outrageous conduct included a Facebook posting by Defendant G.S., subsequent to Plaintiff’s decedent taking her own life that stated, "Yes ik [I know] I bullied Rebecca nd [and] she killed herself but IDGAF [I don’t give a f**k]," the lawsuit said.

The lawsuit was filed in Polk County, located between Orlando and Tampa, said Matt Morgan, the parents' lawyer.

It seeks a minimum of $15,000 from the Polk County School District for failing to protect Sedwick during the 2012-13 school year at Crystal Lake Middle School.

"Defendant school board knew or should have known that its failure to adequately and expeditiously discipline G.S. for her conduct would result in a further escalating pattern of disruptive and violent behavior which, in turn, would threaten the safety of Crystal Lake students," the lawsuit said.

Laws limiting liability for government agencies would normally cap damages to $200,000. But the lawsuit claims that its charges against the board are not covered by that cap.

G.S., 14, and a 12-year-old girl were arrested in October and charged with felony aggravated stalking in her death. The charges were later dropped.

The parents of G.S. could not be reached for comment.

The sheriff's investigation found Sedwick suffered from family troubles that contributed to her mental state, according to media reports.

Representatives of the school board and Cemex USA said on Monday they have not yet been served with the lawsuit.

Got to wonder why charges were dropped

Shy Fairy

19,550 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Fusion Apprentice 100
  • Timid 100
Kids these days just feel no remorse anymore for their actions smh

Shy Friend

12,475 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Cute 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
Boy I just don't understand kids these days. The kind of dedication to hunt a person down online to harass them is just ridiculous. These kids just have too much time on their hands. They shouldn't treat that poor girl that way. Bullying was bad back when I was in high school but it seems like after I got into college it just got worse. There is even college campus bullying. But high school bullying seems to be the absolute worst out there. Why are kids so damn mean to each other? I mean being a little mean sucks but since when did these kids get so harsh on each other? These new bullies are so mean and cruel it's insane. I mean bullying has always been around but in recent years it seems like kids get badly beaten up and their things stolen from them. Harassed online and pressured to kill themselves. I'd like to know why children these days are so cruel to each other. We've always had mean kids from every generation in the present and the past but I would really like to know why newer kids have become so evil and heartless.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Lydia_Shadowfire14

Which is why I think the parents of the girl should be suing the kids and their parents and not just the school.

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
Nyadriel
Lydia_Shadowfire14

Which is why I think the parents of the girl should be suing the kids and their parents and not just the school.

Especially since it seemed so much of it occurred online. Schools don't monitor kids online activities during school or after school because it's not their job. And if they did parents would freak the hell out.
Malee
Nyadriel
Lydia_Shadowfire14

Especially since it seemed so much of it occurred online. Schools don't monitor kids online activities during school or after school because it's not their job. And if they did parents would freak the hell out.

And yet kids are disciplined at school for things they post online. But only if it's something against their staff. They seem to care more about their teachers than students.

Lonely Streaker

What the actual ********. The girls who bullied her deserve to do time.
Quote:
The sheriff's investigation found Sedwick suffered from family troubles that contributed to her mental state, according to media reports.

This is the most telling line in the entire thing and leads me to believe that they are simply deflecting blame and wanting a scape goat.
'Tracking someone down' online? It's called facebook and might take two minutes. They also have an ignore/block button to stop people from communicating with you, and a parent who is worth two shits will actually monitor their kids activities on line.
Punishing the bullies? The stalking charges were dropped because NO ONE said anything to them about it, so there is no 'stalking'.
Yeah, she committed suicide. But blaming the others for her death is pretty much like blaming Budweiser for alcoholics who get DUI's.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Old Blue Collar Joe
Quote:

This is the most telling line in the entire thing and leads me to believe that they are simply deflecting blame and wanting a scape goat.
'Tracking someone down' online? It's called facebook and might take two minutes. They also have an ignore/block button to stop people from communicating with you, and a parent who is worth two shits will actually monitor their kids activities on line.
Punishing the bullies? The stalking charges were dropped because NO ONE said anything to them about it, so there is no 'stalking'.
Yeah, she committed suicide. But blaming the others for her death is pretty much like blaming Budweiser for alcoholics who get DUI's.

"but MOM! You are violating my right to privacy!"

"You are my kid! You living in my house! There is no right to privacy from me!"

"But Mom!"

"When you are 18 and living in your own place... "

I thank God I did not have this actual argument with my son. We had a discussion that lasted less than a minute. He didn't argue. And he didn't hide either.

Clever Shapeshifter

14,015 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Timid 100
  • Hygienic 200
Nadine_Craft
Boy I just don't understand kids these days. The kind of dedication to hunt a person down online to harass them is just ridiculous. These kids just have too much time on their hands. They shouldn't treat that poor girl that way. Bullying was bad back when I was in high school but it seems like after I got into college it just got worse. There is even college campus bullying. But high school bullying seems to be the absolute worst out there. Why are kids so damn mean to each other? I mean being a little mean sucks but since when did these kids get so harsh on each other? These new bullies are so mean and cruel it's insane. I mean bullying has always been around but in recent years it seems like kids get badly beaten up and their things stolen from them. Harassed online and pressured to kill themselves. I'd like to know why children these days are so cruel to each other. We've always had mean kids from every generation in the present and the past but I would really like to know why newer kids have become so evil and heartless.

I was a victim of bullying when I was in middle school and it lasted well into high school ( I even go to college with some of my bullies) So I will just say that in my oppinion kids are mean to others because: 1. They were brought up in a bad environment. 2. They want to "fit in" and picking on another kid seems "cool". 3: They just want to be total dicks.
I will also say, that my middle school did nothing to help me during my ordeal. It got so bad that the police had to be involved (even they couldn't help me). So something needs to change in order to help prevent bullying.

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Children under the age of 16 have no place on social media. Kids under that age believe EVERYTHING ANYONE says to be true, and the anonymity of the internet make people more brazen than they were back even 10 years ago.
Nyadriel
Old Blue Collar Joe
Quote:

"But Mom!"

I thank God I did not have this actual argument with my son. We had a discussion that lasted less than a minute. He didn't argue. And he didn't hide either.

If you spring it on them all at once they get kinda squirrelly about it, but if the kids are raised knowing how things work, they don't have issues with it. And being a good parent doesn't mean smothering them.
Kaiser Khorosho
Children under the age of 16 have no place on social media. Kids under that age believe EVERYTHING ANYONE says to be true, and the anonymity of the internet make people more brazen than they were back even 10 years ago.

Sixteen? Hell, from 13 until about seventeen they shouldn't be on without adult supervision. Depressing teenagers is slightly easier than shooting fish in a barrel.
They come pre-programmed to cry and get overly emotional over traumatic events, like sunrises, sunsets, and every single ******** event in between.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Old Blue Collar Joe
Nyadriel
Old Blue Collar Joe
Quote:

"But Mom!"

If you spring it on them all at once they get kinda squirrelly about it, but if the kids are raised knowing how things work, they don't have issues with it. And being a good parent doesn't mean smothering them.

Exactly. You teach them when they are young what you expect of them and of the rules ahead of time. So they understand you. Also helps when both parents agree with each other about the rules so that the kids don't have any way of "playing" the parents against each other and creating a conflict between them. Meaning that when Mom or Dad says "no", the other parent says yes and an argument ensues. Instead the other parent should say "what did __ say?" and go with it and maybe quietly have a conversation with each other when the kid ain't around.
Nyadriel
Old Blue Collar Joe
Nyadriel
Old Blue Collar Joe
Quote:

"But Mom!"

Exactly. You teach them when they are young what you expect of them and of the rules ahead of time. So they understand you. Also helps when both parents agree with each other about the rules so that the kids don't have any way of "playing" the parents against each other and creating a conflict between them. Meaning that when Mom or Dad says "no", the other parent says yes and an argument ensues. Instead the other parent should say "what did __ say?" and go with it and maybe quietly have a conversation with each other when the kid ain't around.

Yep. My standard answer was 'what did your mother say?' They learned early on not to do that. She did the same. If we disagreed with the other, we discussed it in private, and then altered that particular stance, but it was rare.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff