Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
How do families move on from unspeakably tragic losses? For some, including the Oregon parents of two young girls killed in an October hit-and-run, the answer may be surprising: forgiveness.

“I can't change what happened to my girls. I've said many times I just want to wake up, reverse the clocks, but I can't change it,” Susan Dieter-Robinson, the mother of Anna Dieter-Eckerdt, 6, and stepmom of Abigail Robinson, 11, tells KGW in an interview Monday. But she and husband Tom Robinson say, amazingly, that they’ve already forgiven the 18-year-old who accidentally ran over their girls as they played in a pile of curbside leaves on Oct. 20.

“It's one of those freaky things that happen, the timing of it all, totally freak accident and they understand and realize that,” the couple’s friend, Pastor Eric Schmitt of the Sonrise Church in Forest Grove, tells KGW. He admits that their big-hearted reaction is rare, but adds, “By their actions, by their behavior, and by their character, that's who we're all supposed to be.”

Schmitt adds that the couple wants to eventually meet in person with driver Cinthya Garcia Cisneros, 18, to tell her they know it was an accident. Cisneros was driving with her boyfriend and her brother, according to court documents, when she rode over a large pile of leaves, felt a significant bump, and continued on her way home. After her brother returned to the scene and found out that they'd run over the girls, Cisneros's boyfriend, Mario Echeverria, allegedly took the SUV they were in to a car wash to remove any evidence. Both Cisneros and Echeverria were arrested based on a citizen tip, and both have since pled not guilty.

Dieter-Robinson and Robinson are not alone in finding the strength to forgive those who have either accidentally or intentionally killed their loved ones. Scarlett Lewis, the mother of first-grader Jesse, who was shot and killed during the 2012 Sandy Hook massacre, released a memoir this week, “Nurturing Healing Love.” She spoke during an interview about forgiving shooter Adam Lanza.

“It's my journey of trying to turn an unspeakable tragedy into something that will make the world a better place,” Lewis tells the Hartford Courant about her book, adding that she and her older son spent time learning about other tragedies and how people have healed from them. “If the children living in orphanages could forgive their neighbors who committed genocide,” she says, “then I thought I can forgive the boy who killed Jesse.”

Also in October, 26-year-old Devon Pulley, of Virginia, died after 60-year-old Kathy Ellis drove the wrong way on the freeway and caused a head-on collision. Now, Pulley’s grandmother Helen Bloomfield tells WTVR that she is grateful for the years she had with Pulley, and that she wants to bring a message to Ellis, who remains hospitalized. “I’m going to …let her know who I am and that I pray for her,” said Bloomfield. “I forgive her. God doesn’t make mistakes.”

Psychologist Frederic Luskin, author of the best-selling “Forgive for Good” and director of the research-based Stanford Forgiveness Project, tells Yahoo Shine that finding forgiveness after such tragic losses is a natural step in the recovery process. “When something really horrible happens, it’s highly motivating for people to find out what reduces suffering,” he explains. “And not blaming and not hating reduces suffering. With forgiveness, one of the levels of torment is reduced.”

Much research has examined the benefits of forgiveness, including a series of studies by the American Psychological Association that found it improves physical and mental health and restores a victim’s sense of personal power. One of the studies in that series looked at the idea of people forgiving the perpetrators of the Sept. 11 attacks just three to six weeks after the event and found that it was not only possible but “part of the package,” and helpful. “Those ambivalent about forgiveness reported more psychological distress than those who either had forgiven or who were against forgiveness.”

Jeni Burnette, an assistant professor of psychology University of Richmond, has co-authored various studies on forgiveness. She tells Yahoo Shine that it has been found to have remarkable physical-healing powers. “In the aftermath of transgressions, forgiveness can protect physical health by reducing stress and rumination. For example, forgiveness is associated with lower blood pressure as well as lower heart rate,” she notes. “Additionally, forgiveness of severe offenses has been linked to reduced anxiety and depressive symptoms.”

It’s those psychological relievers that motivate most people, Luskin notes. “After a while, the helplessness at being angry at something that can’t change becomes overwhelming, and it’s a destructive experience,” he says. “I think they get so tired of being battered by their own reaction that they say, ‘I have to let this go.’”

Hardest thing to do is forgive

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
I'm nominating the daughters for a Darwin award, and an honorable mention for the parents for not teaching them not to conceal themselves in the street.
Ratttking
I'm nominating the daughters for a Darwin award, and an honorable mention for the parents for not teaching them not to conceal themselves in the street.
Don't you have any empathy? confused

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Here Be Owls
Ratttking
Not for those who are as blatantly stupid as these parents and children were. I can empathize with the driver to an extent.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Quote:
After her brother returned to the scene and found out that they'd run over the girls, Cisneros's boyfriend, Mario Echeverria, allegedly took the SUV they were in to a car wash to remove any evidence. Both Cisneros and Echeverria were arrested based on a citizen tip, and both have since pled not guilty.

Let them both rot.
...Yeah. This entire incident is filled with stupidity from all sides. It's very sad when stupidity ends in death.
Ratttking
Here Be Owls
Ratttking
Not for those who are as blatantly stupid as these parents and children were. I can empathize with the driver to an extent.
I remember doing a lot of stupid things when I was a kid. I'm sure that you did, too. As for the parents, it's easy to make a small mistake and not be aware of just how terribly wrong it can go.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Here Be Owls
Ratttking
Here Be Owls
Ratttking
I remember doing a lot of stupid things when I was a kid. I'm sure that you did, too. As for the parents, it's easy to make a small mistake and not be aware of just how terribly wrong it can go.
I never did anything that stupid and my parents taught me not to play in the street without a lookout. This was not a small mistake, it was a hugely fatal one that could have been avoided by having had a modicum of common sense instilled.
Ratttking
Here Be Owls
Ratttking
Here Be Owls
Ratttking
I never did anything that stupid and my parents taught me not to play in the street without a lookout. This was not a small mistake, it was a hugely fatal one that could have been avoided by having had a modicum of common sense instilled.
I never did either, but I still feel bad for the parents and the children. They were just kids.

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
Ratttking
Here Be Owls
Ratttking
Here Be Owls
Ratttking

It was leaf day, people stacked piles of leaves along the curb in front of their house to be picked up the next day. The girls were playing at their curb when the car deliberately ran through the pile of leafs. The girls weren't in the middle of the road and if these idiots had not deliberately chose to drive through the leafs these girls would be alive today.

lastborntripletmack's Significant Otter

Popular Seeker

37,665 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Simple Romantic 50
Ratttking
Here Be Owls
Ratttking
Maybe if they were teenagers yeah, but we are talking about a six year old and an 11 year old here. Also it was not on the street, but the curbside.

lastborntripletmack's Significant Otter

Popular Seeker

37,665 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Simple Romantic 50
Malee
Ratttking
Here Be Owls
Ratttking
Here Be Owls
Ratttking

It was leaf day, people stacked piles of leaves along the curb in front of their house to be picked up the next day. The girls were playing at their curb when the car deliberately ran through the pile of leafs. The girls weren't in the middle of the road and if these idiots had not deliberately chose to drive through the leafs these girls would be alive today.
In their defense they probably did not expect the girls to be playing the leaves, then again they were not that young that long ago so they should expect things like that, but what makes them idiots was getting rid of the evidence.
Yes. Hide yourself among leaves, in the middle of the ******** road. Because that's the BEST way not to ******** die. Stupid kids not only got themselves killed, but probably caused psychological trauma for the poor people who were unfortunate enough to come across their idiotic paths

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
x-Garethp-x
Yes. Hide yourself among leaves, in the middle of the ******** road. Because that's the BEST way not to ******** die. Stupid kids not only got themselves killed, but probably caused psychological trauma for the poor people who were unfortunate enough to come across their idiotic paths

They weren't in the middle of the ******** road! The piles were against the curb so people could drive through the road without being in the way. The couple has already stated they deliberately drove through a huge pile that the girls happened to be playing in. It'd be similar to standing at your curb getting your mail and getting bit by someone swearing out of the middle of the road and hitting you.

If you are going to comment on what happened at least educate yourself on the actual story.
Malee
x-Garethp-x

They weren't in the middle of the ******** road! The piles were against the curb so people could drive through the road without being in the way. The couple has already stated they deliberately drove through a huge pile that the girls happened to be playing in. It'd be similar to standing at your curb getting your mail and getting bit by someone swearing out of the middle of the road and hitting you.

If you are going to comment on what happened at least educate yourself on the actual story.

Still on the road, against the curb or no, and they were still hiding from sight. Which, as it so happens, is the sole sense that we humans have to detect others when we need to know where they are. I mean, it'd be great if we could all be telepathic and know if there are people there, but we aren't. So hiding yourself from the sight of people driving machines weighing a few tonnes going fast enough to kill someone without a thought, while in the place that is specifically built for said machines, is about the stupidest thing they could do

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff