Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Wench

Couldn't you have stuck it on a little cupcake or something? sweatdrop
Drinks aren't exactly something that you're going to want to stick your fingers in.

Dedicated Student

Jeremy Kaji
Super Fightin Prototype
David2074
Jeremy Kaji
This sort of things happen when people think it's a great Idea to hide things in consumables.

Even with adults. And yet people gripe about kindereggs being banned in the US.

The capsules inside the kinder eggs are usually large enough that you wouldn't be able to pop the entire thing in your mouth without choking, yes, and you would damage your mouth by shattering the plastic if you actually tried chewing the whole thing.

I suppose they could use a similar design to the knockoffs that have been popping up. It would certainly bring competition back into the market - those knockoffs taste absolutely awful. gonk

That being said, is it really a problem in other countries or are we just too stupid and litigious as a nation to watch what we put in our mouths?
I think it is the litigious and stupid thing. There are to many laws out there to protect the stupid from allowing natural selection to do it's job. The Litigious thing came from that. Like the woman that sued Mc Donalds because she spilled her coffee all over herself.

The ones that survive because natural selection cannot do it's job live to sue and make it so that we can't have nice things.

To be fair to the woman though I heard that coffee was unusually hot. It was past the minor burns stages. She suffer second and I think a third degree burn. Yes we all know that coffee is hot, but it is usually not that hot. Not even the coffee that drips into my pot would burn me like that. Sure It would hurt, but dang. There had to be something defective with the machine if that was truly the case. Though I wonder. If it was that hot I wonder what kind of cup it was served in. I know a styrophome cup would melt, but I have seen coffee served in paper wax. The bottom might fall out if it's not constructed to handle the heat. Typically though it's handled a lot better heat. So something like that could house something that hot.

Just saying. Sometimes things seem stupid when they really aren't. You just aren't getting the whole story if that is really the case.

http://www.legalzoom.com/lawsuits-settlements/personal-injury/top-ten-frivolous-lawsuits

Feral Nymph

From the full story that David's article links to:

Quote:
"It's an amazing story," said Tucker, who hasn't decided on a setting for the diamond. She plans to bequeath it to her 13-year-old granddaughter, where the diamond will "stay in the family with a story to go with it."

Yes, sweetie, this diamond's been in your granny's colon. I want you to treasure it.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Jeremy Kaji
Super Fightin Prototype
David2074
Jeremy Kaji
This sort of things happen when people think it's a great Idea to hide things in consumables.

Even with adults. And yet people gripe about kindereggs being banned in the US.

The capsules inside the kinder eggs are usually large enough that you wouldn't be able to pop the entire thing in your mouth without choking, yes, and you would damage your mouth by shattering the plastic if you actually tried chewing the whole thing.

I suppose they could use a similar design to the knockoffs that have been popping up. It would certainly bring competition back into the market - those knockoffs taste absolutely awful. gonk

That being said, is it really a problem in other countries or are we just too stupid and litigious as a nation to watch what we put in our mouths?
I think it is the litigious and stupid thing. There are to many laws out there to protect the stupid from allowing natural selection to do it's job. The Litigious thing came from that. Like the woman that sued Mc Donalds because she spilled her coffee all over herself.

The ones that survive because natural selection cannot do it's job live to sue and make it so that we can't have nice things.

To be fair to the woman though I heard that coffee was unusually hot. It was past the minor burns stages. She suffer second and I think a third degree burn. Yes we all know that coffee is hot, but it is usually not that hot. Not even the coffee that drips into my pot would burn me like that. Sure It would hurt, but dang. There had to be something defective with the machine if that was truly the case. Though I wonder. If it was that hot I wonder what kind of cup it was served in. I know a styrophome cup would melt, but I have seen coffee served in paper wax. The bottom might fall out if it's not constructed to handle the heat. Typically though it's handled a lot better heat. So something like that could house something that hot.

Just saying. Sometimes things seem stupid when they really aren't. You just aren't getting the whole story if that is really the case.

http://www.legalzoom.com/lawsuits-settlements/personal-injury/top-ten-frivolous-lawsuits
The coffee was at the proper temperature for brewing - around 180-190 F. The cup did not dissolve, she was holding it between her knees and took off the lid to add sugar and cream and spilled the entire thing on her lap where it was quickly absorbed by her sweatpants and continued to scald her. There was even a warning on the cup that it contained hot liquid - as if people do not know that coffee is hot. She was an idiot and a klutz, and I am sorry that she was awarded anything.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Pessimist
From the full story that David's article links to:

Quote:
"It's an amazing story," said Tucker, who hasn't decided on a setting for the diamond. She plans to bequeath it to her 13-year-old granddaughter, where the diamond will "stay in the family with a story to go with it."

Yes, sweetie, this diamond's been in your granny's colon. I want you to treasure it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HenZ4Z7w0qM

Dedicated Student

Ratttking
The coffee was at the proper temperature for brewing - around 180-190 F. The cup did not dissolve, she was holding it between her knees and took off the lid to add sugar and cream and spilled the entire thing on her lap where it was quickly absorbed by her sweatpants and continued to scald her. There was even a warning on the cup that it contained hot liquid - as if people do not know that coffee is hot. She was an idiot and a klutz, and I am sorry that she was awarded anything.[/quote

Never said it did dissolve. -.-

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Lupa Fangs Makucha

You said "I know a styrophome cup would melt". No, it wouldn't unless they put it in the fryer. Styrofoam has a melting point of 464 F, almost 300 degrees hotter than the coffee was. She spilled it all by herself.

King Noob

that's hilarious... XD

Conservative Citizen

Haha, that's unfortunate. But hey, she still won! I'd still be happy to be the lucky winner of a nice diamond.

Dedicated Student

Ratttking
Lupa Fangs Makucha

You said "I know a styrophome cup would melt". No, it wouldn't unless they put it in the fryer. Styrofoam has a melting point of 464 F, almost 300 degrees hotter than the coffee was. She spilled it all by herself.

Yes, but that is not saying that her cup melt in order for the coffee to spill on her. Unless I was reading you wrong you seemed to read that I was saying that it did melt on her.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Ratttking
Lupa Fangs Makucha

Yes, but that is not saying that her cup melt in order for the coffee to spill on her. Unless I was reading you wrong you seemed to read that I was saying that it did melt on her.
Maybe I misunderstood you, but it still was not the cup's fault.

Feral Nymph

WHY CAN I TIP THIS ONLY ONCE?! WHYYYYY?!

Edited to clean up quotes

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Pessimist
Ratttking

]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HenZ4Z7w0qM

WHY CAN I TIP THIS ONLY ONCE?! WHYYYYY?!LOL, we should bring up tipping at next AtA. This was my fave scene from the movie, and it is so rare that I can post it and be on-topic.

Dedicated Student

Ratttking
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Ratttking
Lupa Fangs Makucha

Maybe I misunderstood you, but it still was not the cup's fault.

Never said it was to begin with. I guess that was unnecessary to add, but still never said it was the cup's fault.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Ratttking
Lupa Fangs Makucha

It's a bit off topic but there is a chemical (probably many) that will dissolve them. It was a cleaner pretty commonly used on the ships and in the oil refineries. (Also acetone does the same thing.) So every once in a while some guy would think it was cute to put a tiny bit of it on the bottom of someone's coffee cup. If sprayed on heavy the cup would melt like you'd tossed in a fire but if you only put a tiny bit on the cup it would take about 30 seconds or more before the coffee started pouring out of the bottom. Very juvenile but at times some industrial workers are.

But back on topic - yes to the other stuff in this conversation thread about the McDonald's cups being labeled Contents HOT and the dangers inherent to putting hot beverage cups between your legs and so on.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff