Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
When his 10-year-old son, Akian, started getting into trouble at school, Stuart Chaifetz was stunned. The notes from Horace Mann Elementary School in Cherry Hill, N.J., said that Akian, who has autism, was having violent outbursts and hitting his teacher and his aide -- behavior that the boy had never exhibited before.

"I could not understand why this was happening," Chaifetz, a 44-year-old animal rights activist in New Jersey, wrote on his website. "I had never witnessed Akian hit anyone, nor could I dream of him lashing out as had been described to me."

Read on

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
Quote:
the incident is "an internal personnel matter that the district took seriously and handled appropriately."

Teachers and other adults bully a child until he bursts into tears or lashes out, and all the school district does is "reassign" them? They don't even say whether these adults have been "reassigned" to jobs that will or won't involve work with children. Gods, if schools won't protect kids from adult bullies, is it any wonder they do nothing about child bullies?

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
I read about that, those teachers are a disgrace to educators everywhere with the way they apparently treated this child.

I wish they had gotten fired instead of apparently just being reprimanded and reassigned like they were. The way they bullied that child is not acceptable and they are people who do not deserve a job in education.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Tsuki_Kirkland
I read about that, those teachers are a disgrace to educators everywhere with the way they apparently treated this child.

I wish they had gotten fired instead of apparently just being reprimanded and reassigned like they were. The way they bullied that child is not acceptable and they are people who do not deserve a job in education.
Don't you love unions.
Kids at our school that are mentally handicapped have outbursts all the time, sometimes in anger, sometimes just because they want to. xD Anyway, whenever a kid like that walks down the halls going "DUHHHHH" everyone in the classroom starts laughing. xD

Moonlight Champion

xXShadow_wolf_demonXx
Kids at our school that are mentally handicapped have outbursts all the time, sometimes in anger, sometimes just because they want to. xD Anyway, whenever a kid like that walks down the halls going "DUHHHHH" everyone in the classroom starts laughing. xD
You know, it really isn't funny. I wont lie during my elementary and jr. high I also laughed. But high school and years past high school, it isn't funny. Imagine what that kid has to go through day in and day out? Some may understand others don't. Even if they don't understand it, it doesn't mean you have the right to laugh at them. That makes people who laugh at them because they are who they are, well it makes them bullies. I even stood up to a mentally handicaped kid in high school Jr. year. Darren, he is a very nice kid and couldn't comprehend when someone was making fun at him. Brett the kid that was the leader in the group tried to get Darren away from them worse than gum on his shoe. He even threw food at the poor kid. I told him to knock it off, guess what, Brett did stop and then I reached out to Darren asking him not to sit by them that he could find better friends out there. And he did.
final_wolf
xXShadow_wolf_demonXx
You know, it really isn't funny. I wont lie during my elementary and jr. high I also laughed. But high school and years past high school, it isn't funny. Imagine what that kid has to go through day in and day out? Some may understand others don't. Even if they don't understand it, it doesn't mean you have the right to laugh at them. That makes people who laugh at them because they are who they are, well it makes them bullies. I even stood up to a mentally handicaped kid in high school Jr. year. Darren, he is a very nice kid and couldn't comprehend when someone was making fun at him. Brett the kid that was the leader in the group tried to get Darren away from them worse than gum on his shoe. He even threw food at the poor kid. I told him to knock it off, guess what, Brett did stop and then I reached out to Darren asking him not to sit by them that he could find better friends out there. And he did.

Too bad I don't care, right?

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
xXShadow_wolf_demonXx
final_wolf
xXShadow_wolf_demonXx

Yeah, it is too bad. But when you become disabled, no one will stand up for you when you're bullied or assaulted, so it will work out.

Final Wolf, thank you for helping Darren and for appreciating that life is hard for the handicapped, especially when surrounded by abled-bodied jerks. Maybe some of your classmates will follow your example.
Vampirate Kitsune
xXShadow_wolf_demonXx
final_wolf
xXShadow_wolf_demonXx

Yeah, it is too bad. But when you become disabled, no one will stand up for you when you're bullied or assaulted, so it will work out.

Final Wolf, thank you for helping Darren and for appreciating that life is hard for the handicapped, especially when surrounded by abled-bodied jerks. Maybe some of your classmates will follow your example.

Too bad your an a**, right?

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
xXShadow_wolf_demonXx
Vampirate Kitsune
xXShadow_wolf_demonXx
final_wolf
xXShadow_wolf_demonXx

Too bad your an a**, right?

Just holding a mirror in front of your face. Keep braying. It's amusing. biggrin

Hilarious Regular

5,000 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
How the hell should a teacher that does this crap be let off with a slap on the wrist. As a father im definatly sideing with the dad on this one. This should not be let off with just a slap on the wrist. This teacher should be struck off immediatly

Professional Disser

35,840 Points
  • Nuclear Plant 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500
  • Super Jumper 500
xXShadow_wolf_demonXx

Excuse me, emotion_bigvein
But I have a brother who has autism, and this shouldn't be a ******** joke to anyone.

How will YOU feel if anyone in YOUR FAMILY or YOURSELF in this situation gets mocked, teased and harrassed because of a condition that they didn't choose to have? but of course, you don't care, right? because it's not happening to YOU.

Good lord, this is the first time hearing it. Thank goodness they gave subtitles since the audio's not the best, but this is about as unprofessional as it gets.

I'm glad there was a firing of the teacher, but the aides just got shuffled around. They need at bare minimum, retraining.

Dead Hellraiser

That's sickening. The teacher should have been fired immediately, not reassigned.
xXShadow_wolf_demonXx
That's lovely, did you even read or watch the video?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff